Author Topic: My rescued Golden  (Read 6855 times)

Offline AimeeSedlock

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
My rescued Golden
« on: May 26, 2006, 10:05:16 pm »
Hi All

I've had my Golden 3 weeks today, she is 2 years old and was pretty much ignored by her former owners. I'm starting to see  a different girl now that she's been here 3 weeks, she's starting to play and she's starting to chew like a pup, she really worked out on my throw rug tonight..  I put bitter apple on it to stop her chewing..  I'm wondering if this is normal at 2 years old to be chewing or if she's acting like a puppy because she was never able to before??
Also, I'm thinking of getting a male Golden pup this summer maybe July for her to play with and wonder what you all think of that idea??  I guess in her last home she had a lab to play with.

Anyway thanks for any help or advice I've never had a Golden before and would be grateful for any help

Aimee

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: My rescued Golden
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 05:23:04 am »
Goldens are wonderful dogs but often stay puppy like in behavior until much older.  Sounds normal behavior to me.  A playmate would be great for her but then you would have double the trouble - start looking for ways to burn up all that puppy energy  Tired puppies are good puppies

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 06:44:48 am »
We rescued Sheba (our lab/rottie mix) after Barkley (our Newf) had been with us for three years already, so he had his basic obedience (and more) already down pat.  We found that he really helped us to teach her, if that doesn't sound too crazy.  He was so obedient that she followed his example. And they were amazing company for each other!  We are taking a bit of a break from having two dogs right now, but will be getting a second in the winter (hopefully!)

I second it, though, that although it can be double the fun it can also be double the trouble.  When they did get in trouble together, it was usually a big mess and you could never quite sort out who did what!!! :)

Good luck.
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 08:32:20 am »
I have two goldens.  Between two and three years they should settle out of the puppy behavior, depending on the dog.  Anything to keep them busy will help, exercise, kongs, foodcubes.  They also keep each other busy if they get along.  Mine are the same age(second one is a rescue)and it took a while before they got used to each other.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 09:49:18 am »
I don't have a Golden, but I do have 2 female dogs who are 2 months apart in age. When we got the second dog, we theorized that the first dog wouldn't be so destructive and hyper all the time because she'd have a playmate. We were wrong, to say the least. Now we have double the trouble as far as chewing, digging, and other things go. But I never regret that we got our first dog a playmate. Now they are never lonely or bored. I'm so glad they have each other. I would say get a second dog as a playmate when you and your dog are good and ready to hanlde it!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 09:59:34 am »
I don't have Goldens either but we do have 3 dogs. Rosie our baby weimaraner seems like such an easy pup at 4 months. I think it is because she has constant playmates and companions to keep her busy and not feeling lonley. I do have to agree though when they are bad it does mulitply the mess ;)

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 01:08:21 pm »
I would never ever bring a second dog in unless the first dog's behavior was really good.  I agree with other posters that you should work on basic obediance, including NILF and I also wouldn't leave a new dog alone (puppy or rescue) in a situation where they could do damage.  We crate trained our dog until he was about 2-3.  If we weren't in the room with him, he was crated. 
I think you should handle this dog just like if it was a little puppy, because if she wasn't trained, she has no way of knowing proper behavior. 
::spank spank to the old 'owners' who neglected her, and hugs to you for saving her!::
 :D

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 07:07:07 pm »

This decision depends largely on your golden's temperament.  Goldens are definitely pack animals and not solitary creatures - there is not an independent bone in their body and I believe a brother or sister is critical. With that said, there may be a right time to bring in a second.  As others have mentioned, getting your current golden accustomed to everything and perhaps some basic training would be a good idea.  They are very hard to train with a second dog.

If your golden shows no possessive tendencies, and is highly social, then bringing another one is a great idea - as long as she does not overbond with you in the meantime and become a jealous dog. Overbonding is a common issue with goldens.

Just make sure you have a handle on her before bringing in another and consider the age of the second dog - she is very close to maturity and growing out of a lot, as long as you get her instruction now on how to behave. A male older than her, who is calmer, could be a great trainer for her.

Good luck
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar