Author Topic: Need help again  (Read 13831 times)

Nicole

Re: Need help again
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2006, 05:04:53 pm »
*whisper*...pssst...hey, Chelle...its Holly....*whisper*

;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2006, 05:08:58 pm »
*whisper*...pssst...hey, Chelle...its Holly....*whisper*

;)
oops...I just woke up from a nap & I usually can't even remember my kids & critters names then...lol...I fixed it...I should have added edited because I am a moron! :D

doggylover

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2006, 08:35:00 pm »
OK I would like to state my philosophical position on this issue because I think it is important, for the welfare of dogs, to stand up for what is minimum standards for their care. 
This is not specifically intended to address what should be done with Holly...I am not there and I don't know all the pertinant facts. 
I think we as dog lovers have limited options regarding the issue of keeping/letting our dogs go, morally.  With each option, as I see them, I will include an example.

Option A:  The dog is wonderful but you are unable to keep it so you have no choice but to rehome. 
Example: You lost your job and are homeless.  The homeless shelter won't let you bring the dog. 
Example:  Your new husband is terribly allergic to the wonderful dog, and he will DIE if you keep the dog.
You find a wonderful new home.

Option B:  The dog is so disturbed that you can't, with the help of k9 pharmaceutical s and/or professional behaviorist rehabilitate the dog.  The dog is not rehabilitatabl e and you have tried everything available.  In this case, you go to the vet with the dog and cuddle the dog and love him/her up while it is humanely euthenized. 
Example:  The dog is rolling in it's own feces out of abject terror at things that don't exist, pacing, and biting if people try to get near it...barbituat es didn't help.  The behaviorist and vet both say the poor dog is not helpable.  It is cruel to allow the dog to suffer.  You hold that dog and cuddle it as best you can, and put it to sleep. 
Option C:  You have a decent dog that has some behavioral problems and it is a pain in the arse. 
Example:  All of our dogs from time to time.  You rehome the dog if you can't stand living with the dog, then you don't get another dog until you have significantly changed your circumstances and you have 0 doubt that you can be more tolerant of normal dog behavior.
Option D:  Fostering.  You get the dog, as a foster.  You only take problem dogs if you are qualified to rehabilitate dogs who have issues.  You rehab the dog if possible, and if NOT possible...you do one of the other options. 
This is of course totally my opinion and not intended to reflect the beliefs of the board or of anyone on the board.