Author Topic: Anyone want a yellow dog that likes to run?? (long story)  (Read 6849 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Anyone want a yellow dog that likes to run?? (long story)
« on: August 06, 2008, 06:30:49 pm »
I had a handyman over here earlier this afternoon fixing the siding the dogs had chewed up. I had the dogs in the workshop while he was here so he wouldn't accidentally let them out of the gate.

When he was done, he went to unplug is saw from the workroom and for some reason thought if he left the door open the dogs wouldn't run out.

WRONG!!

Kenutcky took off like a bullet so I got in the car to chase after her. Of course, to her, this is her favorite game: let Mom get close then take off running. She would even run up to the side of the car and I would open the door for her to jump in, then take off in the opposite direction.

I thought I had her at one point as she was squatting to poop in someone's yard. I got out with the slip leash, she took one look at me then took off - turds flying out behind her.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS DOG???

Then, it got scary: she ran down the street to a very busy highway, crossed the highway 3 times and was running straight at cars. She would not slow down, would not come when I called and the only thing I could do was follow her in the car, honking to make sure the cars looked to see a yellow blur in the road.

Finally, she ran off to the shoulder and seemed to be getting tired. I pulled over and was sneaking up on her. Another lady pulled over to help and, of course, Kentucky took off again, but when the lady started calling her, Kentucky finally came running.

I got her in my car and started to back up to get on the highway again and....

now I'm stuck in the mud!!

Fortunately for me there was a couple across the road waiting for a friend to come help them change a flat tire.  I asked them if they could push and see if they could help me get out of the mud. The guy said he had a friend on his way who was HUGE and he could probably do a better job.

When his friend got there, he hooked a chain up to my car and quickly pulled me loose with his truck.

I was so grateful. I asked them, “Now, what can I do for you.” They both said, “Nothing. That’s what we do every day. We serve the public.”

When I asked what they meant, they told me they both worked for the sheriff’s department and they were happy to be able to help.

Wow. Can I keep the guys and get rid of the dog? Just kidding. I did just finish a nice letter to our local sheriff letting him know what wonderful employees he had in these two guys, though.

Then I went home and took a shower...
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want a yellow dog that likes to run?? (long story)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 07:54:30 pm »
Oh, I know those days, Bo has given me several.  I'm glad those guys were so helpful and that you managed to get Kentucky back unharmed (and without killing her yourself, I assume!).
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:14:31 pm »
Glad no one was hurt, that sounded like quite the day.
Happy to hear we still have good samaritans around.  I was beginning to wonder where they all had gone.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 08:23:22 pm »
I'm so glad that both you and she survived this afternoon.  At least, I'm assuming you haven't killed her yet.   ;)  That was so nice of the officers to help.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »
Kentucky is alive and well. She's lucky she is cute and has a winning smile. It's mostly our fault for not walking her every day. At least when we move to San Antonio we will have no choice but to walk her every day. Hopefully, that will curb her escapist behavior.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

jesday

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:06:42 pm »
Makes you want to ring their furry little necks :D What a day! I read somewhere a guy in the neighborhood was known for getting run-away dogs back to their owners. His secret was he'd kneel down when calling the dog and they would come every time.

My kids don't run off too far - they're Newfs after all, but they can be a bit bratty and not come.

I tried the kneel down and it actually worked. It was more a 'What does she have? I want some.' kind of response, but hey, it worked. Of course first you have to get their attention. Kind of hard to do when there's poop flying out their behind. Sorry, but that just cracked me up. (So to speak) ;D

yellow_dog_mom

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 06:24:47 am »
Within my family we have 6 (SIX) Yellow Dogs. Insert "Libby" into your story, and you'll feel much better. I bought this pricey child from an extremely reputable breeder, but ONLY because I wanted the extended hips guarantee. So what if she came from a snooty heritage of hot shot duck hunters, right? Wrong! In her tangled yellow dog mind she's never understood that ducks fly and dogs don't. Ducks fly overhead and she runs from window to window, jumping up on a chair,LOOKING up at the ceiling, *thinking* SHE can see the ducks through the ceiling? She would run all the way to Montana if she got free! (I live in Idaho) Talk about needing Duck rehab! See pictures! But to answer your question, YES! I will take the yellow dog.."IF" you were REALLY serious ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 06:56:38 am by yellow_dog_mom »

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 01:29:38 pm »
Wow...what a day. Some parts more funny than others  ;) Rosie took off one day. She followed the kids out the door. She thought she was going with them. That dog was running around with a stupid weimaraner grin on her face like she was one of the kids("look ay me mom, the y really really like me, I am plaaaaaaaaying ....wheeeee"). Meanwhile ,everyone was trying to get her. My heart would go in my throat every time she ran across the road.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 02:16:23 pm »
ROFL!! Ok, my apologies in advance because I am so inappropriate here. Let me say first that I feel for ya - sounds like your pup really had you on the run, and I laughed out loud at the "turds flying" comment. And, I am glad that you found some nice off duty cops to help you out of the mud...BUT, the first thing I thought of was that it's a really good thing they didn't arrest you for solicitation of prostitution when you asked, "Now, what can I do for you?" BWAHAHA! OMG. I'm mental. Sorry! I just picture you winking (covered in dog hair and mud) and asking them that! ;D ;D ;D ::)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:16:44 pm by Ali »
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python