Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs - Tips on Identifying Symptoms, Treatment and Prevention

Tags: Poison, Dog, Health, Identification, Treatment, Prevention



Easily one of the most dangerous poisons your dog can run into is antifreeze – it is so poisonous that just a few licks can lead to death in just hours. Dogs, and even all animals, are attracted to the antifreeze through it’s sweet smelling and palatable taste and will lap it up unknowing of the danger. Lethal doses for a medium sized dog breed start at just less than a couple of ounces.

If you suspect your pet has been poisoned by antifreeze, it is critical to take him or her to the vet immediately. Within just hours your dogs liver will begin metabolizing the toxin into more toxic substances that will lead to organ failure.

What is Antifreeze?

Antifreeze is used in automobiles such as cars and trucks as a coolant in the radiator. The danger lies in opened containers or

Emergency Procedures - What to Do if Your Dog Gets Chocolate Poisoning

If your pet eats any amount of chocolate, call your veterinarian right away for advice. If you suspect your pet has had a particularly lethal amount, take he or she to the vet right away.

Other contacts: You can also try calling your local poison control center.

Alternatively, you can call the National Animal Poison Control Center at:
1-900-680-0000

Big Dog Blog
Do you read the blog?

Visit the new Big Paws Blog and information on new dogs, fashion, show, and more that's new in the dog world. Click here to visit and start reading.

Subscribe Subscribe to our blog

RSS Feeds for Dogs

 

JoinTheFamily!Today

Welcome to Big Paws Only with the best Big Dog Chat and Message Boards. Registration is Quick & Easy, takes only a few seconds, and allows you to view all of the wonderful pictures of our babies, and chat. Posting Pictures is really easy too, and we host them!

Register Here!