Author Topic: Gentle Leaders  (Read 18829 times)

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Gentle Leaders
« on: November 08, 2005, 04:39:12 pm »
Do any of you guys use a 'Gentle Leader' halter device on your large dogs?  I have used one to get my "puller" Dar to slow her down, and it worked like a charm.  I don't hardly ever have to use it with her anymore, but I was just wondering what everyone's feelings are on this subject.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Leaders
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 04:51:52 pm »
I do not like them... I bought a halti for Sophie and she hated it.  I did some more research on them and found way to many horror stories about snapping a dogs neck... Then we took her to obediance class and the trainer said not to use them so it is sitting in our leash box...

The way I stop Sophie from pulling is when she starts to pull I immediately change where I'm walking to the opposite direction that she is pulling so she gets a small tug on the leash and then has to change directions with me.  We do this a until she is paying attention to me and follow my every change (which used to be quite a few times... I think the neighbors thing I'm crazy :)  ).  I now only have to make one or two direction changes and she is planted at my side.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 04:57:34 pm »
Seems to be one of those things you either love, or hate, huh?  Like I said, I don't use it anymore, because I also have heard those neck-snapping stories, and even though I never really had any trouble using it (well, she hated it at first, but adjusted to it pretty easily) I went to a regular slip collar and also took some obedience classes.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 05:02:11 pm »
The same people who make the gentle leader came out an easy walk harness. The hook is in the front of the chest. It's made so when the dog starts pulling away you stop and that will make the dog turn around using it's own force. Check it out at http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74. My trainer recommends it.

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 05:08:08 pm »
My trainer wanted me to try a Halti on Apache. He looked so sad, my breeder said absolutely NO. At almost 3 years he doesn't even need a choker chain for walks, just his buckle collar.
I really like the plastic prong for Kiya although sometimes my little hunter needs something stronger.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 07:04:38 pm »
i took ozzy to the pet store to get one of the gentle leaders and he jsut about destroyed the store trying to get it off his face.  we went with an harness type one.  it seems to stop him from pulling too much.  patti

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 01:06:50 am »
I tried a GL on Earnest and he layed on the ground and hollered like I was killing him.  I used a plastic prong on him until he learned "walk nice". I still use it once in a while, as insurance if we're going somewhere that might be really  exciting.  My son took a class with Phyfe where there were a lot of little fluffy dogs, I wasn't sure how he'd react and we weren't allowed to use his prong, so I let them try a GL. He worked with it on, but his whole attitude was "I'm a good boy, why are you making me wear this nasty thing?" He was so unhappy, I won't make him wear it ever again.  Some people have great success with them, but I'm concerned about the psychological effects, I've seen too many dogs terribly depressed and upset by them.  At the kennel where I work I've only seen one or two dogs that really benefitted from them.
Here's two good articles about GLs and Prongs:
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/headhalters.html
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/prong.html

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 12:23:10 pm »
I bought a gentle leader recently because I started having problems with Zoot. I simply couldn't get past the part where he freaks out with it on. It made me sad. I really wanted it to work. I thought it made sense, and some holistic people were recommending it. But every time I have put it on Zoot I just end up taking it off so that he will stop freaking out.
 :(
I am going to do my best to work with him in just the buckle collar and really work on our relationship instead of trying to use a training tool. I am just such a believer in humane treatment and holistic styles, I hate that a product advertising to be that way seems to have more evidence of being harmful rather than good. But I know some people have used it and found it to be a great help.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 12:39:06 pm »
The first time I used a GL on Dar, she was about 8 mo. old, and she acted as if I had ruined her life.  I took it off, and tried everything I could think of to keep her from pulling me down the street.  I had a recent knee injury, and it was killing me to try to hold her back, so what I did was put the GL on her while she still had her buckle collar on, gave her small treats for taking a few stepw wearing it, and within 5 minutes, she had forgotten that it was on her.  Made walking her a LOT easier on me, and I usually used it when we would go to flea mkts or other crowded places that I wanted to have good control of her.  After using a GL for about three mo. and going to obedience classes, she didn't need it anymore.  I still carry it in my car, "just in case", but I've not had to use it for a long long time.

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 12:43:13 pm »
The first time I used a GL on Dar, she was about 8 mo. old, and she acted as if I had ruined her life.  I took it off, and tried everything I could think of to keep her from pulling me down the street.  I had a recent knee injury, and it was killing me to try to hold her back, so what I did was put the GL on her while she still had her buckle collar on, gave her small treats for taking a few stepw wearing it, and within 5 minutes, she had forgotten that it was on her.  Made walking her a LOT easier on me, and I usually used it when we would go to flea mkts or other crowded places that I wanted to have good control of her.  After using a GL for about three mo. and going to obedience classes, she didn't need it anymore.  I still carry it in my car, "just in case", but I've not had to use it for a long long time.

Thats great!  I'm glad that it worked for you and her.  I hope your knee is feeling better.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 12:56:01 pm »
I love the gentle leader.  I agree Rocco gets sad when he has to wear it but his sadness is nothing compared to the fact that I have complete control and can prevent any danger to my dogs.  In order for your dog to get hurt with gentle leader on, you have to use them improperly.  A dog can cause themselves harm with just them and a collar, bone, or even a sock. 

The gentle leader is very effective when training your dog.  Yes, the dog will fight it and try to get it off but I bet no little boy enjoyed wearing a tie the first time.  As long as you do it right, the gentle leader can be a valuable asset to a pet owner.  Some dogs don't need them but mine definately do, so I love the gentle leader. :)
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2005, 01:03:35 pm »
Thanks for all the pros and cons.  I was on a different dog forum a few months ago and mentioned that I had used a GL on my dog, and I got totally beaten up over it!! Those people were 'way too serious about stuff! ;D
The more I use this website, whether it is to add my 2-cents worth in, or ask a question (no matter how serious or stupid it may be), or just jump around and read what other dog lovers are saying and doing (not to mention the GREAT pics you all keep posting) the more I love this place! :D ;D 8)

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2005, 11:25:17 pm »
i have a GL, never used it hugo, although i would if i had to.  he doesnt really pull so i have no need to use it.  when he was going thru adolescence, he would get over excited and pull when we were going on our walks and such.  i just had to get a little tougher and yank back on his choke a couple of good times and put him in sit and remind him who is running the show.  he pretty much has been fine since.  one good thing is that i took puppy classes with him and that was one of the first things we learned-controlled walking.  i am thankful for that.  i am only 5'2" and he is a big dog for me to have to control physically, glad he minds verbally.  but i wouldnt hesitate to use the GL or prong collar if necessary (yes, i do have a prong collar also).  i would rather see someone using a GL than watch the poor person get dragged all over the place because the dog was uncontrollable .  there is alot of people who think a GL is cruel.  its even more cruel to let a dog be out of control (and dangerous too).   ;)
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 12:59:45 am »
My biggest problem with the whole debate is the way that an awful lot of trainers and vets reccommend the GL and slam the prong collar.  There are pros and cons to BOTH and it really comes down to what works for your dog.  It's the ATTITUDE that gets me going.
I've seen a lot of dogs who went to training and are months down the road, still fighting the GL and still pulling.  Some of these would be good candidates for the prong, but their owners have been told by someone that the prong is cruel, so they struggle on, both them and the dog frustrated and upset, conned into using a tool that doesn't work for them.  I know of 2 dogs that got rehomed in exactly this scenario, the new owner switched to a different tool, and the dogs learned fast.  The previous owner was heartbroken to give them up, but a physical problem made it impossible for her to continue attempting to walk them.  How sad that an inflexible trainer allowed her to think that the dogs were "stubborn" and "bad" when all they needed was a different set of signals.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 01:46:21 am »
I recently went with a gentle leader with Angus to try and curb his habit of jumping on strangers. The biggest difference I found was the strength that was needed to hold him back. With the GL I just had to have a good grip on the leash..... don't even have to plant my feet LOL. I think it will work for Angus but I am working hard to be the focus of his attention. When that happens I will stop using it. I had to buy a large GL and the nose strap is thin and it has rubbed off some fur on his nose so I had to stop using it for a short time. Also, in the instructions for the GL it mentions that it should be attached high on the neck, just behind the ears and then the nose strap can be looser. It takes me 10 minutes to get it high on Angus's neck, and a tight fit, because of all the Newfie fur up there!!!