Author Topic: Jesse is home alive! (for now anyway)  (Read 4654 times)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
Jesse is home alive! (for now anyway)
« on: June 20, 2006, 10:09:37 am »
I was so sure we'd be digging all day today.  We lost Piper, Jesse's mom, and Josh, his brother in late March.  Jesse has not handled the loss well at all but the past few weeks have been really bad.  He was in a lot more pain so I started giving him Rimadyl figuring it was his arthritis which has always been very bad.  The Rimadyl didn't agree with his system and he started having terrible diarrhea, liquid squirts.  Unfortunately to stop the diarrhea we had to stop the Rimadyl so the pain came back.  Last night he was in agony!  Took him to the vet today and wish I'd gone sooner.  The problem is in his neck and/or upper spine.  The Rimadyl caused a problem because he's on prednisone for seasonal allergies.  Oy!  So we've got some new pain killers, muscle relaxers and anti-inflamatory meds to try and see if we can get this under control.  The Rimadyl helped before so this ought to help.  We can try anyway.  Part of his prognosis depends on the cause and we don't know the cause.  If it is a slipped disk, he may come out of it ok with some muscle relaxers for a while.  If it is arthritis and a piece has come lose and is knocking around in there, he may never really come out of this.  Anyway, here's to a little more time to spoil Jesse!  It really is so hard to decide at times but this step is clear - there is one more thing we can try for him!  His tail still works vigorously!  He does NOT want to move though so the whole vet visit was quite the painful ordeal for him.  He's sleeping it off now and snoring beside me.
Daphne

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Jesse is home alive! (for now anyway)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 10:20:41 am »
POOR him!!!  Please give him some kisses and slobbers from his Newf buddies in Calif.!!  I'm sorry he's having such a rough time!!!  Sounds like you are doing everything you can for him and giving him lots of love and quality time.  All he needs now are cyber hugs from all of us.   :)

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 11:50:50 am »
I'm so glad that they found something else that might work for Jesse!...I bet it felt great to get to bring him back home!...I had the same kind of thing happen recently with my cat, Henry...He has an autoimmune deficiancy type thing & we have tried everything & he is now on steroids to manage the symtoms & pain...But, about a month ago the steroid pills weren't working well for him anymore & I thought our trip to the vet that day might be Henry's last..But they had a steroid shot that keeps him for about 2 to 3 weeks & he is doing well on the shots...& the extra time we have is a blessing!...You make sure to give Jesse a great big ol' back end scratch from me! :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 11:56:37 am by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline Love My Emmee

• Ankle Biter
  • My Dane, My Savior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:20:05 pm »
OH Poor Jesse!!!  :'(

It's so very hard to see our "children" in pain.  I'll send prayers your way. 

God Bless
People will always judge you, but your will dog love you for who you are.

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 12:29:26 pm »
I'm so relieved!  He's sleeping so soundly right now, laying on his side and actually looking like he's not in pain.  Time will tell but it is tentatively looking really good.  He's SUCH a sweet boy that it really killed me to see him in such terrible pain.  I was also getting pretty POed at my DH who didn't want to deal with the situation.  Like it might go away if you ignore it long enough... 
Daphne