Author Topic: Help! Dry Newf coat needs to be better for shows!  (Read 10314 times)

Offline forgottensecrets

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Secrets Kennels
Help! Dry Newf coat needs to be better for shows!
« on: June 18, 2006, 10:58:53 pm »
I have my male Newfoundland whose skin is nice, but his coat is awful dry to the sight and touch.  How can I fix this so that I can show him.  Also, I could use some help learning how the coat is supposed to lay for show.  His tends to stand on end right now, but I'm sure once the dryness is fixed, it should lay nicely.  Thanks in advance.
-Rose-

"Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lifes whole"
                 -Roger Caras

Nicole

Re: Help! Dry Newf coat needs to be better for shows!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 11:30:31 pm »
My first question would be, what are you feeding him? Food is the most critical factor in a nice coat. If you're feeding him a nice high-quality food that doesn't contain any ingredients that he's allergic to, then perhaps he needs a supplement.

I think that there are also many nice conditioners out there for dogs. I use an oatmeal one for my Newf X because he does tend toward itchy skin. We haven't had too many problems with that now that we've got him on a nice food, though.

Just some suggestions!  :)

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 05:31:52 am »
Does he swim a lot? how old is he? what are you feeding? do you bathe him a lot? if so with what?
what is the climate like there? is he lacking undercoat due to the heat of summer or due to the climate you live in?
all good questions to ask, also, i frown on open coats for showing, and all the frigging scissorwork that is done on our beloved newfs, that would sink if brought to a lake to swim while in show groom, anyway, to best find out if you want to GO WITH THE CROWD is to hit a local newfoundland club that has regular grooming seminars that only encourage the horrible scissorcutting and blasted open coats for the breed ring that only encourages type and nothing else but harmful fads.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 06:20:31 am »
I think the stuff you need is called InFlight.  Dixie uses it with DixieDarlin', her show pyr and it makes a HUGE difference.  It's a food supplement.  However, you need about 30 days for it to really work.  She'll be along here soon and can give the real info to you.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 08:34:43 am »
I bought some Inflight and haven't used it because I was afraid that it would maintain the undercoat...an d because of the heat in Southern Calif, the dogs would get too hot.  Is that NOT true?

I use "Dream Coat" for them instead.  It's an oil that you put in their food (a couple of tablespoons) and it seems to be working perfectly.  They are both shiny and soft.  I think you can get it at any big pet store or Whole Foods market, if you have one of those near you.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:04:36 am »
Hi,

I got this link off www.newf.net they have a grooming forum and this is a link with pictures of newf grooming. They are a Newf only forum with plenty of Breeders and Show folks that might be another resource for you.

http://www.logrus.trivium.blink.pl/groomingnewfengl.html

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:50:49 pm »
We give Drake fatty acid pills in his food and use Mane & Tail shampoo.  That seems to keep his coat nice and conditioned.  From time to time, especially when he's been swimming in clorinated swimming pools, we put on some Buddy Rinse after we shampoo him.  Here's a link so you can see what it is, you should find it or something just like it at most pet stores.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YFQ7G/002-4118878-4423252?v=glance&n=284507

Lots of brushing and the spray conditioners, like Earth Bath Spritz, help too.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 01:52:13 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline forgottensecrets

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 08:16:18 pm »
My first question would be, what are you feeding him? Food is the most critical factor in a nice coat. If you're feeding him a nice high-quality food that doesn't contain any ingredients that he's allergic to, then perhaps he needs a supplement.

I think that there are also many nice conditioners out there for dogs. I use an oatmeal one for my Newf X because he does tend toward itchy skin. We haven't had too many problems with that now that we've got him on a nice food, though.

Just some suggestions!  :)

He eats just a maintainance formula.  He will not eat canned food or any types of supplements, I've tried.  He takes pills well, but I don't know of any that would work for the coat.  He isn't allergic to anything as far as I know, and his skin is in great condition.

Does he swim a lot? how old is he? what are you feeding? do you bathe him a lot? if so with what?
what is the climate like there? is he lacking undercoat due to the heat of summer or due to the climate you live in?
all good questions to ask, also, i frown on open coats for showing, and all the frigging scissorwork that is done on our beloved newfs, that would sink if brought to a lake to swim while in show groom, anyway, to best find out if you want to GO WITH THE CROWD is to hit a local newfoundland club that has regular grooming seminars that only encourage the horrible scissorcutting and blasted open coats for the breed ring that only encourages type and nothing else but harmful fads.

Believe it or not, he hates water.  He just turned 3 in January.  We were giving him time to grow up before deciding to show him or not, and what we decided was for me to train him for Juniors, so I'm not looking for any maniac hair clipping, just how to blow the coat and make the hair look shinier and healthier.  He doesn't get bathed very often due to his hatred of water, but has been bathed a few times.  He is an outdoor dog(has marking issues), so I spray him down with the hose daily in the summer heat.  I use Black Pearl on his coat, and then just a concetrated conditioner, that can also be left in the coat, but I rinse it out.  It's Pennsylvania, so 80-100 degree summers, 10-30 degree winters.  That's another problem I have.  His coat maintains the undercoat during shedding season, and it is so thick, the shedding rake goes right over the top layer of hair, instead of getting the undercoat.  He also hates staying still for more than two seconds, which also makes it hard, but we have the grooming equipment to help that.

Hi,

I got this link off www.newf.net they have a grooming forum and this is a link with pictures of newf grooming. They are a Newf only forum with plenty of Breeders and Show folks that might be another resource for you.

http://www.logrus.trivium.blink.pl/groomingnewfengl.html

Rich

That is the next thing I'm reading.  Thanks.

We give Drake fatty acid pills in his food and use Mane & Tail shampoo.  That seems to keep his coat nice and conditioned.  From time to time, especially when he's been swimming in clorinated swimming pools, we put on some Buddy Rinse after we shampoo him.  Here's a link so you can see what it is, you should find it or something just like it at most pet stores.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002YFQ7G/002-4118878-4423252?v=glance&n=284507

Lots of brushing and the spray conditioners, like Earth Bath Spritz, help too.  Good luck!

I have this new spray conditioner stuff that I got free samples of from a show that I used on his coat once, and the coat just looked amazing, but the next day, it was back to dry and dull.  I'll take a look at and do some research on that Buddy Rinse.  What about the fatty acid pills.  Brand?  Umm.. where I might be able to find them in my area maybe.

Thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate it.

-Rose-
-Rose-

-Roger Caras

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2006, 07:37:39 am »
Hi,

One other thing, I haven't tried this yet, but will soon. You can use a Shop vac as a blow dryer, just put the hose on the exhaust end for warm air. It wont get as hot as a blow dryer will and they are a lot ummm "less expensive" (CHEAPER) 8) then those doggie blow dryers  ;) .

I have heard from several people who do this and are very happy with the result.

Rich
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2006, 11:01:01 am »
I have this new spray conditioner stuff that I got free samples of from a show that I used on his coat once, and the coat just looked amazing, but the next day, it was back to dry and dull.  I'll take a look at and do some research on that Buddy Rinse.  What about the fatty acid pills.  Brand?  Umm.. where I might be able to find them in my area maybe.

Thanks for all your help.  I really appreciate it.

-Rose-

We got the Fatty Acid pills from our vet, not sure of the brand.  It was for his skin while he was healing from his Hot Spots on his tail, it was getting really dry and flakey.  We noticed his coat became extra soft and fluffy after we started giving them to him so we are continuing it now.  Fish oil or Flax seed oil are good for their skin and coats too.  Just something to consider.  Good luck with all of this info.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 11:20:25 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 11:25:39 am »
maybe try some flaxseed oil??? we give fumble both flaxseed and wheat germ, and everyone always tells us what an amazing coat he has... or it could be the food... i'm not sure, i like to think it's those vitamins that i spend a fortune on!!!  :P ;)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline forgottensecrets

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 03:28:04 pm »
We already have a dog blow dryer.  We needed it because I also show our Saint Bernards in Juniors and breed.  I will try flaxseed oil and other things with Omega 3 fatty acids.  I am also going to try to change his food over to Eagle Pack, which is what we feed our two young Saint puppies, and their coats are better than all the other dogs.  I'll try a few things.  I think some of it is just undercoat that is being maintained, though.  Any ideas on the right type of brushes to use.  I have two different kinds of shedding rakes, and neither work.
-Rose-

-Roger Caras