Author Topic: Large breed PUPPY question  (Read 5739 times)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Large breed PUPPY question
« on: July 04, 2006, 01:02:19 pm »
I was worried when Kuma was young ( from 7 weeks and up), and Lugan was playing really rough with her.
In case I get another pup, should I be more cautious this time.
I really hope Kuma doesn't have any hip problems because of Lugans rough housing when she was growing up. 
I am worried about Kuma. Nothing right now to worry about, but her future.
Anyways, not my point right now.
Like other new large breed puppy owners, they worry about growing, and not over excerising.

Do you understand what I am wondering about??
Shoot, I lost my self. :-\

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Large breed PUPPY question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2006, 01:38:09 pm »
It is ok to let Kuma play with the new puppy. With a large breed puppy you want to try and limit their excersize in some respects to protect their hips, but you still want to let them excersize to build up their muscles (stronger muscles around the hips helps protect them too). And plus you want to let a puppy enjoy its puppyhood!

Basically, let the pups play unless the puppy is exhibiting signs of pain (whimpering, slowing down, bunnyhopping, etc). And just use your best judgement - for instance, you don't want to let the puppy run around on hard ground, but it is ok to let the puppy run around in the grass.

RIP former BPO

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 02:17:33 pm »
I am worried because Lugan plays really rough.  He was really rough with Kuma.  Kuma I think would be more gentle with the pup.... I think... lol. ;)

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 03:21:44 pm »
If you think things are getting too rough, you just separate them and make them calm down before they are allowed together again.

My Honey used to really rough with her brother, Kitten. He was always much quieter. He had OCD/elbow dysplacia diagnoised when he was 10 months old. But the vet said it wasn't caused by Honey being rough when they were small. It is just that one of his leg bones grew quicker than the other. It is 4 months now since his operation (had both elbow joints cleaned out, and his ulna or radius in the right leg broken :o), and I have to say, he is as fit as a fiddle. He can run and jump as much as his sister now!!

If I think that either of mine are getting too excitable, or tired though I put them in different rooms for a while.
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 09:51:00 pm »
Ah...whew... thank-you all...
I was getting worried.

Now, on that happy note... gatta find me a puppy ::) :P ;) :D