Author Topic: cut on the ear  (Read 3762 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
cut on the ear
« on: June 11, 2006, 06:28:56 pm »
hey all... nervous ninny here...

i have a question..  we were clipping fumble's knots out tonight and when we went to do the one behind the ear the scissors got a little close and it looks like we sliced the back of the ear.. it is maybe 3/4 inch long and only maybe a cm deep, but it looks like it's stretching open, almost like a mouth.  i know, gross!  but it's not bleeding and never did.  so we followed some directions from a bunch of different first aid things and we washed it out, cleaned it up good, and then tried to put steri strips on it but fumble was not having it!  so we put some neosporin on a bandage and stuck it on to the skin/fur (because he wasn't letting us clip anymore).. he barely even noticed that it happened and doesn't seem in pain when we touch it.. i was just wondering if anyone could give me some feedback..
did i do everything okay??
should i call the vet in the morning??
i'm sooo nervous that it's going to get infecteD! but i used salt water (the real thing, drove over to the beach) to clean it out and have already put a lot of neosporin on it!  any help would be greaT!  thanks!!

"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: cut on the ear
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:09:11 pm »
I would say you're doing everything right. But I would also recommend cleaning it twice a day with hyrdogen peroxide. It may sting some, but it will kill all germs that may be near or in the cut. Feel better soon, Fumble!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 08:26:47 pm »
You're doing everything right.  Just keep it clean and apply the neosporin til it's better (at least once a day) and watch out for infection.  If it starts to get gross go the vet and get some antibiotics, otherwise I'm sure it'll heal fine. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 08:31:15 pm »
Sounds like you are taking good care of your baby. Poor Fumble----accidents happen though.  I always manage to cut at least 2 of Farleys nail too short. He bleeds ALL over the place and is impossible to get the Kwickstopp on. I feel horrible everytime. Just keep an eye on the cut for any changes--he will be fine. Sounds like he has forgiven you already ;) Farley sulks for like 3 hours ::)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:35:09 am by Icerotti »

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 05:07:11 am »
thanks guys!  it looks like it's starting to heal today.  we put some more neosporin on it and another bandage! lol!  hey it's keeping him from scratching it! although stacy did yesterday pick up very stylish bandages, so now fumble is sporting a bright blue one!  good heavens!  my best friend said hydrogen peroxide too, so i think we're gonna go get some and do that when we get home from work this afternoon..  i think i'm going to get a big box and make my very own doggie first aid kit! i have a bunch of stuff it's just a matter of putting it all in one placE!  sheesh! these puppies!  i can only imagine how i'll be when my future first child sneezes for the first time!  :P thanks again everyone!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 09:05:47 am »
i can only imagine how i'll be when my future first child sneezes for the first time!
Everybody in the car, to the ER at twice the speed limit, screaming at the Triage Nurse on arrival telling them its a imperitive that your child be seen immediatly. The flip is Fumble might well get you over this whole process and you might be at the point of the "It's a long way from the heart." mentality.

How is it we leave you two alone on the Cape to clean and you end up maiming(sp) the Fumbs. It sounds like you did everything right except the salt water, while it will undoubtedly work, saline solution is what you were most likely thinking of when you thought "salt water" to flush the cut.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 09:31:57 am »
Hehe  drove to the beach for salt water.  What we won't do for our pups.

Tina you have to understand the Cape is only like 6 miles wide where the girls live, so they can go to the ocean or the bay in less than 5 minutes. Although I imagine it could take a little longer now with the tourists.

A little note for the girls and Fumbs, the New England Newf Club is having a get together I believe the weekend of Sept 17 in Barnstable so it will be your neck of the woods. We also need to start planning something for the kids B-Days Winslow is June 28 and Fumble is July 9? so they are approaching.