Author Topic: Miniature Weimaraner  (Read 17934 times)

Offline dogcrazyforever

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Beretta- 7 months
    • View Profile
Miniature Weimaraner
« on: June 03, 2006, 06:39:18 pm »
Hi everyone! I have the most beautiful weimy (don't we all?) BUT she is TINY! She weighs 44lbs (22 1/2") at almost 2 years. I want to show her...just for fun. Not to brag but her 5 generation pedigree is 100% champions. BUT...she is small. Limit is 22" with a penalty  :( She was 22 1/2 with tape measurer...if I use a stick will she meaure taller? I was told she would.... She has perfect conformation and movement but she is small! I love her all the same...she just is so feminine. But, she got valley fever as a pup (has overcome it)...could that have stunted her growth? Anyone heard anything like that? Last time I saw her sis (6mnths ago aprox.)they looked identical (same size even) but that was before we knew she have the fever. Her sister has her championship now...but I haven't seen her latly to know if they are still the same size. I hope! All the same, I love my little girl! Just would be fun... So, anyone heard of valley feaver stunting growth? Thanks!
What Man Doesn't Understand
Man Fears
And What Man Fears
Man Destroys.

Stop B.S.L.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature Weimaraner
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 07:18:05 am »
I don't know alot about Valley fever but since it can spread to the bones and joint I guess its possible on a young dog for it to also stunt height growth.
 However I would bet she is small due to genetics since in her photo her head and bone structure seems to be petite also. Have you called your breeder to ask what her thoughts were on if shes show quality or not?

The only way to get a true height measurement is to use a wicket. You can make a wicket for rather cheap using a few yard stick or if you belong to a training school they often have them for agility class.

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
Re: Miniature Weimaraner
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 07:36:26 am »
My Weim is 15 now, and it's been a while since the old lady and I were out in the ring.  If your girl is correct, within standard, and you do decide to show, I would encourage you to first go to a few matches, and as previously mentioned, ask about judges.  Chatting with a professional handler is a good source of information as well as your breeder.  Don't forget your local Weimaraner Club either!  I've had a Weim in my life pretty much since the 70s.  Back in the 70s, the Weims toward the top of the standard were in vogue in CA.  The female I had at the time was fortunately not over the wicket at the time of the National Futurity and went second to the bitch who won.  She continued to grow and was eventually over the standard.  While we could no longer compete in bench, she earned her companion dog title and was on our local Top Dog Obedience Competition team.  We also worked in field/retrieving, but she didn't want to put that nasty bird in her mouth :)  If you want to get your dog out there and compete, there are other avenues besides bench.  On a side note, a few years later, the tide turned the other way and it was the smaller dogs who were placing.  When Shade was in her hey day, she is middle of the road, I don't remember that there was a particular pattern regarding height, just, of course, that they were within standard.  Anyway, check with a professional handler, your breeder, and just go to shows and matches to see what's going on these days. ----- Went camping this weekend and Shade was along.  Course, she spent most of her time in the shade (there's a story behind her name) with a fan blowing on her... but every time a boat would come by, she would stand up, alert, and watch as it passed.  I told my daughter that I wondered if she was remembering back in her youth...she loved boat rides. 
"If unicorns and Pegasus exist only in the minds of children and dreamers, then I am honored to be among the ranks of the childish believer; for where my childhood dreams do die, there too my soul shall whither…" (Sue Lay - copyright 2002)