Author Topic: differences in the same breed  (Read 3901 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

differences in the same breed
« on: June 02, 2005, 11:39:25 pm »
I bought a book on the Great Pyrenees today & it is pretty amazing to see the differences in coat, body structure, & facial features in the same breed of dog...Samson's dad had a silkier coat & slimmer body style than his mom who had a stockier body & thicker coarser coat...Sams got his daddy's markings & coat but his mama's body style...I just thought this was interesting... Any input or comments on my observation?

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
Re: differences in the same breed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 03:23:15 am »
we have multi ridgebacks

one is taller with a black mask  her sire was lt. wheaton  her dam was a liver nose
she is deep red, dark brown eyes
our others are a wheaton  (golden red)  no black mask, one has a golden eye color, other has dark brown eyes
all are built alike though,,,,,,deep cheasts, heavy boned,  and all have differnt personalities
and all have beautiful ridges
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 10:48:42 am by taijinrr »
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 07:51:44 am »
In dobermans there is a distinct difference in body style between "show" dogs--more slender and refined boned, and "working" dogs---heavier boned, more dense and muscular. The german bred dogs are more likely to be the heavier dogs, and american bred more delicate. Both are workable and showable...tho se are just the terms that I heard to describe the differences.
Stella

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 08:06:10 am »
There is a huge difference in the look of a Newfy. Ours is a big boy and has the typical Pouch Cove look but there is another version of the Newf which is the Old Traditional style. They look so different. One is very muscular, even in height/length, short nose, well defined forehead and the other is tall, thin, with a long nose/face. The differences in looks is amazing! Bear looks so much like his biological daddy...he has the same punk rock mohawk and wrinkles on his nose.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 08:22:36 am »
As all of the Sint owners know, there is such a huge difference between dogs across this breed. It is easy to see by looking at all of the different Saints that are here. I think that the size difference that they can have is what surprises me the most!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 11:24:19 am »
Eww! A floating rib??  ??? That is nasty, but I'd love to see what it looks like. heheheh
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 11:39:35 am »
Merlin has one too. With him it is just a bump that shows up when they are positioned a certain way.
Stella

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 12:16:25 pm »
The only one that I have had with a "floating rib" is a dane male, you could only see it when he was bending down to sniff something on the ground or floor.

Stella..... I have seen that too, that a lot of breeds look very different depending on where the blood lines come from, and like you say especially the german bred dogs. In sweden we actually separate the two kinds, when you look for a german sheperd for example youd look for either a "german type" or an "american type" they look very much different. And it is that way with other breeds too. At conformation shows you can see that the judges like different types too.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2005, 03:34:53 am »
here is nakia  same breed 
a bit differnt  all are very accepatble  for the rhodesians
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks