Author Topic: Our 1st dogpark "incident"  (Read 8410 times)

Yaz

Re: Our 1st dogpark "incident"
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 08:05:24 am »
I find dog parks to be a necessary evil when you have a puppy. Puppies don't care for walks, they want to play and no matter how long you walk your puppy that is not going to give him/her the same exhausted sense of well being that a good play session at the dog park will bring.

But, when you have just one bad apple, the whole visit becomes sour. There are so many owners who view their dogs as child substitutes. There is nothing wrong with that per say, but these are the same people who would be horrible parents if they had children. They are over protective of their dogs unless of course it is their dog dominating another dog, and they do not have the FIRST clue about what constitutes normal dog play and inappropriate behavior.

Whenever I have a new pup I suffer through the ups and downs of the dog park for the first couple of years, until my dog matures to the point where going for walks and hikes is more enjoyable for him than having to sort through ranking and aggression with other dogs at the park.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 08:27:55 am »
I almost forgot to tell of another strange dogpark incident. It happened a couple of weeks ago. Angus was playing with Josh (great dane) when in walked a man with a Rottweiler, Max. That was fine, Max immediately tried to hump Angus (all 3 dogs were male) and that was fine with me and Maxs owner didn't see that. Angus then went to hump Max and the owner seen that and made a swing at Angus to get him off. I grabbed Angus before anything happened with the owner (not the dog) then everything settled and all dogs were playing for around 20 minutes. Then Max decided to hump Josh and Josh returned the favour. Maxs owner took a swing at Josh and kicked his dog off him. All dogs were seperated again for a few minutes and then we left. While all this was happening Maxs owner asked me to trade Angus for Max!! I thought he was joking, but he keep asking me to trade and I'm like no thanks, I don't think so. So then he asked me if I knew any Newf breeders where he could get one. I done the honourable thing... and made up a breeder name (Hangashore Newfs)located in Bacon Cove. Good luck in trying to find THAT breeder!!!

So those 2 incidents make up my 5% bad experiences at the dogpark.

mjjensen

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 08:33:26 am »
I almost forgot to tell of another strange dogpark incident. It happened a couple of weeks ago. Angus was playing with Josh (great dane) when in walked a man with a Rottweiler, Max. That was fine, Max immediately tried to hump Angus (all 3 dogs were male) and that was fine with me and Maxs owner didn't see that. Angus then went to hump Max and the owner seen that and made a swing at Angus to get him off. I grabbed Angus before anything happened with the owner (not the dog) then everything settled and all dogs were playing for around 20 minutes. Then Max decided to hump Josh and Josh returned the favour. Maxs owner took a swing at Josh and kicked his dog off him. All dogs were seperated again for a few minutes and then we left. While all this was happening Maxs owner asked me to trade Angus for Max!! I thought he was joking, but he keep asking me to trade and I'm like no thanks, I don't think so. So then he asked me if I knew any Newf breeders where he could get one. I done the honourable thing... and made up a breeder name (Hangashore Newfs)located in Bacon Cove. Good luck in trying to find THAT breeder!!!

So those 2 incidents make up my 5% bad experiences at the dogpark.
  That's just weird. I'd be worried about going back there and running into the guy. Sounds like he's got a screw loose!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 08:44:42 am »
Maxs owner took a swing at Josh and kicked his dog off him

Huh? a swing and a kick?? And this guy wants another (or new dog?)  Oh, I don't think so!  I thought we had all the weirdos here, on the West Coast! 

As I explained on another thread, we've just pretty much given up on dog parks.  The people are too bizarre and they, for the most part, have no concept of watching out for their dogs...never mind mine!

Cowboy's internist called to check up on him yesterday (she's such a wonderful vet!!!) and once again reminded me to keep him out of dog parks.  Not so much because of the violence, but because of the diseases.  There are just too many strange things cropping up and he's just too vulnerable. 

I'm sorry Angus has had such a tough time...if you were closer, we'd have our own playdates...GI ANTS only!!!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 08:45:32 am by newflvr »

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 09:18:46 am »
Maxs owner took a swing at Josh and kicked his dog off him

Huh? a swing and a kick?? And this guy wants another (or new dog?)  Oh, I don't think so!  I thought we had all the weirdos here, on the West Coast! 

As I explained on another thread, we've just pretty much given up on dog parks.  The people are too bizarre and they, for the most part, have no concept of watching out for their dogs...never mind mine!

Cowboy's internist called to check up on him yesterday (she's such a wonderful vet!!!) and once again reminded me to keep him out of dog parks.  Not so much because of the violence, but because of the diseases.  There are just too many strange things cropping up and he's just too vulnerable. 

I'm sorry Angus has had such a tough time...if you were closer, we'd have our own playdates...GI ANTS only!!!
Wouldn't that be great!! Giants only. This guy who was with Max gave me the impression he was dogsitting!! Of course he wasn't from Newfoundland either. His reason for wanting Angus was that I looked to soft and needed a rott to protect me, and he was to intimidating and tough looking while walking Max, so he needed a softer gentlier looking dog like Angus so he didn't come off so dominate looking to others!! I will not walk in the dogpark if that guy is there again.