Dogs Eating Poop
Tags: dogs, eating, poop, cat poop, problem, nutritional deficiency
There are several reasons that your dog might be eating poop when you are out on a walk. Below are some of the most common reasons given by various veterinarians:
- Your dog might be just have had a litter and is keeping her whelping box clean and tidy;
- Your dog might simply be exploring the world around them;
- Your dog might have some serious nutritional deficiency;
- Your dog might be really bored;
- Your dog might be trying to get you attention;
- Your dog might be establishing a pattern of dominance; and finally
- Your dog might be suffering from a case of OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder).
If your dog is suffering from a sudden bout of stool fascination, rest assured that there are steps you can take to help your furry friend overcome this ailment.
- You can make sure that any stool samples are out of reach (if you have a cat);
- You can clean up right after your dog defecates;
- You might make the poop taste terrible by adding something really hot like a hot sauce to the pile;
- You can add more fiber to your dog’s diet to change the consistency of their poop;
- You can train your dog to “leave it”;
- You can use a shock-and-awe method in order to steer your dog clear of the pile; or
- You can step p the activity level of your dog so that they don’t have time to eat the poop.
If none of the above remedies work then you should consult your vet to see what exactly might be causing the problem.
Big Dog Blog
Do you read the blog?
Visit the new Big Paws Blog and information on new dogs, fashion, show, and more that's new in the dog world. Click here to visit and start reading.
Welcome to Big Paws Only with the best Big Dog Chat and Message Boards. Registration is Quick & Easy, takes only a few seconds, and allows you to view all of the wonderful pictures of our babies, and chat. Posting Pictures is really easy too, and we host them!