Author Topic: One week down and feeling blah  (Read 7748 times)

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
One week down and feeling blah
« on: May 28, 2006, 04:53:31 am »
I'm not sure where to post any more ... my heart is still with posting on the Newf part of the board - I hope you all don't mind!

I can't believe it's been over a week since Barkley left. I woke up this morning dreaming about when I was in with him, and weirdly, thinking that I had to do it all over again today.  I was so distressed when I woke up!

I took Sheba to the vet yesterday for her shots and a check up.  I had sent a card down with his picture on the front, and they had it taped up to the filing cabinet, which made me feel so great.  Like he'll not be forgotten there.  I hope they leave it up for a while.

Sheba, our "little" girl, weighed in at 91 lbs yesterday! Yikes!!! It's diet time!  We have to get 10 lbs off her.  She's back running with my husband, so hopefully that will help. 

Man, I miss my big guy this morning though.  I'd love to have him here putting me on ignore even! So...please give your big paw a big hug from me this morning, will ya?  :)
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Re: One week down and feeling blah
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 06:17:37 am »
Definitely!  ((((((((HUGS!!)))))))  I still feel like my heart belongs to Thor and he's been gone since Nov.  When you love that deeply, it takes time to heal.  I love my other dogs but don't have that heart to heart connection like I did with Thor.
Daphne

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 06:40:32 am »
It must have been something in the air last night, I had bad dreams all night that I could not find Dixie and Sugar Bear.  I love that it is ok here to feel sad even when the loss of Rosie was almost 2 years ago. I still feel the loss and miss my girl each and everyday.  I no longer hear her tags jingle but sometimes I do still feel her nose touch my ear or her head under my hand.  I guess they do get to check in on us.

The thing about your getting a new pup is that he/she will need so much of your time that you have less sad missing Barley time.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 06:57:29 am »
Of course you are still sad and upset it has only been one week; our feeling for our babies go much deeper than that.

My stoli has been gone 5 years this July.  I still talk to her often.  And when I play with Harley and tell him he is my best friend I ALWAYS have to add "that is alive" because I'm afraid I will hurt Stoli's feelings.

My husband and son made a mailbox for me years ago; it looks exactly like Stoli (B & W springer spaniel) same size painted exactly like her.  Anyway when we moved to our new house I didn't want to use it as a mailbox because the mailbox is on the street and was afraid someone by accident or on purpose would hit it; so I put it on the floor next to my fireplace; this year they made me one of Harley so I moved Stoli to the basement and put Harley in her place - that was a mistake that night I had horrible dreams of her coming to me and saying that I have forgotten her and how disappointed she was in me, I got up IMMEDIATELY and put her back where she belongs!!  Mailbox Harley is now in my dining room until I can find a proper place for him!!

I'm sorry you are feeling badly; but in time when you think of Barkley you will have a big smile and a small tear in your eye!!

Randy & Harley - (Stoli too!!)

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 08:05:28 am »
I think I had crying bursts when we lost Katie for a good 3 weeks. It hits you at the most unexpected times. I had a hard time May 24  weekend this year b/c it had been 1 year since we lost her. Losing her hit me really hard . Even though she was given to me as a present-she became my husbands buddy..lol. I didn't think I could get through this day let alone have to  spend yet another day without her. Over time it got better and better. Soon we had a puppy to train and play with. Not that the puppy in any way replaced her. Our time was being occupied by a wacky Vizsla that sure kept us (and still does) on our toes.

It sounds really cliche to say but the rawness of it all seems to heal with time. Then it seems you can think of them with a smile on your face and even let out a little chuckle at something silly they use to do. Sure you will still shed a tear from time to time because they touch us so deeply.
((((((HUGS)))))))

Sheeba girl you better get running......l ol

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 10:40:40 am by Icerotti »

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 08:46:00 am »
Each one of our furkids keeps a place in our hearts. When they cross over to the bridge it leaves a hole. But after time you fill the hole with their memories. It becomes easier to think of them with out crying. When I look at pictures of my furkids that have crossed over, I still shed a tear, even after 20 years. But then I smile as I remember the good times and that we will be together again after all when I meet them at the bridge.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 10:44:56 am »
Thanks everyone.  Again.  Man, I feel needy on this board... :)

I think part of it is that I've had a lousy weekend with the step-kids too.  This being a stepmom can suck sometimes, and this was one of those times.  Nothing that I said or did was heard or appreciated this weekend, and add that I don't have Barkley to cuddle me after an icky step kids weekend to the mix, and I got a big ol' case of the PLOMs (poor little ol' me's) big time.  I've just had my cry ... ate a chocolate bar ... and read all these posts. It's helped a lot. 

Do we have a place on this board to put step kids up for adoption?  I'm just asking.  hehehe
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

doggylover

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 12:21:16 pm »
I cried for 2 years, almost every night when I had to put my last dog to sleep.  You are allowed to be 'needy' here.  You will have to help me through it when Badger goes to the bridge, and trust me, the sobfest will last a heck of a lot longer than one lousy week!
As for the stepkids, I was with a man for 5 years who had kids.  When I got sick of them, I told them they had to 'earn' time with me through good behavior.  I was the fun time person, and if they were snippy or disrespectful, I passed them to their stupid father.  They LOVED me...totally bought that it was a 'privaledge' to spend the day with me. 
HEH just a little tip for what worked for me.  Of course it didn't work all that well, I ended up leaving him.  That man made me insane.  Oh well, the point is, you aren't alone in the stepkid difficulty either!
 :o

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 01:18:57 pm »
I'm still thinking about Barkley. I know how much you love him. He will never be forgotten. When I lost my Benny, it didn't really hit me until that night, when I looked at pictures of him and realized that he was only in those pictures anymore. I cried for awhile. But getting my puppy Zoey helped me realize that my love for Ben would help me raise Zoey right. Praying for you and sending hugs and slobbers from the girls your way!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 04:20:33 am »
oooh geez! leave it to us to not post this weekend when you need it!  HUGS!  even though they're sent 2 days latE! 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 07:19:34 am »
I am very behind on this board, and, just reading of your loss now, i dont know the story, but, i do know it is never easy to loose a canine companion.
i am so sorry for the loss and hope that in time, you will smile thru the tears.
take care, and thru all the photos posted here, maybe some day you can get another newf that will fill your heart with joy and love.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 07:25:30 am »
(((hugs))))
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 07:40:51 am »
Sending you hugs from me & the Newfs here in Jersey.  I know it is a very difficult time and I hope your pain eases with each new day.

Anita & the 3 Newfies from NJ

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 07:48:07 am »
Sometimes it takes a long time to get through this.  I got teary eyed yesterday when I thought about missy who's been gone over a year now.  I got her 11 years ago on Memorial Day in 1995.   I still miss her.  I talk to her sometimes too.

He was and still is a big part of your life and that's a hard thing to loose.

Best Wishes!!!
lin

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2006, 10:36:38 am »
I'm sharing Barkley's story with all my dog-loving friends -- somehow being part of BPO gives me the feeling like all these dogs are all of our dogs.

I miss Barkley, too.  Einstein & I send you lots of hugs!
Sarah