Author Topic: Rottie in VA needs a home (crosspost)  (Read 10346 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Rottie in VA needs a home (crosspost)
« on: May 24, 2006, 06:31:18 pm »
This was sent to me by a friend--

-----------------------------
OK so all of you know, if you know me at all, that i love dogs more than anything. yesterday on the way back to nyc from charlotte, evan spotted a dog lying on the side of the road in Dinwiddie, VA, outside of Richmond. i made him throw it in reverse and go back. thats where we met ralph! the most amazing rotti i have ever laid my eyes on! except he was completely emaciated and covered in cuts and infections and ticks! no tags! nothing!

he let us leash him, not even a growl! he just starred at us like he had just won the lottery! we gave him tons of food and and checked him out for broken bones. all he wanted to do was snug! he leaned into me and put his head on my leg and i thought i was going to die. when we fed him he'd let us pet him, no growling. he is not scary!! people are so freaked out by rotts and its stupid! this dog is a freaking puff monster!!

the problem is...my dogs were in our car and there was no way to get him in there too. so we were forced to leave him with animal control. LUCKILY!!! Dinwiddie VA's animal control person is amazing! she gave me all the info so i could keep in touch and has agreed to help me do whatever to help find him a home!

she sent me this today!

-----------------------

Hi Lesli,

Ralph? Is doing good. I have cleaned the wounds behind his ears, lots of infection, and put medication on them. He is about the sweetest dog I have ever seen! If you find an adopter or rescue, we would have to neuter him before leaving Dinwiddie County. No problem there. He is located at Dinwiddie Animal Shelter which is beside the landfill on Wheelers Pond Rd. I will work with you any way possible to get this guy a good home. BTWyou ought to hear him howl! WOW! Hes loud and sounds like a hound!

Keep in touch and thank you so much for the help last night!

Mary
------------------------

ok so heres the deal! he needs a freaking home! he needs to snug and cuddle and eat tons of food and lay on a couch for the rest of his life! so if you or anyone you know would like to adopt him! LETS DO THIS! it doesnt matter where you live! we can work that out! if i have to, ill go get him myself and deliver him to you! he is seriously worth this! if i didnt have 2 dogs already in brooklyn, id take him myself, but fortunately i have the moods and rhoods!

so this is ralph! im calling him that cause he reminds me of my dad. broken down, beaten up, barely holding on and still maintains the most amazing demeanor ever with the sweetest face to boot!

so this is how you'd go about getting him...

Dinwiddie Animal Shelter
10903 Wheelers Pond Rd.
Dinwiddie, VA 23841
Phone: 804-469-4547

Email: mellison@dinwiddieva.us

---------------------------------------------------

I am kind of a big deal!

doggylover

Re: Rottie in VA needs a home (crosspost)
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:50:30 pm »
I just read your post and I'm crying.  I have a HUGE soft spot for rotty dogs, but we are committed to getting a bullmastiff puppy in 6 weeks, and even if we weren't, my hubby is adamantly opposed to bringing an older dog (of unknown temperament... don't get me started) into the home. 
This is just really bothering me.  Ralph sounds like an angel.  Can you please let me know what happens with him?  Is he in a kill shelter?  Or one where they sell dogs to class b dealers, then they go for medical research?  Do you know what happens to him, where he is, if nobody rescues him?  This is just awful.  I may have to fight with my hubby over this if nobody rescues him.  Please Please Please let me know where this stands.  PLEASE
 :'( :'(
Ronda

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 10:19:02 pm »
I am waiting on more info to pass on to you! 
I know how you feel, if I could I would take him immediately, this story is heartbreaking! :'(
I am kind of a big deal!

doggylover

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 10:27:57 pm »
I am waiting on more info to pass on to you! 
I know how you feel, if I could I would take him immediately, this story is heartbreaking! :'(
Thank You!!!!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 11:03:22 pm »
I googled it and it is a kill shelter :'(, let me know if you hear back from them before I find out anything.
http://www.dinwiddieva.us/CountyDepartments/AnimalControl/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.htm
I am kind of a big deal!

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 11:42:17 pm »
I googled it and it is a kill shelter :'(, let me know if you hear back from them before I find out anything.
http://www.dinwiddieva.us/CountyDepartments/AnimalControl/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions.htm
I will for sure.  Hubby just got home and he is not happy.  I'm going to work on him to let us just take the dog as a foster for 6 weeks until we have to pick up our puppy.  This isn't going over well.  Do you know of any other options?  I just feel sick.
 :'(

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 11:46:21 pm »
Hopefully, the word has gotten out and he will (or already has)found a home.  She emailed it and posted it on her myspace so it is circulating.  I want to call tomorrow during business hours and see if they will give me any information (if Laura doesn't get back to me before then).
She is east coast so, I am sure, she is gone nighty night.  I will keep ya posted with anything I find out til then though. 
I am kind of a big deal!

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 11:51:00 pm »
LOL hubby says the reason he doesn't want to foster is because he claims that once Ralph is here, I won't be willing to let him go... :-\  and that we can't afford 3 huge dogs, one with ongoing orthopedic problems.  We have spent around 8 grand on doggy related stuff in the last year  :-[.
I will talk to him some more tonight... ;)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 12:23:03 am »
You are a bigger person than me, I would be to afraid to even suggest it to my husband lol!  He hears me bit*hing enough with the housefull I have! ::)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 09:13:07 am »
The rotti was adopted!!  Passing along this update from my friend:

Body: I just recieved this from Mary at Dinwiddie Animal Control!

----------------

Hi,

Boy, the responses have been mind boggling! We have an adopter! Thank you so much! You can take him off now, before my computer blows up! Again, thank you!

Mary

------------

thank you to all of you who helped out!!! i am so freaking excited i cant stand it! i cant stop crying!!
I am kind of a big deal!

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:30:34 am »
yaayyyyyy  - that is the best news of the day!

doggylover

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 02:29:11 pm »
Thank GOD! YAYAYYAYAY for Ralph!!!!! Yayayayay for my marriage!!!!! :D :D
YAYAYAYAY for that furry little cutie in the middle of all this noise!!!!!
Thank you so much Stacy, for helping in his rescue!
(((((((((((((Stacy))))))))))))))))))))))))))