Author Topic: Help!! Fetish for Pools!  (Read 4878 times)

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Help!! Fetish for Pools!
« on: June 08, 2006, 07:04:39 am »
Help!!! 

I had to agree on the “landseer thread” that the barking was just about the most annoying habit Kuma had…but now I have a new one.  Jumping in the pool!!   >:(  Ggrrrr…..
I can’t keep her out of it! (And this is despite no less than 2 trips to the lake each week as well as allowing her to swim with us when we are in the pool)

Kuma was able to get through the original fencing that we put up for our 3 year old and although she struggles to get out (Which is our first fear!) she LOVES jumping in the pool! ALL THE TIME. We ordered the ladder and it seems to work well…although I have seen her struggle with that too and that is concerning.  So….we spent almost $600.00 this past weekend at Lowes (Which my husband was not happy about) to extend the fence out further then the deck fencing (She was going up under the deck and getting in that way) Despite the money we felt good about doing it and just knew it would solve the problem.

Last night we had folks over for a cookout.  Kuma was ALL up in the food (As you can imagine!) so I put her outside, which she was NOT happy about. (And  insisted on barking for an entire 30 minutes nonstop!)  >:(

We were getting up from the table and my 3 year old apparently opens the back door where APPARENTLY Kuma had found ANOTHER way into the pool ?????  ???
She was soaking wet….and you know how they get wired when they are wet…she came BUSTING into the house…knocked my 79 year old mother to the ground (And she NEVER jumps up, knocked my 3 year old on the ground, bite his head... grabbed a hamburger off the counter…ran THROUGH the living run where she then jumped up on the couch…soaking wet. 

Ok…so all of this was extremely annoying but back to my original concern…I CAN’T believe she found a way to get into that pool AGAIN!  :o  I don’t know how on earth she did it???  It’s annoying that she does it (You all know what damage a 80 pound soaking wet dog does! LOL) but again, my biggest concern is her getting in there and something tragic happening before we realized it.  (I have always been paranoid about the pool in regard to my toddler!)

She is smart and quick and I have tried to work with her in regard to now setting the pool area off limits...but she insists on going in when I am not around. 

Someone suggested one of those child alarms you put in the water and that would be good to let us know she is in there, but that’s not really solving the problem of keeping her out in the first place.

I am at a loss…frustrated...was hoping someone had suggestions before this turns tragic.  (Or I kill her  :D )(
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

" Don't accept your dog's admiration
as conclusive evidense that you are wonderful."
-Ann landers

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
Re: Help!! Fetish for Pools!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 07:45:35 am »
Kuma was 6 months yesterday.
She seems to be resisting some of the basic commands lately (And from what I gather on BigPAws that is normal and she is going through the typical brat stage??) so you could be right on the money in regard to going back over the basics and re-establishing command again.

As mentioned on your other thread…she barks and that is something that we have never really gotten control over (And hope she outgrows)... but things that she had stopped doing like mouthing, jumping, etc.  she seems to have reverted back. 

Thanks for the help and suggestions….I plan on going home tonight and reminding Kuma who is IN CHARGE!  :D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:04:33 am »
I think I'd also go back to (or start) using a crate when you really need her under control and/or can't watch her.  It might help to take her and baby for a couple of short walks a day (morning and evening) to burn off some of the naughty energy and between times make greater use of the crate.  Hard as it is to find time before entertaining company, squeezing in a walk should really help to calm her down.  Eider is getting better with people but occasionally he can be a real pest.  The crate is a life saver!  Over to the barking post for tips on that if she barks in the crate.   :-\
Daphne

Offline charlieinnj

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 08:17:13 am »
There was an interesting video on this same thing on 'The Dog Whisperer' on NationalGeogra phic.com.

Go to the video archives and it's called, "Soggy Doggy".
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 08:19:43 am by charlieinnj »

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 10:03:07 am »
Soggy Doggy!  ;D
That will be Kuma's new name! LOL
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)

-Ann landers

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 10:07:53 am »
Poor you! I agree with the others though. She needs to have her commands reinforced. You might even try not letting her get in the pool when you are out there so that she learns she can only get in when invited to do so. I'd keep the leash on her by the pool until then.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 10:47:01 am »
As everyone said back to basics on obedience.  Make sure she only goes in the pool when invited when you're out there.  Make her work to enjoy the privledge (maybe do a sit stay and only allow her in after five minutes of everyone else being in there).  And I think no more unsupervised outside time and when you catch her going in there correct her.  Maybe hang bottles/cans with rocks on the fence so A. it startles her B it lets you know she's getting into trouble.  Hope this helps.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 12:43:31 pm »
Or you could just give me the pool.  I would keep her out of it. (Well, unless my guys were in for a swim, and then she would be supervised)

Weedsport, NY

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 12:58:43 pm »
I read your Subject Title and thought, "well there are way worse fetishes than this...she could be into dirty movies or something even worse!"
OK, I know this thread isn't about my warped mind.  Back to Mrs. Soggy Doggy LOLOL.  I think everyone else was right about the obedience training and crating is imo also a great suggestion.  Badger wasn't allowed unattended until he was probaly almost 2 years old.  I worried about him chewing electrical cords, furniture..... they have to earn their privleges and unsupervised romping is one of them.
 :D

Offline Beth

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Kuma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 01:19:19 pm »
 :D
Beth &
Kuma (Newfoundland)