Author Topic: why are people so big dog unfriendly??  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
why are people so big dog unfriendly??
« on: June 23, 2006, 05:16:48 pm »
I am writing on behalf of a friend who is trying desperately to find housing in san diego. She has a well behaved, 6 year old rottweiler and has been repeatedly turned down by landlords because of Nikka's size and breed. I understand there are incidents with rottweiers(like any breed) but if she doesn't find housing soon she will have to go back to Colorado. Anyone have any suggestions of places to live or ways around people's stereotyping?
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

doggylover

Re: why are people so big dog unfriendly??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 05:36:37 pm »
I am writing on behalf of a friend who is trying desperately to find housing in san diego. She has a well behaved, 6 year old rottweiler and has been repeatedly turned down by landlords because of Nikka's size and breed. I understand there are incidents with rottweiers(like any breed) but if she doesn't find housing soon she will have to go back to Colorado. Anyone have any suggestions of places to live or ways around people's stereotyping?
There aren't more 'incidents' with rotts than any other breed.  In fact I think there are less, it's just that when something happens, there is more damage because they are such powerful dogs.  The top biters are (last I checked) Labs and poodles...
A few years ago, David and I had to go 2 hours each way out of town (away from work) just to find a rental, while we waited for our house.  NOBODY would rent to us.  We had to tell the landlord our dog was a Rotty/lab/mastiff, mostly lab and mastiff! Just to get a Rental!  Some insurance co's discriminate based on breed, and wont cover you if you own a devil dog.  I HATE THAT!
Look at Pookie!  Does he look evil? 
Grr...
Sorry about the tangent...Tell your friend the best of luck!

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 05:55:04 pm »
Pookie!!!  ;D
I just got off the phone with her and she is freaking. We are going to pueblo on sunday to pick up her dogs(the other is an aussie shepherd). Someone in the county has got to love rotties.
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 06:02:51 pm »
I would say just keep calling around and checking places like craigslist. I know it can be frustrating. I have to honestly say that your best bet is to find a homeowner who is renting out their house/apartment themselves, because chances are slim that a large apartment complex will rent to a rottie. Even an individual landlord will probably be hesitant to rent to a rottie. The problem is that rotties are on the banned breed list by some home owner's insurance, so no matter how much a person might like big dogs, they could loose their insurance by allowing one. I know it sucks  >:(
RIP former BPO

rickysmom1

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 06:18:02 pm »
It's a shame your friends rottie isn't a service dog. They can't deny renting to you if your disabled and need your dog to help you out. :-)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 06:51:31 pm »

Quote from: shangrila
link=topic=10866.msg134576#msg134576 date=1151107371
I would say just keep calling around and checking places like craigslist. I know it can be frustrating. I have to honestly say that your best bet is to find a homeowner who is renting out their house/apartment themselves, because chances are slim that a large apartment complex will rent to a rottie. Even an individual landlord will probably be hesitant to rent to a rottie. The problem is that rotties are on the banned breed list by some home owner's insurance, so no matter how much a person might like big dogs, they could loose their insurance by allowing one. I know it sucksĀ  >:(

we have a lead! this guy is looking for a roommate and has a 6 year old akita....he likes rotties and she won't have to go through a property mgmt. place. I'm crossing my fingers for her  ;)

Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix