Author Topic: Getting a boxer  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Sheehan B

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Getting a boxer
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:12:49 pm »
Hi my husband has decided that he would like to add a boxer to our house. I have been researching boxers for awhile now. Can anyone give me any insite on if a male or female would be better suited for our household as we have 5 kids ages 10 to 4 and have another older female pyr. Also what should i look for in a pup? I have read sooo much confusing info on what to look for. Thanks Ruth

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a boxer
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 06:42:02 pm »
It depends on how dominant your female is as to whether to get a male or female.  If she's dominant go for a male but if she isn't you could get whichever you personally prefer. Boxers tend to have heart problems so you want a breeder that doesn't have as many of those problems in their lines.  Also they are very prone to cancer I know a 14 week pup already diagnosed with it so also ask the breeder about that.  When you look at breeders look at the parents if they're on site.  Try and meet with your breeder and spend time with their dogs.  The main thing to look for is health and temperment...y ou'll want a puppy that will fit into your family.  Good Luck and I hope to see puppy pics when you get him or her.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline kokomama

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 03:50:12 pm »
I've got two: a male and a female.  Maggie is smaller than Trouble, but she is at the age where she wants to be dominant dog.  I'd recommend getting a male with your female pyr.  Even if your female isn't too dominant, I wouldn't want to run the risk of having problems with two female dogs in the house.

Just my two cents.

I do love my babies though.  :D

SA_horses

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:54:35 pm »
Welcome to Big Paws, Kokomama!

Sofia