Author Topic: food  (Read 17040 times)

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
food
« on: March 17, 2005, 01:12:58 pm »
Help,was wandering what people fed their saint?

awo

Re: food
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 08:01:48 pm »
Hello,
     Well I know some saint owners do the BARF diet, which consists of all raw meat and vegetables ground up.  I on the other hand use Pro Plan adult Beef.  I don't know how old your Saint is, but as a puppy you don't want to feed him/her to much food with protien in it.  I always look to see what the first ingredient is on the food label, that's what's going to be the most in the food.  I hope this helps.

awo

Offline walnutcreekbernese

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 08:06:10 pm »
Here in NZ - People feed their Saint on Proplan also Nutrience large breed puppy and also adult - that we buy them from the pet shop or vet clinic - I am not sure what good dog food in america.

Offline bigpawsadmin

• Michael~
  • Administrator
  • Veteran Dog Chomper
  • This is Bear
    • View Profile
    • Website - www.michaelandjaime.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 08:07:11 pm »
Feeding can be a lengthy topic - I'm sure many of us have been there. However I havn't heard much about the BARF diet - is it necessary with Saints? How much does it cost a month? How do they like it?
Just trying to keep the bugs off the board!

awo

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 08:12:47 pm »
Actually the BARF diet has been around for a long time, but it's just now coming to be the new thing for dogs.  First, the diet doesn't have to be just for saints, it can be for all dogs.  People who use the BARF diet, claim that their dogs teeth are cleaner and they have the healthiest looking coats.  I would suggest that anyone looking into doing this, do your research first.  It depends on how many dogs that you have, it really costs about the same as dog food.  If this is something you choose to do, you can make enough portions for a month and just freeze them.  You can go online to research for this diet. 

awo

Offline newfdog

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 08:14:13 pm »
How do the dogs like it?

awo

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 08:17:42 pm »
Have you ever tasted dog food?  If you haven't I suggest you try it, it won't make you sick, but it has no flavor at all and if your dog gets goodies from the table or other treats,what do you think your dog would choose.  You can also just try the barf diet and see how your dog likes it first before you decide to do the monthly portions.  I hope this helps.

awo

awo

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 08:32:10 pm »

Lorrie

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 08:43:03 pm »
I feed a BARF diet to both of my dogs, my Saint and my Cocker.  They love it.  But it's not for everyone, and you should research it online as suggested.  Use any search engine and type in Barf diet for dogs, you will be amazed at how much info you will find.  There are even message boards, like this for the BARF diet.
Lorrie

Offline MolosserMart.com

• Ankle Biter
  • http://www.MolosserMart.com | Big Dog Supplies
    • View Profile
    • Big Dog Custom Collars & Supplies | Free Collars to Contest Winners!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 08:58:37 pm »
For folks living in America a much more cost efficient version of the barf diet is all natural dry kibble. No fat spray ons, no old rotting ingredients. Its all natural and baked over 2 times for easy digestability.

The only dry food bronx would touch without any extra treats(gravy, rice, meat) added to it and its all human grade ingredients. http://www.QualityDogFood.com
Regards & God Bless,
Elena Gb
~~
If God Brings Me to it he will bring me through it!
Agree to disagree.
~~
http://www.MolosserMart.com
Big Dog Custom Collars | FREE Collars to Winners.
~~
http://www.BreederWebDesign.com
Custom Affordable Website Design for Ethical Breeder

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 09:59:02 pm »
FYI- we feed Solid Gold. It is very healthy and is a recommended food by many vets and breeders because it has no preservatives or fillers in it. It is also supposed to be safe for human consumption, if you wanted to share food with you dog I suppose.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 07:11:33 pm »
We use Nutro, which was recommended to us by our breeders.  So far it has seemed to work well.  His coat is beautiful, and he seems to be growing at a healthy rate.  However, he recently developed a urinary tract infection.  The vet says this could be due to his diet.  We don't feed him people food and we've moved the cat food out of his reach.  The only other food he sometimes gets his mits on is rabbit food.  Has anyone heard anything about Nutro? 
Also, is the raw diet really high maintenance?  We would love to do what is best for our dog, but it seems like so much work.  I wouldn't even begin to know where to buy food for him.  Thanks for the websites, i'll definately look into it!

awo

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 08:50:05 pm »
Hello,
    Yes, I have heard of Nutro, however I don't use it for my saint.  The only thing I really have to say about Nutro is the first ingredient listed, which is beef meal.  Beef meal can consist of all parts of a cow, including eyelids, eyes and so forth.  I use Pro Plan, which I feel has better ingredients, but that is my choice.  There may be many reasons other than what your vet said.  I hope this kind of helps.

awo

Offline lifeisgood76

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2005, 09:42:11 pm »
I feed Neura Wellness the simple food. It is awseome, we feed the venison and rice, one protein and one carbohydrate.  It took a long time for me to find the right food.  The urinary probs can come from to many veggies also.  We fed our rotti, neura wellness fish and sweet potatoe, the sweet potatoe gave him he urinary probs.  He has major food allergy issues, the venison and rice is the only food(including barf) that doesnt give him probs, I would love to get my neo on barf, but i am not sure if its the best thing yet.  I need to talk to more neo owners first!
Laurie French
Mommy of Neapolitan Mastiff Daisy DOO!!
And Rotti Gunnar!

Offline raaleppo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
    • Raaleppo Saint Bernards
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 04:28:47 pm »
I have fed Proplan for many years
But at the moment
Pediigree Advance