Author Topic: Need help again  (Read 13834 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Need help again
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 06:19:35 pm »
hhhmmmmm  Well maybe if you sent Cowboy here I could get a better idea about those Newfs.  Wink

Oh, gosh!  As much as I'd love to share, sadly there is only ONE Cowboy!!!  He's the perfect dog except for epilepsy...and he's been seizure free FOR A YEAR!!!  YEAAA!!!

Nope, can't share that guy.  Now Chester, he COULD be loanable if I get to a borrow a little puppy that could be arriving at your house soon!  I need a fix of puppy breath!!!

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 07:20:55 pm »
sounds like you need a cat...lol
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 08:20:03 pm »
I'd say go with either a smooth coated Saint or a black newf.  I like the smooth coats as they are easier to care for and tend to look better (the long haired Saints I know tend to look ratty no matter how often they're groomed).  Most Saints and Newfs are lazy and a walk with some mind work would wear them out.  They can be a little harder to train but are good with people.  They love their people too.  My suggestion is to try to find and spend time with breeders or people who own them near you as that's the best way to determine if either breed is right for you and your hubby.  Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 08:27:34 pm »
A smooth coated Saint- I would have to agree there as well. Dolly is very laid back, loveable, and only barks when barking at her irritating sister who won't share toys! She's wonderful inside the house. They are easy to train, one walk a day is fine for exercise, in fact, before age 2, long walks are discouraged. They say it may stunt proper bone growth. They settle down in the house very well. We got Dolly at 5 months old, and she's always behaved properly in the house. I can recommend some breeders in your area if you'd like as well. Let me know!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 08:36:40 pm »
I don't think a Newf will work for all of your ...specificati ons either. You stated at one point that the dog can't be clingy...Newfs are *very* social and people-orientated. They're not a dog that's going to stay in the background...t hey want to be right where you are...usually trying to involve themselves in whatever you're doing. They, for the most part, (there are always exceptions to the rule) want to be with their humans whenever possible, and they love to be loved on, and give love in return.

The exercise-level depends on the dog individually. No two are alike, and if your pup comes from "energetic" lines, they'll be more active, thus requiring more time.

Good luck
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 09:41:09 pm »
sounds like you need a cat...lol

or to trade my hubby in for a new model.  ;)

I don't mind the dog being a part of the family.  After all, what's the point of having one otherwise.  I just don't want another Holly.  She needs to be physically touching one of us (usually me) constantly.  when I jog/run anywhere she's got the side of her face planted on my leg or is tangling her feet in mine.  It makes it hard to move.  When I sit she's got her face resting on me or is trying to crawl in my lap.  I don't mine a dog wanting attention once in a while, but it's driving me nuts to be touched constantly.  I also don't want my kids to have to compete with her for attention.  SHe tends to get jealous of them and push for even more attention for herself.  She would have physical contact with me 24/7 if I didn't put a stop to it once in a while.  I already have 2 sons and a hubby that are demanding,  I'd rather have a dog that is a friend instead of one more needy child.  Does that make sense?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 09:51:20 pm by Kelly89084 »
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead

doggylover

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 10:07:21 pm »
Get a stuffed dog.  I'll send you a bucket of slobber and some butt smell to make it more authentic.
 ;)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2006, 12:12:15 am »
Get a stuffed dog.  I'll send you a bucket of slobber and some butt smell to make it more authentic.
 ;)
& I'll send some puppy sized dog hair tumbleweeds...& the remainder of my fav. chair to make it almsot virtual! :D

doggylover

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2006, 12:30:49 am »
OK I'm a bit of a drama queen so sometimes when I just shake a little, I'll type LOL, when in all honesty, it was just a lil quiver.  But right now, NO exaggeration I am crying.  Tears, actual wetness, are running down my face.  Liz, Gypsy HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA SOB SOB SOB
 :D ;D :'(

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2006, 12:30:59 am »
i think i agree with whoever said Stdrd. Poodle. they can be the smartest dog in the world, or the dumbest, so be careful! i think you need to get a babysitter, make a list of your fav. breeds thus far, and go to 3 breeders of each. then pick your fav breeder of each breed (after more than one visit), visit as much as possible, and get to know the dogs as well as the family. then you can make a educated choice by knowing the dogs, not researching online. just don't come home with a puppy!!!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

doggylover

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 12:34:14 am »
i think i agree with whoever said Stdrd. Poodle. they can be the smartest dog in the world, or the dumbest, so be careful! i think you need to get a babysitter, make a list of your fav. breeds thus far, and go to 3 breeders of each. then pick your fav breeder of each breed (after more than one visit), visit as much as possible, and get to know the dogs as well as the family. then you can make a educated choice by knowing the dogs, not researching online. just don't come home with a puppy!!!
And then right back to seriousness... .that just makes it funnier!!! Or as my brother would say in a serious game of scrabble, 'funner'
hahahahhahahah ahhaha

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 12:35:34 am »
OK I'm a bit of a drama queen so sometimes when I just shake a little, I'll type LOL, when in all honesty, it was just a lil quiver.  But right now, NO exaggeration I am crying.  Tears, actual wetness, are running down my face.  Liz, Gypsy HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA SOB SOB SOB
 :D ;D :'(
Welcome to my world. :-\ :) :P

doggylover

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 12:38:36 am »
ROFL why, thank you, I like your world.  LOL the other day hubby said, "what happened, you've been cracking up all the time lately...out of the blue"  I told him it was this site.  I'll be walking along and just bust up. 
 :D

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 09:04:18 am »
On second thought, don't get a Saint unless you're okay with this. Wood is good.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Kelly89084

• Big Paw Certified
  • My Protector!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2006, 10:48:29 am »
*sigh!*  Maybe I'll just keep Holly and teach her to be fat and lazy like her mommy. :D  Can you even teach a Dobie to do that?  As smart as she can be sometimes, I just don't think she would be able to master that one. ;)
"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred North Whitehead