Author Topic: Age for first heat season?  (Read 16145 times)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Age for first heat season?
« on: June 04, 2005, 04:12:15 pm »
Dixie is now 5 months old.  I have been reading about dog shows and am thinking about showing her. If I do I will not be able to have her fixed.  What am I in for and at what age will she have her first heat?  

Lisa

PS. Sugar Bear has been fixed.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

nickerbokker

Re: Age for first heat season?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 04:13:59 pm »
this has nothing to do with anything....bu t when i was SUPER little, and our dog sugar would go into heat...i thought the blood came out of her boobies!  LOL...i know im special

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 04:35:36 pm »
I believe it can be as early as 6 months or so.  Although in a large breed dog, it may occur later than it would in a smaller dog...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Mal Lady

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Nyak Alaskan Malamutes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 06:24:32 pm »
Hi,
 One of my Mals came into her first heat at 1 yr of age. Worried me to death, after al the yrs of being in Mals I had never had one to wait that long for her first heat. I checked with the breeder and found that my girls grandmother done the same thing. After that first heat then my girls went into the every six month cycle.
 Hope this shed some light for you.
DD

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 06:51:59 pm »
How will I know that she is in heat?  I know there is some discharge, but will it be enough for me to notice?

Lisa

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 11:42:24 am »
Every dog can be a bit different when they go into heat. The first thing that you will notice is swelling of her vagina. It usually gets much bigger than it is right now. Then the dischcharge will start, every dog is different especially with the first heat, sometimes their is a lot of discharge, some have very little. You will notice that she will pay special attention to that area of her body, and if you are lucky she will keep herself very clean. Beware, it is not during the discharge that they can become pregnant, usually a week of discharge, and the following week is when they can. As to when she will go into heat, hard to say, hopefully someone with another pyr could help you there. She is big, so probably later on in her first year.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 11:59:49 am »
I dont have any pyrs, but I believe female dogs all around the world are pretty similar, just like us  ::) Smaller dogs usually have a first heat when they are around 6 months or so. Then it seem like the bigger the breed the later the heat. Around a year is probably a good average. Mind you it can be a bit earlier and also a lot later. My Hera came into heat first time when she was a little over 14 months.

As good as all of them swell in the rear end, gets floppy and the dishcharges start, it is usually clear, but kinda slimy, so if you dont look for it, it can be easy to miss. From that day, when the dishc. starts it takes around 8-10 days before a female would stand for a male, when she does she is in the prime of her heatcycle. And thats when the little fourlegged babies are made  :D

Once the dishc. goes over to be red and bloody, you will most likely have to put on a diaper, or pantie as we call them here  ::) Most large breed dogs bleed quite a bit and especially when they have been sitting or laying down and stand up, it can be a bit like "oops who turned the tap on" Some gets a bit grouchy, other youd never be able to tell by their mood.

After the heat is over, they can actually have problems with hormones, they think and feel it like they are pregnant, they get all the signs as if they were and start to nest and can even fill up with milk, can gather all their soft toys and put them in their bed and "nurse" them. I had a dane once who we showed but wasnt really up to standard to breed and she had so bad problems after a heat so we decided to retire her and spay. But most dogs do fine.

One more thing, about 8 - 10 weeks after the heat (about the time they have puppies if they are bred) they can get uterus inf. you'll notice she drinks a lot more, and seems kinda off, and pees way more, just little signals to start with. If you want to show her, I would absolutely do that, let it go a couple of heat cycles and see, most likely she will handle it just fine, most dogs do.

I am sorry this got to be a novel, I just seem to get all carried away over blood and goe, and dishcharges  ::)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 12:36:45 pm »
Thank you the more information the better.  So a 5 1/2 months it is not something I should worry about just yet. I guess it is time to go to Amazon and get a few book on show dogs, and or breeding.

Lisa

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2005, 12:38:56 pm »
No I wouldnt just yet, worry about heat I mean  ;D but there are differences so a little eye never hurts.

And books about showing and breeding is good, you can also do bunches of research on internet that is real good. also ifo on akc's site is helpful

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 09:09:48 am »
Maia, my OEM, went into heat at about 10 months.  It wasn't as bad as I had expected.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 11:29:48 am »
Kiya went into heat the 1st time at 9 months, it wasn't that bad. This is my 1st un-spayed female. I got her a pair of little jean looking panties & found I was wiping up little drops here & there. I think it was less than 2 weeks.
Carolyn
Carolyn