Author Topic: Water Dog?  (Read 3520 times)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Water Dog?
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:05:12 pm »
The vet recommended swimming for physical therapy to help Tealk with building up muscle in his legs. My sister has a huge inground pool. She said to bring him over. So we got him a life jacket.  ;D
When we first put it on him he flopped over like a cat does. ???  Then he finally stood up. We'll try it out this weekend. I'll post some pics ;)
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

doggylover

Re: Water Dog?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 08:08:39 pm »
OMG how cute!  I should get one of those for Badger, he swims a lot, but you never know when they might get tired or get a cramp or something.  One time I had to go out and haul him back in because the current in the river was pulling him out and he was looking tired. 
Great idea! 

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:00:48 am »
awwwwww how cute!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 09:04:43 am »
When we first put it on him he flopped over like a cat does. ???  Then he finally stood up.

Hahahha.. sorry the visual is funny:)

We have one just like it for Bava , He is a little freaked by the ripping velcro sound when we take it off, but otherwise it is great.  I love it because it keeps his head higher out of the water... That means less water in his ears, he does tend to get ear infections easily, and less chance of water in his lungs.

He got used to it pretty quickly and when taking him with us canoeing, he figured out he didn't have to swim and would just kinda float around and give a lazy kick every now and then, it was pretty funny.

Not the greatest picture I know, but you can see how much higher his head is out of the water, and his ears are out, where they are pretty submerged without the vest.

Here he is without the vest:

And with the vest:

« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 09:14:14 am by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:20:36 am »
That means less water in his ears, he does tend to get ear infections easily, and less chance of water in his lungs.

WOW!!!  I never thought of that! Great idea!  I have a vest for Cowboy since one of his first seizures was in the water and he almost drown (before I got him) but since he just cruises in the water (with his feet firmly on the ground!) I haven't really worried about him.  Chester, on the other hand, is real water dog!  We can't keep him out!  Last week, at the lake, he did get water in his ears and we had to put goop in them to dry them out. 

Guess who gets to wear the vest now!!! ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:54:04 am »
he's getting so big.  doesn't look like he likes his vest...maybe it's the blaring orange and he'd prefer something in blue.  :)  how's he doing with the swimming?

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 07:23:43 pm »
We went swimming today at my sisters pool.DUH Forgot the camera  ::) I put the jacket on him and he flopped over same as before ???. I finally got him in the pool and he really enjoyed himself after he got used to the whole idea. First I kind of towed him out to the middle and then he would paddle back to the pool stairs. Tealk would lay on his side resting his shoulder on the second stair while his back end just free floated. His head was above the water kind of resting against the edge of the pool. He was Chillin big time ;D after a while of him chillin out I would call him and he would swim in after me.
He got to meet his cousin Charlie (a chocolate lab) and  His other cousin Babe (a jack russell) They were all in the pool. Next time I'll take pictures.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 09:32:57 pm »
Yea Baxter swam for the first time on Friday at a local beach that doesnt care if you bring a dog so i Took Bell and Baxter.   Baxter ran in the water like he had been missing it his whole life.  He did great swimming but i will defiantley have to get a vest cause he wont stop swimming even if he is tired.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel