Author Topic: Our feelings were hurt today...  (Read 17136 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Our feelings were hurt today...
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2006, 11:07:28 am »
Poor Bear!!!  I know I would cross the street TO see him!!! 

Harley would love to meet and sniff him - Well Harley has issues so he would want to do more than that....and yes he is fixed just a pervert!!

Before Harley we had stoli who was the CUTEST springer spaniel and people would flock to see her - now people are afraid of Harley because he is big (not in comparison to some of your dogs) and all black - truth be told Harley is so much more of a mush loves everyone and attention.

So Bear I hope this thread shows how much we all like you!!!

Randy & Harley

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006, 11:43:41 am »
That happens with Drake sometimes, especially with people who have dogs as well.  I can never tell if it's because they're unfriendly or if it's because they think Drake will eat their dog.  It's not like I'm going to yell at them, "HEY!  Why did you cross to the other side?"  The reactions we get are a mixed bag.  I've had teenage girls shriek at the top of their lungs in fear after we rounded a corner with Drake and surprised them.  Get a grip!  I've had people practically punch Drake in the head when he approached them and their dog, I just about punched them back!  You can't really assume why people are that way towards dogs, they may have been attacked in the past and are scarred for life, or they're unfriendly, or just cautious.  And then there's the little kids who run up to Drake and hug him without thinking.  Newfs just seem to ooze with Cuddlyness and it's weird to see people react negatively to them, but as inconceiveable as it is, some people just don't like dogs.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:46:24 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2006, 01:52:13 pm »
I know...most days though people with dogs here are cool though. They might say hello just to see how their dogs does and they might walk by with their dog in the heal position but they are not blatantly rude "Oh no! Here comes a giant...run!" Hopefully Bear will have BPO playdates soon and his brother by summertime sothen he can play with soemone all of the time!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2006, 01:55:50 pm »
....his brother???  Are you getting a puppy ;D ;D ;D

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2006, 01:59:43 pm »
....his brother???  Are you getting a puppy ;D ;D ;D

As soon as we get a house that is our first purchase...a baby for Bear. Haha...before a new car and furniture comes a baby.  ;)
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 02:24:28 pm »
I always find it amusing that the kids love the big dogs while their parents are afraid of them.  Kali alway gets the mixed reactions.  It's wierd how you'll get the ones who know exactly what breed she is and others who come up with the weirdest mixes. It's sad because there aren't many around here...so she only gets to see the two saints my vet owns.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2006, 03:27:17 pm »
Or you could make it work for you.. Put a muzzle on bear, spritz his hair up to look all wild, maybe do some incoherent muttering to yourself as you're walking him :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline cubes

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2006, 05:10:36 pm »
i have the same prob as most of you guys too, but the other day i was walking past a kids scholl at kicking out time, and this little girl rushed up to louis and jumped on him and hung of his neck with her legs just about reaching the floor. OK it could have been dangerous if i had no control over Louis, as its always a good idea to ask the owner if the dog BITES......... ...

it was so cute louis was just looking at me with a funny smile on his face that only us dogs owners can see saying, erm dad help get me out of this, i am a man dog and i am supposed to look scarry,, how can i look scarry with a child haning around my neck lol :P, but i could tell he was loving it, as i am sure all of our dogs do

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2006, 05:12:22 pm »
i have the same prob as most of you guys too, but the other day i was walking past a kids scholl at kicking out time, and this little girl rushed up to louis and jumped on him and hung of his neck with her legs just about reaching the floor. OK it could have been dangerous if i had no control over Louis, as its always a good idea to ask the owner if the dog BITES......... ...

it was so cute louis was just looking at me with a funny smile on his face that only us dogs owners can see saying, erm dad help get me out of this, i am a man dog and i am supposed to look scarry,, how can i look scarry with a child haning around my neck lol :P, but i could tell he was loving it, as i am sure all of our dogs do

Louis does look like a softy! :)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2006, 05:36:22 pm »
That picture of Louis is one of the cutest things ever.  It is quickly becoming one of my favorite avatars...  I might try to hang off his neck in a hug!

Cabo was a child magnet.  Kids never seemed to be scared of him - and he was always gentle with them.  Sometimes the strangest people would be scared of him though - I was walking him once in the bad neighborhood I used to live in, and it was dark out.  As I was walking down the street, the sidewalk in front of me was blocked by a group of guys standing outside and openly smoking pot in public.  I thought about the lightest I would get off would be with some construction worker type comments, but as I got closer, the only thing anyone said was "D**n, that's a big dog", and they all moved out of my way to let me pass.  Had they but known the truth. (Note to those of you who remember the story - this was not the incident where my dog exposed my boob to the gang members.  Different group of guys.  Different dog.  Cabo would NEVER do that to me.)

I have totally had people cross the street when they see me coming with Ranger, especially if they have a little dog.  It isn't like he is pulling me down the street out of control either... In fact, I have often wondered why I can control my 100 lb dog with one hand while the guy with the 10 lb Miniature Poodle looks like he is getting dragged by a team of huskies.  Maybe people just think that somehow my BIG horrible dog is going to try to put their precious baby in his mouth.  (Of course, in my case that is the RIGHT assumption, but it is rather a rather generalized one.  At least let him PROVE how awful he is before you make your decision!  :D)

*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2006, 09:01:29 pm »
^ We NEED to hear the boob story!

Anyhow, more people were scared of my little 40 pound Phoebe than humumgous Flynn. Some people would cross the road rather than go past her. I think it had to do with her looking like a black gargoyle with flaming red eyes and bristling hair, moving like a wild thing and if people called her cute she'd roar like a lion and the sound would come up from the ground like something out of a horro movie. Flynn just gets the ubiquitous big dog comments. He got called a beast in half admiration/fear by a bunch of teenage lads on bikes the other day (I HOPE it was the dog they were referring to!). And this little girl today turned to her dad and said "Will you just look at the size of THAT!" The tone of voice she said it in was hilarious.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 12:34:35 am »
Note to those of you who remember the story - this was not the incident where my dog exposed my boob to the gang members.  Different group of guys.  Different dog.  Cabo would NEVER do that to me.)

Yes, I am curious about this boob story.

Which, btw, had me bursting out laughing just by the picture you put in my head.  Now I would like to hear the story to go along with the picture.   ;D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 12:49:33 am »
I dunno the boob story, but Hobo Pantsed me yesterday. 

We had people over to look at the Jeep we're selling, and I was in my AWESOME World Tour Jammies because I was crappy and didn't give a S***.  Hobo has this annoying habit of walking right behind you and clowing the back of your legs.  Well the World Tour Jammie pants are WAYYYYY big, And Hobo yanked them down and these total strangers saw my blue microfiber with black lace accented covered bum!  The WORST PART is I just kind of stood there with my pants around my ankles and glared at Bose, and these guys were just staring at my butt, and the one guy says "Does he do tops too?"  Of course Matt had gone to change the jeans he had peed in from laughing so hard by this time.  And then they didn't buy the Jeep.  :(
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2006, 08:58:18 am »
Or at least tucked a five dollar bill in your knickers for the impromtu strip tease.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 08:59:30 am by Senghe »

enuffpaws

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2006, 11:41:35 am »
Hey Ang, If I come to see the jeep, do I get a blue microfiber with black accented show too?

You never know, as a sales technique, it might work for me...
Dale