Author Topic: Turning brown?!  (Read 6180 times)

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
Turning brown?!
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:53:42 am »
Hi!
Bear was a jet black puppy but now as her hair is growing and the sun has come out she is turning quite brown. Will this be her true colouring or does their hair change with the seasons?!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Turning brown?!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:55:57 am »
Awww...the red highlights have come to your puppy. Luckily it is just sun damage to the puppy coat and will go away. My Bear had major red highlights when he was a pup but has not really had them since he has gotten older.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:29:55 pm »
If it really bothers you, you can spray a protector on her coat.   We use 'Color.smart' on Chester if we know he's going to be in the sun all day.  You can find hair color protectors in the hair care section of most drug stores!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 01:30:41 pm by newflvr »

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 03:02:03 pm »
If it really bothers you, you can spray a protector on her coat.   We use 'Color.smart' on Chester if we know he's going to be in the sun all day.  You can find hair color protectors in the hair care section of most drug stores!!

i knew someone that fed her newf eukanuba, check your dog food, make sure no beet pulp in it  , after she stoped that food, he went black, and on to win in the shows. he had a red hue in his coat, a nono on black newfs, that show

hope this helps  but jbear knows best on this subject

do newfs come in brown??? also?
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 04:43:22 pm »
Is it red or bronze?

It is not unusual to have a slight bronzing to a black newfs coat. This is acceptable for showing in the UK. But red is definately something else and does sound like a reaction to diet and sun.

Hovis was named Hovis because of the amount of bronze in her coat when she was a pup.

Andy
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 06:54:23 pm »
Thanks for the tips everyone! Bear is a mix (Cane Corso) so no worries about colouring for show! She has been spending a lot of time in the sun so its probably sun damage. I will check out her food ingredients though!

Offline Jy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 07:09:06 pm »
FYI: Martha Stewart has her all-black Alsatian horses on her current farm exercised at night and stabled in the day to prevent them from turning red with UV exposure...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 07:23:55 pm »

Yes, Chester is a brown (also known as bronze) and if his coat bleaches out, he looks brassy.  We try to keep him in the shade during the hottest part of the day, or use the coat protector.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:48:44 pm »

Yes, Chester is a brown (also known as bronze) and if his coat bleaches out, he looks brassy.  We try to keep him in the shade during the hottest part of the day, or use the coat protector.
You bet Newfs come in brown..How old is Bear now?...I ask because Samson was white & black as a little pup & is white & tan now...You wouldn't even know it's the same dog...Sometime s puppy color isn't the same color they turn out to be...Here's Sam as a "tiny" pup...He is the puppy alone in the bottom right pic...then at 4 months....& recently.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 09:09:46 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 09:16:58 pm »
Bear is 9 mos...perhaps she is just changing, even her hair that lines the inside of her back legs is browny/red now which gets no sunlight exposure

I will keep you guys posted on her transformation . I saw her father which was a newf and completely black. I did not see her mother however who was a cane corso.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 10:13:14 pm »
 I did not see her mother however who was a cane corso.

What color are cane corsos?  Maybe her fur really is going to have some brown?!!  Post some pictures!  I'd LOVE to see her!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 11:51:05 am »
From the look of your pic, it just looks like dead hair that needs to be groomed out. Also, your description of the places where it's located leads me to assume this as well.

When we first adopted Onyx, he had "muppet ears" somewhat like your Bear has. We just kept up on his daily groomings, and after a short time, all that stuff shed right out.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 07:49:04 am »
I'd get a good pair of thinning scissors and trim the brown off ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 07:38:23 am »
When the coat dies off, it turns brown, the red tint may be sunburn on the ends but the whole coats that i see that have a lot of brown are due to dead coat needing to be properly groomed out with a high velocity dryer blasting it away.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505