Author Topic: Triple Pelvic Osteotomy  (Read 3024 times)

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Triple Pelvic Osteotomy
« on: June 03, 2005, 02:20:59 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with this surgery?  We are having more x-rays taken of Cooper's hips next week to see if he's a candidate for the surgery.  It sounds promising (although EXPENSIVE!) but I'd like to hear from anyone who's done it and whether they'd do it again.
And does anyone know whether there are any fairy godmother organizations that help fund expensive vet procedures?  We could use the help!
Maggie

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Triple Pelvic Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 03:34:31 pm »
I hope that a piggy bank comes rolling your way soon! I just read about it online and it sounds so painful! I'm glad that it had such a high rate of success though. Good luck and keep us updated.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 05:49:14 pm by jabear »
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 06:37:48 am »
A distant friend of mine (who I seemed to have lost touch with) had this surgery performed on her Newfy. Her pup couldn't have been more than a year or two old at the time, but I believe the surgery was a success. Sorry but I really don't have much information beyond this. It has been many years, but I remember it because after the surgery she talked about driving 100 miles away three times a week so her Newf could go to rehab at a pool specifically for canine rehab. Kinda cool that her Newfie could go to water therapy class, but THAT too was rather expensive.

I know most vets will generally work with you on financing, but I'm not sure about fairy godmother organizations. Is the surgery an immediate thing? In the next month? In the next 6 months?

Wish you the best of luck.

Jason

Offline maggieb

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 12:24:57 pm »
Thanks Jason.  There is a small window of opportunity with this surgery because it needs to be done while they are still growing.  He's 7 mos this week so it will have to be in the next month or two at most.  If we don't do it, the vet said it is only 20% chance he will have a somewhat normal life.  We could always do a total hip replacement down the line but that is twice as expensive and I don't see the point in letting him decline if we can prevent it now.
Maggie