Author Topic: Barkley ... either a neurological problem or injury  (Read 14275 times)

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
Re: Barkley ... either a neurological problem or injury
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 08:16:31 am »
Any news on Barkley this morning?
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 08:48:00 am »
Any news on Barkley this morning?

Unfortunately, it's not great news.  He remained comfortable through the night but this morning when we got him up (and we had to help him up) he's still knuckling.  His appetite is still really good though ... and he doesn't seem to be in as much distress this morning.

I have a major presentation to do in one hour, and am just so distracted by it all I can't stand it.  I want to be home with him!

I stopped into the vet clinic this morning and told them that no matter what, he would be remaining at home with us tonight.  If we have to have him pts in the next while, it will be Saturday.  Our boys will be back with their mother by then, so they will get an evening with him Friday night, and we can cook him up that steak we've promised him.

Having said all of that, I could go home in a few hours and find him running around the yard!  He constantly amazes me. 

I so appreciate the support.  Just keep praying that we have the strength to do what is right for this amazing dog.  He has been a faithful friend, and we do not want to cause him any stress or pain because we're being selfish.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 08:53:18 am »
Honey, I wouldn't run off and have him PTS. 

It could still be an injury, and swelling is pinching his nervous system!

Give this some time, help him move around when he needs it.  Maybe try some steroids to reduce any possible swelling.

I really feel like your vet jumped the gun here.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 10:23:54 am »

Unfortunately, it's not great news.  He remained comfortable through the night but this morning when we got him up (and we had to help him up) he's still knuckling.  His appetite is still really good though ... and he doesn't seem to be in as much distress this morning.

I have a major presentation to do in one hour, and am just so distracted by it all I can't stand it.  I want to be home with him!

I stopped into the vet clinic this morning and told them that no matter what, he would be remaining at home with us tonight.  If we have to have him pts in the next while, it will be Saturday.  Our boys will be back with their mother by then, so they will get an evening with him Friday night, and we can cook him up that steak we've promised him.

Having said all of that, I could go home in a few hours and find him running around the yard!  He constantly amazes me. 

I so appreciate the support.  Just keep praying that we have the strength to do what is right for this amazing dog.  He has been a faithful friend, and we do not want to cause him any stress or pain because we're being selfish.

Will keep on praying for all of you.  It sounds like you've got a great handle on the situation.  If he's not in pain, then it is certainly worth taking the time to say goodbye properly.  Your last line says a lot - you really are seeking to keep his interests foremost in your decisions.  You'll do fine by him. 
Daphne

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 10:39:04 am »
Oh, Barkley!  I'm so sorry to hear about this.  It's every dog-mama's worst nightmare and I'm so sorry you're having to go through it.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.
(Both of us)
Sarah

k2campbell

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 12:16:46 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear of this.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, I'm truly hoping for a miracle (but) if it is your boy's time, he will leave this earth being so loved  :-*

Take care, and please give Barkley a big hug and a kiss from me & Kate  :-* ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 01:02:14 pm »
Barkley is such a tropper & so are you Mom!...I am sending prayers for all of you. :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 03:29:02 pm »
Just checking in to see how your day went...and Barkley's.  I'd love to hear that he was running all over the yard and waiting for you with that slowly wagging Newfy tail.....

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 03:55:25 pm »
Let's hope that Barkley is doing zoomies before the weekend.

You and your family are in our thoughts.

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 05:30:53 pm »
Sending you & your family hugs & prayers. I hope Barkley is doing much better tonight.
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 05:49:03 pm »
you really are so strong, i don't know what i would do in your situation, but i feel like if i was ever in that postion, i would hope that i could be 100% as strong as you.  Barkley seems to have been a fantastic friend and i agree that if he is happy and is eating and pooping (basic needs) then you can definately enjoy his amazing, loving, and fluffy company for a little longer..
fumble sends sloppy licks to barkley!  and hugs to you!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 09:32:15 pm »
Here's our well wishes and happy thoughts to both you and Barkley. We're praying for things to get better quickly.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 04:28:48 am »
Thanks everyone.
It's Friday morning, and it's not good.  I slept downstairs with him last night.  This morning, he was able to get himself up to go outside to pee, but he didn't have a bm.  He is still having trouble with his hind quarters, and his breathing is more laboured than it has been in the last while.  He wouldn't eat a treat, and I had to hand feed him his breakfast.  Even then, he only took about four mouthfuls of chicken, rice and canned/kibble.

We have decided to nurse him through today (I'm off work today); let the kids say goodbye to him tonight, and take him to the vet tomorrow for the final time.

Even as I type that, I can't believe it.  I know it's the right thing to do but man, it sucks.  I just want him to keep what dignity he does have in place, and like you all have said, I can see by looking in his eyes, that although his spirit is still strong, his body is telling us all it's time to say goodbye.

Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 04:57:25 am »
This is very sad news. I wish you all the best and strength required to get through this difficult time. Trust your heart.
Andreau and Angus

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 05:19:15 am »
Your have our prayers at this very hard time.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)