Author Topic: Adopted a newfy and have questions!!  (Read 5027 times)

Offline Froodychick

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Adopted a newfy and have questions!!
« on: July 02, 2006, 06:52:40 pm »
Hi, we just adopted a 2yr old newfy!! She was basicly ignored by the former owners. She was left in an outside pen with 2 other dogs, but had little human contact. When my husband went to see her, she did not even react to her former owner (not tail wagging, no excitment, nothing.)She is very sweet. She is getting along well with our other dog, a 6yr old Collie named Odysseus(odys for short). She follows us around, and likes to be right next to one of us(sitting on our feet if possible :D)and is beginning to learn her name Penelope. My question is does anyone have any hints for housebreaking a 2yr old newfy? Is a crate the best option? Can a dog this old who has never been in a home be housebroken? She is also afraid of leases (I have no idea why.). When she sees a leash, she lays down. We have tried leaving the leash hooked on to her coller to get her used to it. She ignores it after a few minutes and gets up, but if you pick it up, she lays back down. Also I've read that newfy's don't bond well with new families, is this true? Sorry for so many question, I just want to do the best for her. I'm glad I found this board!
Odysseus-Rough Collie
Penelope-Newfoundland

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Adopted a newfy and have questions!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »
Gosh...I am afraid I can't answer most of your questions & I am sorry...I hope someone more Newf experienced will chime in soon!...Does she need to be leashed to go out to potty?...If you have a fenced area I'd leave the leash alone for now...Let her just adjust & get used to you & your home before you try leash training...If she needs to be taken out on the leash just be gentle & talk to her nicely when you have to use it...Maybe if she sees your other dog leashed & doing o.k. with it she might be more comfy?...I believe a 2 yr. old dog can be housebroken... She is still a puppy as far as giant breeds go...I would definitly crate train if she doesn't freak...If she does you'll just have to work on it by making the crate a fun place!...Throw treats in & see if she'll go after them & once she will go after a treat in the crate hide treats for her to find like under a blanket...Make it a game & when crate training always make sure there are times she can go in & not be shut in so she doesn't automatically associate the crate with being shut in & left...My Rosie had never even been in a house & loved the crate almsot immediatly...I think she felt safer there...Good luck, welcome to BPO & God Bless you & yours! :)

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 07:40:15 pm »
With the housebreaking, I'd just say be consistent.  Take her out like a puppy - when she wakes up and after she eats.  Attach a command to it like "go potty" or whatever.  You can use different or same commands for the two jobs.  Say that whenever she starts to do her business and then start to say it when you want her to do it.  You'll probably begin to see her pattern over time - just watch for clues like her looking around and sniffing, turning around in a small circle.  If you keep her very close to you these first few weeks, you'll both learn very quickly!  As for the leash, my Anatolian does that.  She actually does it because she's so excited.  Hard to know what is going on in your situation but it MIGHT be that the leash means good things, like a walk, and she's so excited that she rolls over.  If she really doesn't like the leash, with time and learning that it means good things, not bad, she may end up like my Katie and roll over with excitement.  Possibly give a treat with putting on the leash?  Good luck with her!  We need some pics!
Daphne

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 08:26:52 pm »
Welcome to the wonderful world of being owned by a Newf! 

We adopted our Landseer Newf, Barkley, at somewhere between 1 1/2 and 3 years of age.  Sadly, he's no longer with us. 

He was already housebroken, but also didn't like the leash.  We always made sure that the leash was something associated with positive stuff (WALKS! He loved them) and lots of treats. 

I will also tell you that he had absolutely no problem bonding with our family.  In fact, one time he got out of the house and my neighbour came to the door and said "thought I should tell you that your dog has been out there standing on the front lawn staring at the house for the last hour".  He could have left ... and didn't.  I believe that Newfs (all dogs really) know when they are truly wanted and loved, and in my opinion, you will never find a dog more loyal than a Newf ... but I am a bit biased.

Thank you for giving Penelope a new lease on life, and welcome to BPO!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 08:39:03 pm »
I second what BarkleysMum said!  Adopting an older Newf is a good bet.  We got our Cowboy at 18 months and he had lived pretty much in a crate.  He's been with us for 19 months and rarely leaves my side.  Try to keep Penelope (cute name!!) with you as much as possible.  They are truly people dogs and she's going to want to please you.  Treat her like a pup, like longshadowfarm s suggested.  She'll get it, but stay with her, give her lots of treats and positive reinforcement and she'll give you back buckets of love in return!  Keep us informed and I know we'll all help wherever we can!!

Thanks for taking her!!!!  My two guys send drools and hugs!!! :-*

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 08:55:33 pm »
No newfies here either...Just a big hello from the Dane Train and Baloo.  Sloppy licks for getting your girl!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 09:03:01 pm »
Welcome!  I'm so happy that Penelope is with you.  It sounds like she is in wonderful, caring hands. :)
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 11:22:08 pm »
Welcome!!  No Newfs here either, but I think regardless of the breed, positive and consistent feedback is always the way to go!  Good luck!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 10:10:30 am »
Welcome to BPO!!!  We have a 19 month old newf and a 3 yr old aussie.  Newfies are definitely a special breed that I love.

I think the most important thing with her is to keep everything positive.  Let her be around you as much as possible as they love to be with their people (it'll allow her to bond with you and your family).  She should be able to learn to go outside with patience and observation.  Try to keep her from going in the house by taking her outside frequently and she'll learn pretty quickly.  As for the leash associate it with treats, affection, and fun.  Good luck with her and I look forward to hearing more about her.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2006, 04:14:55 pm »
Welcome to BPO, you really did find a great site, one that you will discover is filled with Newfs including the creators' newf Bear.

Newflvr and Barkleysmum should put to rest your largest concern about Penelope bonding with your family. I don't believe your going to have any real problems with potty training as long as you're realistic. You will need to treat her as a puppy in this respect and all you can do is follow the advice above and be patient.
I think the bonding is the most important, for me I include Kali in everything I can, she comes with me to bid jobs, we go out of our way to frequent dog friendly businesses (difficult in CT), and we frequently go on doggy day trips the most memorable being the one at the following link. http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,10089.msg125008.html#msg125008

Quick question, where do you guys live?

Enjoy your new girl and give her hugs and drools from all of us here at BPO.

Tim and Kali

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 11:42:48 am »
I was basically going to say what has already been said. So I won't bother now!!!

Just think of your girl as a puppy, and treat her the same was as you would if you were training a pup, I know she is rather large for a pup. But if she hasn't had the training from her previous owners then she is basically a pup.

Hope you have many happy years with your new girl, give it some time and she will be perfect ;)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 04:00:05 am »
You have nothing to worry about, all penelope wants is love and lots of attention. Sitting on your feet is par for the course. All newfs love close physical contact which is as much about sitting on your feet and leaning on you as being stroked. You will soon find you are stepping over and around her and not even noticing! She should have you trained in about 4 - 6 months and you will then be ready to adopt another one.

Have fun,

Andy, Bell & Hovis
Slime flies when you're having fun!