Author Topic: Peace Love Dove, Man -- were you born in the 50's?  (Read 1772 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Peace Love Dove, Man -- were you born in the 50's?
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:52:16 pm »
Okay, had to do it.  I remember buying all those things they talk about in the "were you a little girl in the 70's" so I thought I'd start this up.  I may be all alone here.  I was born in '56, so I was about 7 or 8 years old when Beatlemania hit.

I remember:  Elvis (my Mom and her friends going crazy for him); the Beatles on Ed Sullivan; Chatty Cathy and Tiny Tears.  We'd never even HEARD of SPF's.  My family had a black & white tv we watched Jackie Gleason, Red Skelton, Mitch Miller, Gunsmoke and Perry Mason.  My neighbor had a color tv so when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, we all went to their house.  Go-go boots.  mood rings.  Clutch Cargo.  Captain Kangaroo.

Anybody else?
Sarah

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Peace Love Dove, Man -- were you born in the 50's?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 03:57:58 pm »
I can relate :)
Clutch Cargo LOL, I almost forgot about him.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

mjjensen

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 04:19:50 pm »
...Captain Kangaroo, Romper Room...Flash Gordon and Mighty Mouse every Saturday morning. The Banana Splits Show. I think Ed Sullivan was still in B&W the first time I saw the Beatles. The first TV show I ever saw in color was a Bonanza episode about leprechauns. Men in space and the Kennedy assasination.V iet Nam. Elephant bells and fatique shirts,everything covered with peace signs, making tie-dyed tee shirts. Saving my lawn mowing money for weeks so I could buy the Woodstock album. I could go on for days. Yeah, I was born in the fifties.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:11:00 am »
It's funny -- every generation thinks their music is the best.  BUT, even my teenager and her friends are crazy about the music I grew up listening to.  I've been adding classic cd's to my collection like:  Carole King, Tapestry; The Who; Lovin' Spoonful; anything by Joni Mitchell; CSN&Y; etc.  They're even "mixing" old rock songs with rap music today. 

We really did have the BEST time in history to grow up.
Sarah

mjjensen

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 09:39:52 am »
It's funny -- every generation thinks their music is the best.  BUT, even my teenager and her friends are crazy about the music I grew up listening to.  I've been adding classic cd's to my collection like:  Carole King, Tapestry; The Who; Lovin' Spoonful; anything by Joni Mitchell; CSN&Y; etc.  They're even "mixing" old rock songs with rap music today. 

We really did have the BEST time in history to grow up.
I've spent years trying to duplicate my album collection from my teenage years with CD's. The music back then was so good. I don't know whether it's actually better than current music but the memories it evokes certainly give it more meaning. My daughter is 20 now and she likes a lot of my music also, especially Pink Floyd and the Beatles. She really liked a song by Fiona Apple called "Across the Universe" when she was younger. She didn't believe me when I told her it was a Beatles song so I played the "Let It Be" album for her. She actually liked the Beatle's version better.
  I agree, it was a great time to grow up!