Author Topic: Need Opinions  (Read 4333 times)

mjjensen

Need Opinions
« on: June 12, 2006, 03:54:40 pm »
  I've recently had to make a difficult decision about mine and the pup’s futures. Actually for me the decision wasn't hard at all but since I've made it I've been barraged by people (friends, family, co-workers) that think I've made a big mistake, that I don't have my priorities straight, etc. It would take forever to explain the whole situation but basically I just quit a job I absolutely love and moved away from the place I had planned on spending the rest of my life in order to be closer to the care that Max needs. I think I've done the right thing but nobody else seems to understand why I would do this for a "dog", even friends with dogs. It would be nice to hear someone tell me that I'm "NOT" being dumb, or too sentimental, or any of the many other thing that rhyme with "crazy"!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Need Opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 03:58:14 pm »
Nope, you are SO not crazy!  This is from the woman who checks to see if there are Animal ERs on road trips in case Cowboy seizes.  AND I carry valium for him at all times (with a giant syringe for rectal use only!!)

If people would/could understand that our animals are truly family members they'd get it.  If you had to be close to a clinic for a chronically sick child, they would think you were wonderful.  I think your wonderful because you did it for your dog!  Great jobs and places are always around....our animals aren't!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 04:10:31 pm by newflvr »

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 04:07:30 pm »
I think you made a good decision.  And it was YOUR decision to make.  I think you are an awesome furdad to give up that for Max.  And I think your asking the wrong group of people to call you 'crazy' as we all would fall into that category too.  We're the ones that go for 2 hr drives to meet up with other BPOers.  How is Max doing?  I've been thinking about him whenever I see your posts.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 04:15:39 pm »
They are the ones who are crazy because they can't see the forest for the trees. They can't see what a loving , caring, unselfish person that you are for putting the need of someone you care about first.After all it is YOUR life and you have to do what YOU feel comfortable doing.
What a great furparent you are ;D ;) :-*

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 04:48:21 pm »
You are show what true love is all about.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

mjjensen

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 04:55:07 pm »
I think you made a good decision.  And it was YOUR decision to make.  I think you are an awesome furdad to give up that for Max.  And I think your asking the wrong group of people to call you 'crazy' as we all would fall into that category too.  We're the ones that go for 2 hr drives to meet up with other BPOers.  How is Max doing?  I've been thinking about him whenever I see your posts.
Deep down I've never doubted I did the right thing but I've gotten so much flack that sometimes it's left me with little doubts. I brought it up here because I knew you guys would understand. I guess I was just looking for a little positive reenforcement.
  I've hesitated updating everyone one on Max because I didn't want to jinx things. The whole process has been so long and drawn out. Max had another cardiac ultrasound a month or so ago and his condition had worsened but only a little. He's now on medication to deal with fluid buildup in his abdomen but on the bright side he qualified for the valve replacement surgery and I'm hoping to have a firm date within the next week. So it looks like Max and I will be making a road trip to the University of Colorado sometime in the next few months

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 04:57:43 pm »
You aren't 'crazy' you are 'abnormal'.  Most people won't sacrifice for other people or for animals.  A spirit is a spirit as far as I'm concerned, whether it's a people spirit or an animal spirit.  Tell people who say you are crazy to consider what our world would be like if everyone made decisions with other's interests at heart. 
 :D

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 05:07:04 pm »
Anyone one that says your decision is wrong is SELFISH, you, on the other hand, are SELFLESS!!  I think it is wonderful that you love Max so much that you would make such sacrifices for him.
I hope all goes well in Max's treatment and recovery!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 07:37:22 pm »
Deep down I've never doubted I did the right thing but I've gotten so much flack that sometimes it's left me with little doubts. I brought it up here because I knew you guys would understand. I guess I was just looking for a little positive reenforcement.
  I've hesitated updating everyone one on Max because I didn't want to jinx things. The whole process has been so long and drawn out. Max had another cardiac ultrasound a month or so ago and his condition had worsened but only a little. He's now on medication to deal with fluid buildup in his abdomen but on the bright side he qualified for the valve replacement surgery and I'm hoping to have a firm date within the next week. So it looks like Max and I will be making a road trip to the University of Colorado sometime in the next few months

I hope the surgery goes well. It's a really good school so he'll be in good hands.  You'll have to visit with us before you leave though!  Kali wants to meet Duncan.  And you are definitely making a good decision and you can always come back if you want to.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 07:46:35 pm »
Only you can decide what is best for your life, and if caring for your pet is what makes you feel good in life, your family and friends should support you!
RIP former BPO

k2campbell

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 08:12:49 pm »
You are not crazy at all - I would do the same thing! ;) Don't worry about what others' think, it's what you think (and do) that matters anyhow.  Some people are just ignorant to others' emotions, which sucks >:(

You are a very caring person to give up so much to benefit Max's health - I admire your courage! :) Max is lucky to have you!!! ;)

I wish you (and Max) the best of luck through all of this ;)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 08:15:32 pm by k2campbell »

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 08:27:48 pm »
You are being so selfless. I love my girls, but I don't even know if I would be able to do what you are doing for Max! Besides, who is everyone else to tell you what decision you should be making? You have to decide what's best.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

mjjensen

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006, 10:02:06 am »
 Thank you all for your support. I knew you guys would cheer me up. I think you're giving me way too much credit though. Fortunately since I'm no longer married and my daughter is grown and out on her own any decisions I make really only affect the pups and I. I'm relocating 4 hours away from the island I've been living on, in the southern part of the state so I'm only 10 minutes away from the cardiac doctor who's been working with Max and 2 hours away from Tufts if anything serious comes up. Unfortunately Tufts doesn't specialize in the surgery Max needs so the drive (flying would be too stressful for him) to Fort Collins, CO is nessesary. The doctor there specializes in this surgery and has a very good success rate. I expect we'll be there a couple of weeks to give Max time to recover enough to travel then we'll be back home. I really hope that once all this is behind us I'll be able to bring all my guys to a N.E. BPO get together. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you.
  While I'm at it I'd really like to thank the members of this group that encouraged me not quit at the time that I had given up hope of finding a solution to Max's problem. If it weren't for you none of this would be possible.
 Michael

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 10:55:34 am »
Thank you all for your support. I knew you guys would cheer me up. I think you're giving me way too much credit though. Fortunately since I'm no longer married and my daughter is grown and out on her own any decisions I make really only affect the pups and I. I'm relocating 4 hours away from the island I've been living on, in the southern part of the state so I'm only 10 minutes away from the cardiac doctor who's been working with Max and 2 hours away from Tufts if anything serious comes up. Unfortunately Tufts doesn't specialize in the surgery Max needs so the drive (flying would be too stressful for him) to Fort Collins, CO is nessesary. The doctor there specializes in this surgery and has a very good success rate. I expect we'll be there a couple of weeks to give Max time to recover enough to travel then we'll be back home. I really hope that once all this is behind us I'll be able to bring all my guys to a N.E. BPO get together. I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you.
  While I'm at it I'd really like to thank the members of this group that encouraged me not quit at the time that I had given up hope of finding a solution to Max's problem. If it weren't for you none of this would be possible.
 Michael

Ok sorry I was confused thought you were moving to CO.  Well you're staying in the same state what are they complaining about?  ;)  I can't wait to meet your crew....you'll definitely have to let us know when your able to meet up and we can plan something.  We'll take Duncan and Sam while your road tripping... you may not get them back though!  Let us know if you need anything cause we'd be more than happy to help.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 02:56:16 pm »
I remember when I first got Sadie you were going through all that and trying to make a decision on what to do. I think it's great that you're doing that for Max. He's very lucky to have you because as you're aware by the way your friends and family are reacting, not many people would do that for a dog. I almost took out a home equity loan this winter when my kitty needed surgery, so I can definitely relate. They're our kids and we do what we have to do for them.

And by the way, if you need someone to keep the other boys occupied while you're dealing with Max, I'd be more than happy to kidnap - uh I mean babysit ;)
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge