Author Topic: I just about had a heartattack!  (Read 7761 times)

Lyn

I just about had a heartattack!
« on: June 09, 2006, 09:02:44 am »
I was just replying to the oh my cuteness thread and I look over and Bubba leg is covered in blood! OMG. He COMPLETELY ripped off his double dewclaw. The only thing left is the TOE!!!!!!  :o

I stopped the bleeding for the most part, I think it will stop on it's own once it completely clots. I don't know how the heck he did it? He was laying behind me sleeping.. He had blood in his mouth too.. Could he have chewed it off?

Lyn

Re: I just about had a heartattack!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 09:27:11 am »
I tried to apply a steptic sp. pencil. Bubba just about jumped out of his fur. So I put flour on it. I tried to cover it but he wouldn't leave the bandage alone.

Jenn, The first thing I did was check Bubba's mouth, lol.. he was drooling blood. So I did think his mouth was bleeding.

Ugh, he licked the flour off too.. He won't leave it alone. ARG  :(

Hmmm, I don't think I have any aloe.. off to look.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 09:28:31 am by Lyn »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 09:49:18 am »
Poor Bubba!!  Looks ouchy!

I had never even heard of a double dew claw (so, of course I googled it!), and what little I found says it is a Pyr trait.  Do many saints have them?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:07:49 am »

I had never even heard of a double dew claw (so, of course I googled it!), and what little I found says it is a Pyr trait.  Do many saints have them?
Oh poor Bubba!...Hydrogen peroxide & Neosporin is what I'd use...I use Hydrogen Peroxide & Neosporin on everything. :D As far as the double dews...It's my understanding that in the late 1800's & early 1900's Pyrs were crossed along with Newfies with the smooth coated St. to strengthen St. genetics & that's how we got the long haired St which wasn't recognized by the AKC until around 1940 I believe...Befo re that there were none...So maybe the double dews on Bubba are a throwback to that. :)

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 10:10:11 am »
I'm not sure how common it is with Saint.. But I know there were 2 other pups in Bubba's litter that had double dewclaws. Bubba's is only on one hind leg.. the other hind leg just has a single dewclaw.

Go figure I was planning on having that dewclaw removed because it's floppy. There is no bone attached to it. If by chance the nail does regrow I'm going to take him in and have it removed before this happens again.

I tried to put some peroxide & neosporin but Bubba won't let me touch it now. LOL
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:12:31 am by Lyn »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 10:29:01 am »
I had read that Newfs were crossed but had not heard about them using Pyrs.  See, you learn something new everyday!  LOL!

Getting back at the toe to doctor it up again will be a 2 person job for sure!  Poor Bubba - Mama just wants to help!
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 10:46:31 am »
It's completely stopped bleeding since I put the flour on it, even though he licked it off. I guess it was on there long enough for the blood to clot.

The pool would be a no go. Bubba hates water with a passion. I soaked it the best I could to clean it up, then applied the flour. When hubby get's home we will tag team him and I'll clean it better with peroxide & neosporin.

I still can't believe he did that..  :(

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 12:22:53 pm »

It is known as polydactyly, and Saints can have it, although not preferable in the show ring, but not a disqualifier. I guess lots of dogs can have this, but only few breeds are required to have this as per breed standard. I have never heard of the Great Pyrenese being used as foundation breeding stock to strengthen the Saint Bernard either. The Saint Bernard Club of America mentions that there were three experimental breedings with Newfoundlands to produce the long haired Saints, but they do not mention the Pyr. The breed standard was set in 1888, and the only other mention of other dogs to strengthen the Saints after their near extinction in the early 1800's was the Great Dane and the Mastiff, although no written record remains. I think the origins of breeds are so interesting... I'm such a geek.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

doggylover

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 12:42:59 pm »
OMG OUCHY OMG OMG OMG
 :'(

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 06:28:08 pm »
Yikes! I hope it heals soon!

If Bubba is licking at it, try putting a long tube sock on that paw
RIP former BPO

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 07:27:54 pm »
I tried the sock. He wouldn't even move. He just stood there staring at the sock on his foot. LOL

I think it's finally done bleeding. It would stop then as soon as he started running around that toe would flop around and splatter blood all over. :(

I also found a broken nail in his bed but no blood.. The nail I found is not from that toe. It's from the other dewclaw beside it. In the pic I posted you can see it looks kinda jagged. So he broke both of them. Luckily that one didn't break off into the quick. I'm thinking they both got caught in his blanket lastnight and then with him licking and chewing it started bleeding. Good thing I caught him before he had them both bleeding. Darn dog!

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 09:51:58 pm »

It is known as polydactyly, and Saints can have it, although not preferable in the show ring, but not a disqualifier. I guess lots of dogs can have this, but only few breeds are required to have this as per breed standard. I have never heard of the Great Pyrenese being used as foundation breeding stock to strengthen the Saint Bernard either. The Saint Bernard Club of America mentions that there were three experimental breedings with Newfoundlands to produce the long haired Saints, but they do not mention the Pyr. The breed standard was set in 1888, and the only other mention of other dogs to strengthen the Saints after their near extinction in the early 1800's was the Great Dane and the Mastiff, although no written record remains. I think the origins of breeds are so interesting... I'm such a geek.
In most articles I read the Newfie is only mentioned though I've also read a few times that Pyrs were used in the cross breedings...An yone know anymore about this?...I love knowing all about dogs too...We're not geeks!...It's a worthwhile hobby! ;D