Author Topic: Switching foods  (Read 2850 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Switching foods
« on: May 22, 2006, 12:45:46 pm »
Okay, so...I have been feeding Tonka Nutro because it is a fairly good food and it is available right here on the base.  Well...I just read that Nutro tested positive for pentobarbital  :o(the chemical used to euthanize animals) and am switching. 
My question is out of Royal Canin, Solid Gold or Chicken Soup (the foods I have found available nearby) which is the best one for Tonka (assuming he has an iron stomach and will not have any adverse/sick reactions to any of them).  Thanks guys!
I am kind of a big deal!

Kiahpyr

Re: Switching foods
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 01:07:51 pm »
I would stick with Solid Gold or Chicken Soup. Both are very good foods!

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:10:14 pm »
You would really be OK with any one of those three foods. They're all high-quality premium foods.

I would just go with whichever one Tonka seems to like and tolerate. Look at the ingredients. Corn can sometimes cause problems.

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:14:02 pm »
  i currently feed my puppy cooper solid gold. it is a great food, though he does sometimes have really soft poop but im not sure thats from the dog food, or other treats we give him.
  however, i just recently became familiar with chicken soups food and think that is sounds excellent. so excellent that i am considering switching cooper to it next time i need to buy dog food.
  i think you will be fine with solid gold or chicken soup. just look at the ingredients and see which one you like better. both are good quality.
  Lulu

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 01:40:55 pm »
Well I went to the pet supply store and they had just begun carrying Canidae, so that is what I have bought.
I am blown away by the difference in how much he gets fed at a time!!  Canidae portions are almost half of what he was eating on a daily basis with the Nutro!  The lady at the store was familiar with Danes and suggested that I give Canidae a first shot and see how he does and she told me how to introduce the new food.
My next question...
Is it okay to just switch him completely without portioning it gradually.  I really don't want to give him Nutro anymore considering its lethal ingredients.  Should I still go ahead and portion it with whats left of the Nutro??
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 03:25:48 pm »
BUMP**
cuz I need to know, please! :)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 04:52:53 pm »
OOPS, I don't think I posted this!  This is why I am concerned about even portioning it, I guess, though since he has been on it this whole time another week for the transition won't hurt.

http://www.petcaretips.net/euthanized_pets.html
Here are the brands that tested positive for pentobarbital residue (chemical used to euthanize animals):

(please note not all brands of pet foods were tested)

Nutro
Ol'Roy
Trailblazer
Dad's
Weis Value
Super G
Richfood
Pet Essentials
America's Choice
Ken-L-Ration
Heinz
Kibble Select