Author Topic: Appointment is Made for Barkley  (Read 18488 times)

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Appointment is Made for Barkley
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2006, 03:48:31 pm »
 :'(  My eyes are filled with tears as I write this. I'm so sorry. Barkley is such a lucky boy to have such a loving Family. I know he has truly blessed your life. You remain in our thoughts and prayers, especially tonight.

Sending you hugs!
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2006, 04:26:49 pm »
Wait, she's in Nova Scotia, right???

It's 6:27 PM there......

I didn't realize that Barkley was in Nova Scotia...I've said a prayer for him & his family & tonight I will light up the fire with a bunch of sparklers to celebrate his life...I am sure all the angles in Heaven wait a turn to pet his furry head!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2006, 04:29:18 pm »
I just placed some flowers on Rosie's grave for Rosie and Barkley.  The pink roses are for Rosie and the white gardenia is for Barkley.  Godspeed to a very special place Barkley.   :'( :'(
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2006, 05:16:28 pm »
It's funny....I was thinking the same thing.  Where else in the world could you be so loved and comforted in losing part of your heart:  also called a dog in some societies!!

Barkley, your soul is with all of us!  God Speed, buddy!!!

DakotaMom

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2006, 05:38:00 pm »
I don't know what to say. It is hard to type throught the tears. God speed Barkley.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2006, 06:06:28 pm »
Oh sweet Barkley , you're free now , no more pain ! Barkley's mom , I am so sorry *hugs* Just think , when you go to heaven you'll have a gorgeous newfie waiting for you !That's everybody's dream ! I'm praying for you , we all love Barkley and you so much !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2006, 06:28:34 pm »
 :'( :'(My tears are falling for you and your family as well.  As I looked over Barkley's Paw Print, I realized that you brought as much joy to Barkley as he did to you.  You gave him the opportunity to have a great life bringing him home from the SPCA.   :) 

No more pain now for Barkley. :)  But I am so sorry for the decision you had to make and the heartbreak you face this weekend and into the days ahead.  :-*  <<<hugs>>> 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2006, 06:46:32 pm »
I was searching for some eloquent phrase to give you some comfort.  I think this comes closest to what I'm feeling:

Kahlil Gibran:
... joy and sorrow are inseparable. . . together they come and when one sits alone with you . . . remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

I saw this thread earlier and could not bring myself to post. I think Einstein's Mom's quote above expresses my feelings quite well.
While I was not privileged enough to have met Barkley I feel a loss just as I am sure everyone else on BPO does. Barkley you have touched many people most of whom only know you through your Mom's eyes. You have always been loved, now you will also be missed. Our family sends our condolences. Kali and Tim

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2006, 07:00:06 pm »
I am completely and absolutely overwhelmed by you amazing people.  From the bottom of my broken heart, thank you.  You have filled me up over the past weeks, and especially today, in ways that I could never be able to describe to others and have them believe.  The pictures of candles and flowers, the gifts of poems, the shared tears, the wishes of godspeed and the promise of all your amazing buddies waiting to welcome Barkley at the bridge helped me through this day, and gave me the words I needed to speak to him, and to our two boys, tonight.

I may write more in the Bridge section, but wanted to let you all know what took place while it's still vivid for me. 

I spent the last three hours that we had alone in the house here just sitting on the basement floor with him.  He wouldn't eat or drink, so we just hung out and talked.  I swear he nodded at me a few times.  In fact, once I said "did you just nod?" and he nodded!  :D  He always was a smart guy ... understood every word we were saying and could put us on ignore when it was convenient.

My husband's two boys ended up coming to us unexpectedly tonight, which turned into a mixed blessing. The youngest joined Barkley and I on the floor, and my heart broke as he cuddled his buddy and sobbed.  Then he started to tell me about a book that he had read at school that spoke of a bridge that dogs cross, and when they cross they are given a drink from a fountain called the fountain of memory.  This drink lets them remember all the good things about the people who love them.  (This boy is 8 and never ever fails to amaze me)  Through his sobs he said "I want Barkley to remember that I love him, and that I fed him cookies, and that I didn't want him to go yet".

When it got close to the time, we got Barkley up.  He walked on his own, with just a little help, to the truck.  He has never just lay in the truck for any trip, but tonight he just lay down.  There is no doubt in my mind that he was ready to cross tonight.

We walked into the clinic and his favourite vet assistant was working.  She took us all into the room where she had made the most awesome, comfy bed for him on the floor.  He immediately lay down right on the bed.  She cuddled him for a bit before leaving.  They let us have some time with him in there, and then the vet came in.  We had decided that my husband would go with the kids to the waiting area while I stayed with Barkley.  I thought I was really going to mind it, but in the end, it was a blessing for me to be alone with him.

As my husband said, it was a fitting end.  I brought him home from the SPCA alone (we weren't married when Barkley and I found each other) and I brought him home to the bridge alone.

He placed his head in lap and locked eyes with me.  I stroked his head, and told him it was ok, and how very much I loved him.  The vet and the tech were both telling him what a good guy he was ... and how strong and brave he was ... and what a good friend he was.  His paw sagged as the light faded from his eyes.  He gave a very large, relieved sigh .... and a few seconds later, gave a second softer, peace filled sigh.  And it was done.

We covered him with a blanket.  They left me with him and I was able to say goodbye on my own.  I put his head gently down on the pillows.  He looked like he always did when he lay in his wonky leg position on the floor at home.

And then gathered my little family up and came home to our Sheba girl.  She got some extra lovings tonight as a thank you for her patience and kindness toward her buddy the last few weeks.

Thank you all again.  I don't think I'll ever be able to express what your support has meant to me - to know that I had a place to go where people understood that your dog is more than just a dog - he is part of your life.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2006, 07:24:27 pm »
I'm with Tina on this...I can't see through the tears and we have dinner guests arriving in 5 minutes!!! 

You did do the kindest thing and I know how it hurts.  I feel, through your words, as if I knew Barkley and I already miss him.  Please continue to post how you and your family are doing.  I care;  we care!!!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2006, 07:38:06 pm »
Well I just finished cuddling with Zoey so she could wipe away my tears from having read your story  :'(

I am sure Barkley is looking down on your from doggy heaven and thanking you for all the love that you gave him
RIP former BPO

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2006, 07:39:11 pm »
I'm crying and I'm sorry-I don't know what to tell you. Sadie came over as I started tearing up and put her head in my lap. They're special, and you just have to hold on to the good memories. Take care.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 08:11:12 pm »
I too am at a loss for words.  :'( Know that we are here for you.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2006, 08:30:55 pm »
I know you and your family are hurting from the loss of your dear friend, but know that we all send you our best hopes and good thoughts.  Good bye dear barkley.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 08:53:46 pm »
He's playing with them all now. All of our over the bridge pals. They're playing and howling and running and eating every kind of food they want! I can just see them. I'm again very sorry for your loss. Please know you did what is best, and Barkley knows you loved him so much.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."