Author Topic: WalMart denies entrance to Pitbull service dog  (Read 6336 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
WalMart denies entrance to Pitbull service dog
« on: February 17, 2007, 03:42:55 pm »
 ???
http://www.chloethepitbull.com/
On the evening of February 8th, I was shopping at the Huntington Beach Walmart with my Service Dog (Chloe) and daughter for approx 1/2 hour. Chloe was extremely well behaved.  The Customer Service Manager approached us and asked us to leave because “there are children in the store and we can't have a vicious breed in here.” I was stunned and went over Chloe's training, that she was an Ambassador for her breed, and emphasized what she was asking me to do was illegal according to 1990 American Disability Act 1990.  The Walmart Customer Service Manager said that she represented the Store Manager's position as well, and she still did not feel comfortable with the dog in the store and asked us to leave. I again emphasized what she was asking was illegal and to carefully consider what she was asking me.  She again asked if we could go, and then when I pressed her for it in writing, she said to finish my shopping quickly and not to linger.  I told her I wanted to talk to the Store Manager and followed her upfront.  After checking out, I asked her when he was coming - she said he look for us and is now busy. She confirmed it was his decision also and they just got off the phone. I said I would wait and to call him again, she said it would be a while and to go because “it won't matter.”

I left and called our OC HUGS Service Dog president. and then called the Store Manager with her conferenced in.  I first confirmed his position that he wanted us to go because of our Service Dog's breed and he said and elaborated his prejudice opinions, stating they were an 'unstable and vicious' breed and banned from different cities. He said he was aware of the Service Dogs and their rights, but he had never seen a Pitbull Service Dog in his 20 years.  He also emphasized that it was our responsibility to educate the public and we shared that is what are trying to do starting with him.  He was closed minded in his opinions, rude and insensitive, and finally apologized when pressed for one.  The incident is still on record and should have never happened.

We went back to the store two days later as we informed them that we would and approx 6 to 8 employees approached us stating that there was a big meeting and they couldn't believe it was blown out of portion.  One employee even asked "did you break her of her craziness?" and then went on to say how he heard how the breed had a 'crazy' gene that made them go crazy and hurt people --- UGH!!!  I was as polite as possible and informed him about the temperment test and the difference between human aggression and dog aggression, along with socialization and training, etc...

There is a petition you can sign.  I am officially boycotting WalMart.

(link fixed)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:22:28 pm by shangrila »
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: WalMart denies entrance to Pitbull service dog
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 05:56:57 pm »
I sent the online feedback on Wal-Mart a nice piece of my mind. That really angers me! >:(
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 06:16:43 pm »
That is outright discrimination >:(
If that were a person instead of a dog, WalMart would be getting sued.
I am so over ignorant people.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 09:25:54 pm »
???
On the evening of February 8th, I was shopping at the Huntington Beach Walmart with my Service Dog (Chloe) and daughter for approx 1/2 hour. Chloe was extremely well behaved.  The Customer Service Manager approached us and asked us to leave because “there are children in the store and we can't have a vicious breed in here.” I was stunned and went over Chloe's training, that she was an Ambassador for her breed, and emphasized what she was asking me to do was illegal according to 1990 American Disability Act 1990.  The Walmart Customer Service Manager said that she represented the Store Manager's position as well, and she still did not feel comfortable with the dog in the store and asked us to leave. I again emphasized what she was asking was illegal and to carefully consider what she was asking me.  She again asked if we could go, and then when I pressed her for it in writing, she said to finish my shopping quickly and not to linger.  I told her I wanted to talk to the Store Manager and followed her upfront.  After checking out, I asked her when he was coming - she said he look for us and is now busy. She confirmed it was his decision also and they just got off the phone. I said I would wait and to call him again, she said it would be a while and to go because “it won't matter.”

I left and called our OC HUGS Service Dog president. and then called the Store Manager with her conferenced in.  I first confirmed his position that he wanted us to go because of our Service Dog's breed and he said and elaborated his prejudice opinions, stating they were an 'unstable and vicious' breed and banned from different cities. He said he was aware of the Service Dogs and their rights, but he had never seen a Pitbull Service Dog in his 20 years.  He also emphasized that it was our responsibility to educate the public and we shared that is what are trying to do starting with him.  He was closed minded in his opinions, rude and insensitive, and finally apologized when pressed for one.  The incident is still on record and should have never happened.

We went back to the store two days later as we informed them that we would and approx 6 to 8 employees approached us stating that there was a big meeting and they couldn't believe it was blown out of portion.  One employee even asked "did you break her of her craziness?" and then went on to say how he heard how the breed had a 'crazy' gene that made them go crazy and hurt people --- UGH!!!  I was as polite as possible and informed him about the temperment test and the difference between human aggression and dog aggression, along with socialization and training, etc...

There is a petition you can sign.  I am officially boycotting WalMart.

(link fixed)

This is sad and disgraceful!! :'(
I would love to sign this petition as I am a Pitbull owner and lover and also try to do as much educating as possible. Yet I can't find the link. Please email me with it if possible. Thank you!!  :D
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:04:26 pm »
Do you know why this Woman had a Service Dog?
I am Curious why she needed a service Dog with her in Wal-mart. I know i wish my Dog was a service Dog, Because it would be fun to take her to Wal-mart with me. It would be to bad though if she had to have this dog with her at all times,and would not be allowed to bring it with her into certain places because of the Breed.

I must admitt since joining this Forum i am becoming quite Fond of the Pit Bull aka StaffordShire Terrier ;), and many other Dogs as well. I am paying more attention to the Dogs owners, and their temperments before i am paying attention to the Dog.. More than likely if a Owner is calm and Peaceful so is their dog, If a owner is angry and crabby than so is their Dog. We are more easily able to read Humans, and in doing so we are able to read their Dogs.

I hope One day things will change, and these Dogs are in good hands with good owners, so that people will realize that Dogs are what we Humans make them to be! Any Dog!

Shell
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:16:03 am by Saint Butterfly »

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 01:32:05 am »
Do you know why this Woman had a Service Dog?
I am Curious why she needed a service Dog with her in Wal-mart. I know i wish my Dog was a service Dog, Because it would be fun to take her to Wal-mart with me. It would be to bad though if she had to have this dog with her at all times that,and would not be allowed to bring it with her into certain places because of the Breed.

This is from the website:

NOTE: Have been receiving questions and want to provide clarity:  In the state of California, Service Dogs "in training" have the same full access and treatment rights as "graduated/certified" Service Dogs.  Chloe is enrolled in a professional Service Dog training organizaiton that has stringent evaluation and training criteria we are following and will graduate in approximately 2 1/2 years (no dog is certified under 3 years old). For those inquiring minds who feel the need to make a judgement whether I am disabled enough to own a Service Dog, not all disabilities are immediately visible and I do have medical needs that meet the State of California qualifications . This is a personal issue and appreciate the respect of privacy and sensitivity. As a side note regardless of medical condition, a training handler does not have to be a disabled person to train a Service Dog.  Chloe is my dog and being trained for me. The last comment, is that I am truly doing this for the education of public and businesses on the rights and uniqueness of service dogs, and also the positive promotion of pitbulls.  I no intention to sue or make money from this, but rather truly allow this unfortunate and not so uncommon situation to be turned into a positive and proactive voice joining the millions of others that have been fighting this fight before us.  Thank you for the opportunity to hear our story and your support!

God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Saint Butterfly

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 09:17:40 am »
Thanks Navarre1316 for the reply!

I just looked at the Chloe Website.. It is a very nice site, and a Very Beautiful Dog.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:39:25 am by Saint Butterfly »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 09:40:44 am »
That is horrible that they try to ban a service dog from their store b/c of it's breed.  They simply do not have that option and I hope they do get sued.

Offline Ice Blue

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 10:40:58 pm »
I can't believe the ignorance of people! GAH! This really hits home for me because I'm training my own Service Dog. What most people don't understand is that a service dog isn't just a dog, or a helper, they an extension of the person's body. Such as a cane or wheelchair. This frustrates me so much! Not only the discrimination of the breed but the audacity of people! I've run into some pretty annoying people, who want me to validate my illnesses, but this just goes to far. This has pushed me to program numbers of news stations into my cell phone in case I ever run into problems, which in all reality, I should never have to do, or even think of doing! It saddens me how dumb people are.

Ok rant over now :)
Caitlin

Remy - German Shepherd (7 mths)
Copper - Shetland Sheepdog (14 yrs)
Birch - Lizard (Mali Uromastyx)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 11:28:13 pm »
Wow, well it really does't surprise me, prejudice abounds everywhere and illegal or not, it doesn't stop people from being that way. Look at all the places that throw breastfeeding women out of their establishments etc..that's against the law too..doesn't stop them. But that's another issue.. Anyway, it's all very maddening.

I assume the woman is disabled and that's why she had the dog with her?..at least that's the way it sounded..I'm not familiar with the laws of service dogs, and I've never seen a Pit Bull one but I assume it was leashed and under control..that all sounds very silly, and unfortunate. :-\