Author Topic: Zeus was a good boy  (Read 3316 times)

Blair

Zeus was a good boy
« on: March 15, 2006, 04:58:13 pm »
The same little girl, that Zeus try to bit came over again today. At first I had him in his crate and he was being extrememly good. I let him out to go potty and brought him back in on the leash and the little girl was in the livingroom, so I thought I would try to keep him in the room with her on a leash. So I sat on the couch with her and he sat next to me on the floor and after awhile laid down. The little girl was playing with Grey and Smudge, and Zeus was watching her but he did nothing, no growling or snarling to stayed by me like a good boy. The little girl made no eye contact with Zeus. She wanted to pet him again but I told her not to right now. She walked by him and he stayed laying down. Totally different attitude then yesterday. He was acting like his normal self. I really wish i knew what triggered him yesterday  ??? I praised him and told him how much his mommy loves him  ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 05:00:15 pm by Blair »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Zeus was a good boy
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 05:28:33 pm »
That's great! Even if it's just a little bit of progress, it is progress!!! YAY!!! :D Baby steps. ;D

You can do it Zeus... you can be a good boy!!! We all know you can!!!! ;D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 07:57:36 pm »
I was hoping I'd come here tonight & see something like this about Zeus!...Just keep it up & I feel he'll be fine!

Blair

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:09:07 pm »
I had a local behavorist stop by for a very quick visit. He told me Zeus is not aggressive at all and it actually a very sweet Rottie, one of the sweetest ones he has met. He said he is overly protective of me. He will come back next weekend and start working with us, so I can understand how to control a protective dog like he is. He said other then this, he is a very well behaved dog. So from this one meeting, I think my boy will be fine. I might still contact another behavorlist to make sure he agrees.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 08:17:29 pm »
YAYYYY!!!! :D :D :D
That is great news!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 08:20:26 pm »
I'm glad Zues is being a good boy :)
RIP former BPO

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 10:18:25 pm »
That's awesome!!!!!!  Guess I should have read further before posting on the other thread!!  Good luck continuing to work through this!
Daphne

Blair

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 10:21:30 pm »
That's awesome!!!!!!  Guess I should have read further before posting on the other thread!!  Good luck continuing to work through this!
Thank you for those linked you posted on the other thread  :)
Hope I didnt sound rude in that thread, I didnt mean to.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 10:32:55 pm »
Thank you for those linked you posted on the other thread  :)
Hope I didnt sound rude in that thread, I didnt mean to.

I think we were posting at the same time.  I had just posted and then glanced down further and saw this post.  Gosh, now which one am I in???  Time for bed.  LOL!!!  Honestly, I didn't take it as rude 'cause I hadn't seen it yet! 
Daphne

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 07:56:02 am »
I had a local behavorist stop by for a very quick visit. He told me Zeus is not aggressive at all and it actually a very sweet Rottie, one of the sweetest ones he has met. He said he is overly protective of me. He will come back next weekend and start working with us, so I can understand how to control a protective dog like he is. He said other then this, he is a very well behaved dog. So from this one meeting, I think my boy will be fine. I might still contact another behavorlist to make sure he agrees.

I was wondering if he might be overprotective of you. My parents have a German Shepherd like that. I can't even walk him by myself. He does fine with my dad and my brother, but my mom and I can't walk him without him growling at everyone we pass. Our trainer said he recognizes my dad and my brother as higher than him in the pack and thinks that he needs to guard my mother and I. The good news is that a lot of times training can really help with this stuff. Rocky does fine for the most part now, although I don't live there anymore so I don't walk him but my mom can now. Zeus is a good boy and he wants to do the right thing. In fact, he probably thinks he IS doing the right thing by protecting you. Rocky would look so confused when I corrected him for growling at people. In his mind, he was just doing his job. We got help with him and it's alot better now. Sounds like you're making good progress. Zeus is so lucky to have a Mom willing to work with him. Keep up the good work! :)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 08:29:49 am »
I am soooooo happy for you Blair and you too Zeus....  we are cheering you on from Atlanta!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 11:53:50 am by EllieAndBlu »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 11:46:45 am »
That's great news. 
An idea about the trigger and see what everyone else thinks:
Maybe he's being protective with the new puppy.  he may not show signs of extreme liking of Smudge yet but maybe he's 1.) establishing to Smudge he's the big dog or 2.) making sure no one hurts his puppy brother.  ??

Keep up the good work and stay in charge.

Blair

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 11:53:43 am »
We were thinking that too Lin, but he started acting like this before Smudge, but then again he could be doing it more cause of Smudge.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 11:57:46 am »
We were thinking that too Lin, but he started acting like this before Smudge, but then again he could be doing it more cause of Smudge.
could be.  talk to your vet about it.  He is in his adolescence and might be going through some changes with his age.