Author Topic: Don't want to Over react...Pookie 'snapped'  (Read 14415 times)

doggylover

Re: Don't want to Over react...Pookie 'snapped'
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »
Just my two cents here- if I were hand-feeding and got snapped at even once, the food would b immediately put away and not brought out again until the next scheduled meal.  He would no doubt get the point very quickly if you were consistent in his actions having a quick and direct result.  I am sorry you are going through this.
How cool is this...we were posting at the same time, and I was saying to hubby right after I hit 'post', but before I saw what you suggested, that next time, the meal was being taken away and he could just be good and hungry for the rest of the day.  Nana Pookie doesn't like to be hungry.   ;)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 06:47:57 am »
I really don't have anything to add the posts before me are SO much more knowledgable, just wanted to write in and let you know that I feel for you, having a new puppy and one who is having a bit of trouble handling it is very disheartening but I hope it gets better everyday!!

Badger has such a sweet face I never realized he was a slightly difficult pup?  I haven't been able to see the new pup because all I get is a white box with a red x in it?  But I'm sure she is very adorable!!

Randy

doggylover

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 12:04:21 pm »
Randy,
:) I'll try and see if I can get a puppy pic on the avatar.  I hesitate to say Badger has issues because it isn't so much that, as that he needs a constant firm hand. 
I've had friends who had dogs who could let them up on the sofa, sleep with them in bed, feed them before eating dinner themselves...i t really doesn't seem to matter what they do or don't do for training, the dog is sort of submissive naturally.  With Badger, it's just that it takes daily reminders of who is boss.  He doesn't test us much anymore (that biting while feeding is only recent, since puppy, I mean other than that)but growing up, he would test us EVERY day.  You couldn't sit on the floor with him or he would sit on you.  You couldn't feed him first or he would get an attitude and not listen.  He couldn't be allowed to go out doors first or he would be dominant. 
He is a wonderful wonderful dog and he is never dog aggresive (he has snipped at puppy a few times now because she bites him, but he doesn't 'hurt' her).  He can be totally trusted with kids, he doesn't do anything naughty if we leave him in the house for 10 hours at a time.  But if we didn't reinforce our alpha role all the time, he would probably attack us. 
 :-\
We love our Pookie shmookie, he is just really uh...in touch with his inner wolf. 

doggylover

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 08:22:25 pm »
Badger was soooo much better today.  We did some work last night on basic commands and David spent time with him today, feeding him and making him do stuff (sit, shake, wait).  He is even being more pleasant to puppy! 
I took a little from all of your comments and wanted to thank you all, it was a comfort knowing I could come here and get help. 
 :D

doggylover

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2006, 08:30:55 pm »
I hope you are keeping a close eye on that puppy, Ronda.  She is in SERIOUS danger of being puppynapped!

:-* :-* :-*
Aunt Holly
LOLOL Holly, um I think David might just let you have her.  I've been sleeping on the couch so I can let her out every 2 hours, and David no likey that plan.   ::) :o
I'll stick her in a big fat envelope, with her head sticking out, and plop her pudgy self in the mail. 
She weighs 14 pounds!  She will be as big as Badger soon, then he'll have trouble on his hands!
 :)
Oh and btw, I LOVE when you all threaten to pup nap her, it feeds my new momma pride and makes me smile!

Offline Aner

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2006, 08:50:55 pm »
That'll be quite the postage charge though... 14 lbs   :o