Author Topic: food  (Read 14730 times)

Offline stjennifer2413

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: food
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2005, 04:06:35 pm »
Ah, the great food debate!  I made the mistake of asking about food when we adopted Winston and got a three inch stack of material from the rescue group.  In an ideal world, I would like to feed a raw diet, however, I don't have time to cook for myself, let alone the dog.  I ended up going with the food his foster family fed, which is Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance.  He has done really well on this food until recently, when he developed a hot spot.  I'm switching him over to the Natural Balance allergy formula (duck & potato) just in case it was food related.

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 03:25:45 pm »
That is a good food too. We used it when Bear was a puppy.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 09:14:52 am »
I am the mommy of a 10 month 144 pounds Saint Bernard named Cassie.  We have had her since she was 8 weeks old - 17 pounds.  We feed Cassie Nutro Natural Choice for large breed puppies, initially we fed the Nutro Natural Choice wet with the kibble.  NOW she eats 10 cups a day in split into two feedings with homemade chicken and  broth poured over the top (instead of the wet food) We found she is Gassie Cassie with wet food.  (that is when she decides to eat) Miss Finicky Eater... She usually skips breakfast 3-4 days a week.  We are thinking about just feeding once a day, we shall see.  

Cassie has food issues, if we travel or her routine is comprimised in any way she just won't eat.  We had to travel to LA for the weekend, and she is an excellent dog when traveling, and she loves the car.  The only downside is that she will not eat.  If she is fed too late - on the weekends for example her normal breakfast is 6:30am if we feed her at 8:00am forget it...she sniffs and walks away.  My husband says she will eat when she gets hungry enough.  I have to say after throwing away too many LARGE bowls of food down the disposal.... I do have to agree with my husband.   :-*
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline romanreign

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Roman Reign Working Dog
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 11:55:27 am »
I have my boy (130lb Swissy) on BARF.  We switched to it after being on ProPlan for 2 years for various reasons.  The barf diet can sounds intimidating, but it is no more trouble than adding extras to kibble. I had thought about feeding an all-natural "raw" kibble, but it would end up costing me much more. 

I buy my chicken at the grocery store (from 19 cents/lb to 39 cents/lb), and make my own veggie mix (whole eggs, pumpkin, spinach, strawberries, bananas, carrots,collard greens,a little garlic, etc..). I usually mix it with yogurt, a can of fish or ground meat, along with raw oats or rice.   One batch of mix costs about $5, takes less than an hour to make, and lasts for about 3-4 months.  It costs me roughly 30-40 per month to feed my boy (gets about 2.5 - 4 lbs a day).  This is including cod liver oil, coat supplements, kelp, flax seeds, apple cider vinegar, honey, probiotics, and other misc things. 

If anyone is interested, Natural Balance does have a raw food out now.  It is only currently available in California and Neveda. 

Jennie
Roman Reign, Work Hard, Play Happy, Eat Well

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 02:46:14 pm »
Cassie sounds like my Spotakiss.Hes 4 months old now and he doesnt seem to like breakfast.Righ t now we feed him Eukanuba.Why are they so picky I wonder?

Offline Sullivan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 04:22:06 pm »
I went to pet smart to look for some of the prior suggested brands of food.  They didn't carry any of them.  I was wondering where you guys buy the food you mentioned- solid gold, etc.?  Pet Smart does carry Iams and Eukenuba.  My vet said these were good brands b/c they do a lot of heart research for big dogs.  Does anyone know anything about those brands?  Like I said, we are currently using Nutro, and looking to change.  Thanks!

Offline Gerty

• Gnawer
  • The average dog is nicer than the average person
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 08:04:46 am »
Hi.  I feed my Saint and Bassett the BARF Diet.  They are both exceedingly healthy, and look beautiful.  I tried the kibble with my saint when she was a baby, but she slipped past the gates I had setup for my other 2 dogs, and made a beeline for their dinner bowls, which contained chicken wings at the time.  Picture this, a 2-1/2 month old saint puppy not letting go of the chicken wing she had clamped in her mouth at the time, and gobbling it up as fast as she could before I was able to get it away from her.  So, I decided to switch her over from her kibble diet a little earlier than I had originally planned on.  Now, Gertrude is almost 11 months old, and weighs in around 130 some-odd pounds.  The only time we've had to go to the vet's office is for her shots....no illnesses in this house.   

Cheryl

Gertrude and Caper's Mom