Author Topic: Gauge freaked out  (Read 4873 times)

Blair

Gauge freaked out
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:15:01 pm »
My friend came over today, my friend who watched Zeus and Grey for me when we live town, and she went to go pet Gauge. He ran into a corner and just coward and he seemed extremely scared and nervous around her. She bent down to pet him and he growled, barked and snapped at her, out of fear. I felt so bad that he was this afriad of some one, but I didnt baby him. I plan on showing him, so I cant have him acting like this. I just dont know why he would be so scared of her  ??? I have one thought, but dont know how out there it is...my friend is a dog groomer, and maybe he can smell all those different dogs on her and gets scared? Whatever it is, I have to fix this soon so he wont do this in the showring. I was just in shocked he acted that way.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Gauge freaked out
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 07:23:49 am »
I'm a firm believer in the 100 people in 100 days.  The more people Gauge meets the better he will be with strangers....h opefully.  Tucker was well socialized but he still has no use for people.  Tyra and Scooter are both social butterflies and love everyone.  Do you have a flea market or farmer's market you can take him to?  It has a been a great place for me to take Tyra & Scooter as they get to meet adults, children, babies in strollers, people in wheel chairs or on crutches....it has been great helping prepare Tyra to be a therapy dog. 

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 07:36:27 am »
As BrindlePack said socialize like crazy.  A friend's trainer suggested sitting outside a busy place with treats and ask people to come see the dog but not to make eyecontact or talk to the dog at first and give the treat when he settles down.  Let him go to the people he's weird about.  I think the mistake your friend made was to push the issue by going after him.  Lacey has fear aggression issues and can't be near strangers off leash.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 02:56:12 pm »
I agree with the above. Socialize him like crazy! It almost sounds like he's going through the first fear stage.

When Bubba was a baby we sat on a bench outside the mall. Bubba watched everyone going in and out. Anyone that stopped we gave them a treat to give to him. Plus we took him to pet stores ect..

During his fear stages we took it easier. We still took him out and about just not where tons of people were ooooing and ahing over him at the same time. A trainer told me that if you traumatise a pup during that time it can stay with them. Whether that's true or not I don't know. But I can say now that Bubba is definitely confident.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 02:57:02 pm by Lyn »

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 03:14:59 pm »
You know, a lot of puppies go thru a phase where they need a little longer to get comfortable before being approached.  I've known dogs who were very wary and snappy as babies who turned into social butterflies at 6 months.  Just keep taking him where people can tell him how cute he is, and keep an eye on how people are approaching him--maybe put your hand on his head or his back to let him know you're there and he's safe while he's going thru this little bump in his social road.  :)

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 08:36:29 pm »
Puppies generally begin experiencing fear around 8-10 weeks. If I recall correctly, Guage is about 3 months old now, which means he could just be in a late fear stage.

What other characteristic s does this woman have? What was she wearing? Smelling other dogs could have certainly upset her, but so could a number of unfamiliar things about her scent or appearance... for instance, zoey is terrified of people wearing hats because she can't see their eyes. If they take their hats off, she is no longer afraid of them...
RIP former BPO