Author Topic: Need help again  (Read 13823 times)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Need help again
« on: June 04, 2006, 02:13:43 pm »
Hubby says our next dog has to be low energy.  I'm thinking of working with a rescue group possibly.  Are Pyrs considered low energy?  :D Also, hubby says it doesn't need to be a protective breed because he spends more time protecting it (Holly is a big baby) than it does him.  lol  My personal preference is a white dog but I'm not stuck on it.

Ok, low maintentence, low energy dog that has an independant personality, preferably low alpha types that listen to and are good with kids and don't have doggie odor. Oh! and quiet too!  Hubby doesn't like excessive barking.  Barking at the dog or an intruder is ok though.  A dog that doesn't need another dog would be nice as well.

Is there even such a dog out there?   ???
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 02:20:38 pm by Kelly89084 »
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Need help again
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 02:23:07 pm »
How about a Kuvasz? I've read from several of my dog books that they are in need of a medium amount of exercise, very trainable, protective, and a very loyal and spirited personality. I've never had one, so I can't tell you about them from experience. That's just my recommendation . Good luck in choosing the right dog for you!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 02:30:02 pm »
How about a Dane.

I like the looks of dane but they are far too clingy.  I need something less needy.   ;)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 02:34:57 pm »
How about a Kuvasz? I've read from several of my dog books that they are in need of a medium amount of exercise, very trainable, protective, and a very loyal and spirited personality. I've never had one, so I can't tell you about them from experience. That's just my recommendation . Good luck in choosing the right dog for you!

I just checked them and they need a good deal of exercise daily.  Too bad, they're good looking dogs.  ;)

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 02:40:58 pm »
Greyhounds! What about them? There are plenty of them available that are retired racers! They need one walk a day as far as exercise is concerned, they love to be inside, are great with kids and other dogs, though they don't need dog company necessarily. They don't bark very much at all, and love to be lap dogs and couch potatoes. They come in all colors and personalities. Sound any better?
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Yaz

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 03:09:56 pm »

Ok, low maintentence, low energy dog that has an independant personality, preferably low alpha types that listen to and are good with kids and don't have doggie odor. Oh! and quiet too!  Hubby doesn't like excessive barking.  Barking at the dog or an intruder is ok though.  A dog that doesn't need another dog would be nice as well.

Is there even such a dog out there?   ???

That is funny - your list is very similar to our list when we were deciding on a breed. We needed a dog that was calm in the house even as a puppy, and did not need to have an hour exercise daily - would be happy with less, but still enjoy the odd hike.
We needed a dog that was excellent with very young children (we had three under three), had a low prey drive and very tolerant to friends and neighbours dropping in. 
We needed a dog that was QUIET, not barking for the sake of it. The kind of dog, who, if he did bark, we would pay attention because he was not one to enjoy the sound of his own voice.
I needed a dog that was happy to be with me, but not on me. A dog that was content to lie by itself, happy to be petted but not competing with the three young children for attention.
And, the last requirement was to have this dog be big and handsome.

After spending a month doing endless research, visiting various breeders and going through breed after breed, we came up with our perfect fit - the Saint Bernard. He is our second Saint and fits our bill perfectly. Drool and shedding are small prices to pay for a big, calm, quiet dog we can trust with our kids and friends children, who also has no alpha issues and is very obedient to boot.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 03:27:39 pm »
How about a black Newf???  They are low energy, adore kids, sweet tempered with just about anybody and are usually quiet....excep t when there is something new that needs to be shown to you!

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 04:19:01 pm »
How about a black Newf???  They are low energy, adore kids, sweet tempered with just about anybody and are usually quiet....excep t when there is something new that needs to be shown to you!

hhhmmmmm  Well maybe if you sent Cowboy here I could get a better idea about those Newfs.  ;)

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:20:39 pm »
Greyhounds! What about them? There are plenty of them available that are retired racers! They need one walk a day as far as exercise is concerned, they love to be inside, are great with kids and other dogs, though they don't need dog company necessarily. They don't bark very much at all, and love to be lap dogs and couch potatoes. They come in all colors and personalities. Sound any better?

Funny you should mention those.  i really like tham and was just looking at some.  Unfortunately hubby has said no.  He wants a dog he can take places off leash and not worry about them listening when he calls.  Too many rabbits wild out here. They would have sudden hearing loss as soon as they got out of the car.  lol

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 04:21:55 pm »
Pyrs bark & they bark alot...If you want a dog that doesn't bark alot a Pyr is definitly not for you!...The do not bark for the sake of barking...They know what they are barking at even if we don't but it happens ALOT!...Also, they take alot of care for their grooming...I do a good job of it & still found a spot on Sammy today that had a scab because hair under his belly had twisted & matted & was pulling his skin...Pyrs are low to low moderate energy even as pups...They will gaurd their people but aren't dogs that gaurd your property per say...They are independent thinking dogs & they are not "push button" obedience based dogs because of this...The norm is to need a fenced in area & be kept on leash...The number one reason that Pyrs are turned into rescue (as told by the lady in Chicago that works in Pyr rescue I've dealt with) is because they can't be perimeter trained & people always think they will get the one that can be...Pyrs are awesome with children but do not readily welcome strangers into your home...Pyrs are not dogs that should be taken lightlylike any LGD dog...They need firm handling & someone who will dedicate alot of time to their training...The y are very sensative to anything that changes in their routine & envoirment...S o far as needing another dog...I firmly believe that both Sammy  & Pippin would be fine with just us & no other dogs...I don't want to be discouraging because I will always share my life with at least one Pyr...I don't even see the "negatives" as negatives...Th ey are just part of what a Pyr is & I love everything about them!...Good luck in your search! :)...I'll check over my dog breed encyclopedia later today or tonight when I have time & see if I can find a dog that might suit you & get back to you!

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 04:22:07 pm »
That is funny - your list is very similar to our list when we were deciding on a breed. We needed a dog that was calm in the house even as a puppy, and did not need to have an hour exercise daily - would be happy with less, but still enjoy the odd hike.
We needed a dog that was excellent with very young children (we had three under three), had a low prey drive and very tolerant to friends and neighbours dropping in. 
We needed a dog that was QUIET, not barking for the sake of it. The kind of dog, who, if he did bark, we would pay attention because he was not one to enjoy the sound of his own voice.
I needed a dog that was happy to be with me, but not on me. A dog that was content to lie by itself, happy to be petted but not competing with the three young children for attention.

After spending a month doing endless research, visiting various breeders and going through breed after breed, we came up with our perfect fit - the Saint Bernard. He is our second Saint and fits our bill perfectly. Drool and shedding are small prices to pay for a big, calm, quiet dog we can trust with our kids and friends children, who also has no alpha issues and is very obedient to boot.

How much exercise do they need?  At what age do they become quiet in the house?   Well, as quiet as dogs get anyway. ;)

Same Qs for the Newfies please!

As for the Pyr, while they may be the perfect dog for me, I have a hubby to consider so until he ticks me off to the point that I kick him out, I'll have to get something that makes HIM happy too. ;D  I can't think of one bad thing about Pyrs except the barking and only for DHs sake.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 04:26:04 pm by Kelly89084 »

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 04:30:45 pm »

How much exercise do they need?  At what age do they become quiet in the house?   Well, as quiet as dogs get anyway. ;)

Same Qs for the Newfies please!

As for the Pyr, while they may be the perfect dog for me, I have a hubby to consider so until he ticks me off to the point that I kick him out, I'll have to get something that makes HIM happy too. ;D  I can't think of one bad thing about Pyrs except the barking and only for DHs sake.
I think a St. may very well work for you!...& a little FYI...In the late 1800's the St. Bernard was in danger of dying out do to weak genetics & some other factors...The smooth coated St. was crossed with Newfies & Pyrs & that's how we got the long haired St. we know today...Before that they were all smooth coated...Rough coated St.'s weren't recognized by the AKC until (I think) the 1940's...So, if you get a long haired St. you could have a little bit of all 3 dogs! ;D

doggylover

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 04:32:08 pm »
Rottweiler!  The only thing is they are a little bit needy (I think all dogs are).  They are independent, and clean, low energy, never bark....they don't stink (usually..Badge r has a very bad smell but that's just him).  They are loyal and GREAT with kids and animals.  They are super smart and easy to train....!     

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 04:33:46 pm »
I had one before moving here.  Hubby ranks them up there with yappy dogs and dalmations.  He's a total nut (and more than a little hard to please)!

doggylover

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 04:38:50 pm »
I had one before moving here.  Hubby ranks them up there with yappy dogs and dalmations.  He's a total nut (and more than a little hard to please)!
What?  Is hubby crazy?  Yappy dogs?  My dog wouldn't be 'yappy' on his worst day!
Rotts are: demanding, needy, stubborn, velcroish, loyal, stubborn, piggy, adoring...stub born.....
ROFL OK what about a mastiff?