Author Topic: Carter, the dirty dog  (Read 4501 times)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Carter, the dirty dog
« on: June 04, 2006, 11:19:17 am »
It has been raining a LOT lately and DH just tilled the garden.  Carter seems to like the smell of fresh dirt and just plays like a pup in it!  The pics don't really seem to do it justice.  If you look at his toes though, we'd just taken a walk in the rain and his toes are a lot cleaner because he kept going through puddles.  He was dirty to the bone!  His belly was completely mud colored.  I think the flash made everything look lighter, brighter, whiter. 
Daphne

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Carter, the dirty dog
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 11:23:23 am »
Carter looks like he had a grand time.  :D That is one dog in need of a good scrubbin'!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 11:30:28 am »
That is a dirty dog! :D Did he get a bath last night?...If not I bet he was sparkling white this morning & you ahd a dirt covered floor...lol... That's how it works around here! ;D

k2campbell

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:07:39 pm »
WOW - that's a dirty dog alright! :D  Carter is stunning, he is very handsome (even mud-colored)! ;)

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 01:27:20 pm »
How cute!  You are a better dog mom than me.  I would have been out in the yard chasing Badger around with a fly swatter trying to get him outa the mud!  I've always thought there was a direct correlation between how good a parent was, and the dirt/clean cycle of the kids/dogs.  Dirty all the time=bad.  Clean all the time=bad.  Clean/dirty/clean/dirty=GOOD! :D

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 01:58:53 pm »
Well, this might seem slightly sacrilegeous on a board where so many have their dogs sleep in their beds but Carter is a working LGD so he does not come in the house.  :o   The upside for him is that he can be as muddy as he wants and it doesn't matter.  No bath needed!  LOL!  He's never been in our house and my understanding is that he was never in a house before he came to us except at the rescue group where he needed to be sedated in order to keep him calm in the crate.  She didn't have the room to try him just hanging about the house though so he might have done ok outside of a crate.  Katie on the other hand won't even come into our barn with a regular door.  She'll go into the main barn with the huge open side but doesn't like to go into enclosed spaces.  She's never been in any house as far as I know.  It's still a concept that I'm getting used to myself.  I love them to pieces and have always thought that meant that they need to be in the house but I'm finding that they really are quite happy and content to be outside.  Thor was an indoor/outdoor dog.  He really loved to be inside during the day but at night he was compelled to be out there woo-ing!  He never got as dirty as Carter though!  LOL!  Carter seems to LOVE to be covered in mud, sand or dirt.  Must have a fragrance he loves.  Then again, he's also the most destructive, mess-making-est dog I've ever had!  He's a loveable pill!  :D  New nickname - Pigpen!
Daphne

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 04:44:43 pm »
Well, this might seem slightly sacrilegeous on a board where so many have their dogs sleep in their beds but Carter is a working LGD so he does not come in the house.  :o   The upside for him is that he can be as muddy as he wants and it doesn't matter.  No bath needed!  LOL!  He's never been in our house and my understanding is that he was never in a house before he came to us except at the rescue group where he needed to be sedated in order to keep him calm in the crate.  She didn't have the room to try him just hanging about the house though so he might have done ok outside of a crate.  Katie on the other hand won't even come into our barn with a regular door.  She'll go into the main barn with the huge open side but doesn't like to go into enclosed spaces.  She's never been in any house as far as I know.  It's still a concept that I'm getting used to myself.  I love them to pieces and have always thought that meant that they need to be in the house but I'm finding that they really are quite happy and content to be outside.  Thor was an indoor/outdoor dog.  He really loved to be inside during the day but at night he was compelled to be out there woo-ing!  He never got as dirty as Carter though!  LOL!  Carter seems to LOVE to be covered in mud, sand or dirt.  Must have a fragrance he loves.  Then again, he's also the most destructive, mess-making-est dog I've ever had!  He's a loveable pill!  :D  New nickname - Pigpen!
If your dogs are happy, they are lucky that you accomodate THEIR needs as opposed to what YOU want them to be like.  It would be hard for me to have an outdoor dog, but if thats what that animal needed...so be it!

rickysmom1

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 04:48:03 pm »
As long as your dogs are happy, well cared for and much loved then who cares if they are indoor or outdoor dogs. Personally I love to see a good working dog at work and it seems like your 2 outdoor babies are doing a good job doing what they do best.  :)

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 08:52:06 pm »
I love dirty Carter!! You can see the happiness in his eyes!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 05:14:27 pm »
Nothing at all wrong with a dog who is out doing what he was meant to do!...I'll let you in on a little secret...I can assure you that Pippin wishes you were his mama!...He spends a whole lot of his time in the yard & loves to gaurd our bunnies when we take them out in the yard for fresh air & sun...Sammy & Rosie do like to be in the house...Pippin just wishes he didn't have to suffer the indignity of being a house dog! :D I do let him get as dirty as he wants to though & he can dig in the yard to his hearts content! :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:23:41 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 06:20:17 pm »
I'm pretty sacreligous too, then--I know plenty of working/hunting dogs who consider being brought in the house a punishment to be avoided at all costs! You should never feel bad if your buddies are happy--and how could they not be happy with all that mud to play in?! Carter just looks like he's having a blast.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad