Author Topic: Finny has a rash!  (Read 12026 times)

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
Finny has a rash!
« on: June 06, 2005, 12:17:45 pm »
It is on his belly and inner thighs, where there is little to no hair. They look like raw spots, one as big as a quarter, a couple very small. Now he had this same rash when we got him and when we took him to the vet he said it was no big deal. He did give him anti-biotics but only because Finn was being neutered and the vet wanted to make sure it didn't cause an infection in his incision.
He doesn't seem to be paying any extra attention to that area, but just now when I got out a warm cloth to clean up the area I could tell he didn't really like me touching them. He kept licking my hand and trying to nudge me away.  So, any suggestions as to what it is or what to do for it? The vet didn't think it was a big deal, but I'd still like to know what causes it so I can try to aviod it.   Thanks all!

Vicki

lins_saving_grace

Re: Finny has a rash!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 12:21:43 pm »
Maybe it's heat rash.  I wonder if Baby powder would calm it down...like with babies.

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 12:28:11 pm »
Darn! I don't have baby powder!!!!
I think my washing it irritated it a bit cause now he keeps sticking his head down there and licking at it......
How about beer? I have some of that!

Vicki

nickerbokker

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 12:29:48 pm »
i dont know about the finn....but i know it would hlpe mom!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 12:31:44 pm »
If it is raw, I wonder if baby powder woud irritate it more?  Maybe some Neosporin or Bactine or something?
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 12:34:48 pm »
I was thinking some ointment... like A&D or neosporine. Someone just told me that they thought it was the same thing her dogs got....like a doggie acne. He pups got it a couple of times untill they were about a year old. She said that she didn't do anything about it and it was fine. It looks yucky, like I don't take care of him or I make him sleep in his own crap or something!!! I don't want raw wounds on my puppy!!!

Vicki

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 12:45:37 pm »
It could also be an allergy...Espe cially if it's itchy and he's starting to mess with it. We have always had good luck with Benadryl caps. Merlin is 140 lbs, and he took 150 MG twice a day with meals. It helps to control the itch but it may make him reaaly drowsy, so no operating heavy machinery for him!
Stella

Offline Jerry

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 01:08:32 pm »
Josh the Saint gets those.  We put Polysporin on them and they clear up pretty quickly.  The vet says they are the same thing as a hotspot except there is no fur on the area..  The vet can also provide a prescription ointment at abput $30 per tube..

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 01:41:43 pm »
Poor Finn...rashes are yucky! Good luck in fixing the problem! My vote is for the ointment and Benadryl combo!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 02:14:52 pm »
polysporin works great. Poor Finn. Hope it isnt bothering him. Something with an antibiotic so if he does scratch at it, it wont get infected.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2005, 02:33:12 pm »
Zeus comes up with weird rashes from time to time. Our vet said that if we didn't want to constantly pay for ointments through them, Bag Balm (they use it on cow udders for irritation) works really well. You can pick it up at any grocery or pet store.

Best of luck!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2005, 03:03:52 pm »
My Nana used to keep a big tub of bag balm around the house. I used to giggle at the name when I was a kid....
I will give some benadryl and slap some ointment on it...we'll see if that works. Thanks guys!

Vicki

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 08:39:01 pm »
Poor Finn. Galahad has had a couple of "baby pimles" but they usually are around his mouth, like on his chin, and if I am quick and wipe him after every feeding before he gets it smeered in, that helps too. It can be the heat, it can be protein allergy, mind you that usually itches real bad. I like Jabears idea to combine Benadryl and ointm. I like to use triple antibiotic. They also have a good "anti itch" spray for dogs, but hopefully it will clear up real fast.

Good Luck Finn and dont let mommy pour beer on your thigh  ;D (if she does you make her eat ointment K???)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog