Author Topic: Interesting article on Neutering  (Read 3428 times)

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Interesting article on Neutering
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:07:23 pm »
I saw this on craigslist...s omeone posted it

there is even more of it on the Yahoo group Orthodog list.

The Question Of Neutering and at what age
(written by Pam Davol of Wing-In-Wave Labradors, a noted research scientist and a Labrador genetic expert)

Owners who are considering neutering need to take all factors into consideration, not simply the benefits of neutering when making a decision as to when to neuter.

If one looks close enough, one will find that neutering is one of those topics in veterinary medicine that is extremely biased: that is, most often one will find more emphasis placed on the pros of neutering with more often than not, very little or no discussion of the cons. Veterinarians, and responsible breeders as well, face a true dilemma when discussing neutering. The overpopulation crisis presents a very real concern with regard to the necessity of ownership responsibility . Prepubertal/early neutering or required neutering provides a means for vets/breeders to enforce owner responsibility by ensuring surgical sterilization of dogs not destined to be used in breeding programs. Again, this enforced neutering is typically presented along with a preamble of all the benefits that go along with neutering. However, I believe that breeders, if not veterinarians, need to begin questioning the ethics of this approach to prompt or require owners to neuter; especially in light of the facts that early neutering may not be as benign a process to the health of a dog as one would believe.

Yes, neutering prior to the beginning of estrus does reduce risk for mammary cancer in females, but it also significantly increases risk for urinary incontinence in bitches which predisposes these bitches to diethylstilbes trol (DES) dependency (Stocklin-Gautschi et al., J. Reprod. Fertile. Suppl. 57:233-6, 2001 and many other references)--in some instances, DES is not effective at controlling incontinence and will force some owners to elect euthanasia. Though with lesser risk compared to females, early neutering also increases risk of urethral sphincter incontinence in males (A. Aaron et al., Vet Rec. 139:542-6, 1996.)

With regard to cancer, spayed females have a 4 times greater risk for developing cardiac hemangiosarcom as (vascular tumors) compared to intact females (neutered males also show a significant increase in risk for these tumors compared to intact males) (Ware and Hysper, J. Vet. Intern. Med. 13:95-103, 1999.). Additionally, both neutered males and females have a 2-fold greater risk for developing bone tumors (osteosarcoma) compared to intact males and females (Ru et al., Vet J. 156:31-9, 1998.).

Some evidence suggests that early neutering may also predispose to endocrine disorders later in life (Panciera DL. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc., 204:761-7 1994.). Furthermore, there is also an indication that early neutering (because absence of sex hormones delays maturation of osteoclasts and thus results in delayed closing of the growth plates in the long-bones) may predispose to increased risk for various orthopedic disorders (such as cruciate ligament disease as I had mentioned in a previous post). Also, some evidence suggests that there is a correlation between increased time for growth plate closure and incidence of HD in Labs (Todhunter et al. J. Am. Vet Assoc., 1997).

If one conducted a research of the literature on the detrimental effects on physiological development associated with sex hormone deficiencies during adolescent development in any other species other than the dog and cat, one will find a wealth of literature stressing the importance of sex hormones for sound physiological, endocrine and metabolic development. Additionally, if one examines the scientific research that reports the benefits of early neutering in absence of any side-effects in dogs, one will discover that the methodology of these studies are designed in very specific ways to assure that outcome in neutering is presented in a favorable light (this does not mean that the data is biased, this simply means that the comparisons made do not provide for adequate interpretation of long-term effects of neutering).

In light of this, though it is understandable for vets/breeders to urge dog owners to neuter their pets early with regard to the greater good (i.e. reducing risk of accidental breeding), the physiological soundness of the individual dog should take precedence over any other issues. As such, it is my opinion, based upon the literature that I have reviewed that to reduce risks to physiological soundness, etc, that I am of the personal opinion that dogs should be a minimum of 1 year of age before neutering.
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Interesting article on Neutering
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 03:44:29 am »
I saw this on craigslist...s omeone posted it

there is even more of it on the Yahoo group Orthodog list.

The Question Of Neutering and at what age
(written by Pam Davol of Wing-In-Wave Labradors, a noted research scientist and a Labrador genetic expert)

Owners who are considering neutering need to take all factors into consideration, not simply the benefits of neutering when making a decision as to when to neuter.

If one looks close enough, one will find that neutering is one of those topics in veterinary medicine that is extremely biased: that is, most often one will find more emphasis placed on the pros of neutering with more often than not, very little or no discussion of the cons. Veterinarians, and responsible breeders as well, face a true dilemma when discussing neutering. The overpopulation crisis presents a very real concern with regard to the necessity of ownership responsibility . Prepubertal/early neutering or required neutering provides a means for vets/breeders to enforce owner responsibility by ensuring surgical sterilization of dogs not destined to be used in breeding programs. Again, this enforced neutering is typically presented along with a preamble of all the benefits that go along with neutering. However, I believe that breeders, if not veterinarians, need to begin questioning the ethics of this approach to prompt or require owners to neuter; especially in light of the facts that early neutering may not be as benign a process to the health of a dog as one would believe.

Yes, neutering prior to the beginning of estrus does reduce risk for mammary cancer in females, but it also significantly increases risk for urinary incontinence in bitches which predisposes these bitches to diethylstilbes trol (DES) dependency (Stocklin-Gautschi et al., J. Reprod. Fertile. Suppl. 57:233-6, 2001 and many other references)--in some instances, DES is not effective at controlling incontinence and will force some owners to elect euthanasia. Though with lesser risk compared to females, early neutering also increases risk of urethral sphincter incontinence in males (A. Aaron et al., Vet Rec. 139:542-6, 1996.)

With regard to cancer, spayed females have a 4 times greater risk for developing cardiac hemangiosarcom as (vascular tumors) compared to intact females (neutered males also show a significant increase in risk for these tumors compared to intact males) (Ware and Hysper, J. Vet. Intern. Med. 13:95-103, 1999.). Additionally, both neutered males and females have a 2-fold greater risk for developing bone tumors (osteosarcoma) compared to intact males and females (Ru et al., Vet J. 156:31-9, 1998.).

Some evidence suggests that early neutering may also predispose to endocrine disorders later in life (Panciera DL. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc., 204:761-7 1994.). Furthermore, there is also an indication that early neutering (because absence of sex hormones delays maturation of osteoclasts and thus results in delayed closing of the growth plates in the long-bones) may predispose to increased risk for various orthopedic disorders (such as cruciate ligament disease as I had mentioned in a previous post). Also, some evidence suggests that there is a correlation between increased time for growth plate closure and incidence of HD in Labs (Todhunter et al. J. Am. Vet Assoc., 1997).

If one conducted a research of the literature on the detrimental effects on physiological development associated with sex hormone deficiencies during adolescent development in any other species other than the dog and cat, one will find a wealth of literature stressing the importance of sex hormones for sound physiological, endocrine and metabolic development. Additionally, if one examines the scientific research that reports the benefits of early neutering in absence of any side-effects in dogs, one will discover that the methodology of these studies are designed in very specific ways to assure that outcome in neutering is presented in a favorable light (this does not mean that the data is biased, this simply means that the comparisons made do not provide for adequate interpretation of long-term effects of neutering).

In light of this, though it is understandable for vets/breeders to urge dog owners to neuter their pets early with regard to the greater good (i.e. reducing risk of accidental breeding), the physiological soundness of the individual dog should take precedence over any other issues. As such, it is my opinion, based upon the literature that I have reviewed that to reduce risks to physiological soundness, etc, that I am of the personal opinion that dogs should be a minimum of 1 year of age before neutering.
Thanks Babs!...It is good to see something on the other side of the coin!...Education is always a good thing!!! :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 03:58:53 am »
I do not have the time to read the whole article so maybe this is touched on if so sorry..

I have 2 dogs who changed after being s/n. Neither changed for the better.
My Rat Terrier was N at 18 months old. Beofre the N he was friendly to other dogs and people alike. Within 2 weeks of the surgery he bite my husband followed by becoming dog aggresive and biting 3 people on total since he was N 6 years ago.
My latest spay issue is with May. Before the spay she was OVERLY lovey (and we loved it) always on someones lap or looking for attention. Also fetching was up there with the best things in life. Since her spay one month ago last Friday she is no longer like that. She has little interest in playing fetch and only now looks for attention from me (never the kids any longer). Even when looking for attention it is not like it was before it is rarer and short lived.
This can't just be me who has seen problems like this with their dogs??? Can it??
Sorry for any spelling errors teying to type fast to go make dinner:)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 04:04:05 am »
I was just telling Melissa that all of Sugar Bear growing pain and tummy issues started when he was neutered at 6 months.  I really wish I had not done it that early.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 04:09:33 am »
I haven't noticed any negative changes in Chester since he was neutered a little over a month ago.  He IS wandering less...which was the whole point in getting him neutered.  He is still his full of energy, happy, goofy self.  He was a year in February...so maybe that's why we haven't seen as much of the negative changes??  My biggest concern was him getting lured out by a female coyote in heat and then being attacked by the males.  It has happened in our neighborhood a few times and it scares the tar out of me to think of him being attacked!

It is such a personal decision but I think that unless you are planning to breed a dog, they are safer neutered than being intact....just my humble opinion. :)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:41:27 am »
We just had Lucas neutered a week ago...he's a year old today. I had always intended on neutering him, but felt very pressured to speed up the process as he was increasingly being picked on by other dogs at the dog park. We had a close call with a vicious jack russell, and because of Luke's size it was the best decision for our situation. So far he is the same goofy dork he was before  :D
We had Daisy spayed at 7-8 months and at first it seemed like her behavior worsened(she became VERY bratty) but she has mellowed out alot. It's hard to say with puppies since their behavior naturally changes as they get older.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 04:37:45 am »
We decided to wait and neuter Bubba when he's 2.. I read similar articles on neutering early talking about the pro's and con's, health issues and growth issues. Whether they are true or not.. I don't know. :-\ But it makes sense that dogs would need hormones to grow properly. But I feel that as long as the owner is responsible there is nothing wrong with waiting to neuter.

Keeping a female intact until 2.. Hmmmm.. I don't know if I could do it. A friend of mine didn't know her female lab had just came in heat until she decided to sit on my lap. UCK! :( It's so much easier with males. LOL

Offline berners

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 04:54:49 am »
Coopers breeder also suggested on waiting as long as possible to have him neutered, but to do so by the age of 2 as in his case he had one undescended testicle. My vet also agreed with this. Supposedly waiting longer then this increases the risk of cancer in his situation.
We had him neutered a few weeks ago just after he turned one. So far no change in his personality.
Jocelyne

Bart - Bernese Mountain Dog
Jessie - Leonberger
Cooper - Leonberger

Offline mariannawoof

• Ankle Biter
  • gotta love the kisses
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 09:29:03 pm »
I too neutered early on...however, not thinking much what this article pointed out... it was an excellent read and gives me lots to think of....but Duffy too had both testicles that had not descended...so it was in his best interest to get him neutered early on.... but  I haven't seen any changes in personality or such...all is going fine...but that was an excellent article and it gives me lots to think about.

xoxo marianna
Hugs & wags -
Marianna, Riley & Duffy

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 07:47:58 am »
We had Cirra spayed at eight months because we did not plan to brred her and believed it was the best thing to do from a health prespective.  I did have an unspayed female die of mammary tumors many year ago.  We were not concerned about an unwanted prgnancy.  After she had a cruciate injury we have read more information regarding the cons of spaying and are questioning our decision.  Obvivously, too late now. We felt that that surgery would be harder in a larger dog so went ahead at eight months after very specific questions to our vet regarding the cons of spaying.  Of course, he only mentioned incontinence later in life and nothing else. We have been so over protective of our girls joints that the cruciate injury was a surprise to us.  Ramp in the van since a puppy, excellent food, no playing on ice, no play with lots of dogs together, etc.  She is a very active girl and could have created the injury playing in her yard.  We believe we were making an educated choice regarding her spaying and now I believe that we didn't have enough accurate information.  We make our own choices regarding diet, limited vaccines and a conservative management approach for her knee and wish we had more information regarding the spaying.  Cirra is still the happy girl she has always been and her knee does seem to be improving with time.