Author Topic: Need advice on getting a dog...  (Read 10300 times)

Offline allien

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Need advice on getting a dog...
« on: June 08, 2005, 02:44:25 pm »
My boyfriend and I have a small shih tzu female who is 5 years old.  We are doing research and looking into getting either an Akita or Shiba Inu.  Is it true that we shouldn't get another female dog?  I've heard they can be aggressive against the same-sex dog.  Also, is it true that we should wait until after we have kids to get this breed of dog due to their protectiveness?  Any help, advice or comments you have - I would greatly appreciate it.  I want to make the right decision even if it means we have to wait a few years until after we have children.  Thanks! ;D

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on getting a dog...
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 02:54:18 pm »
Yoy have come to the right place for advice. I am no expert but from experiance Females get along fine togeather. I dont know about the breeds you are talking about though.
My advice on the kind of puppy to get. ;) A St. Bernard is great with everyone. If you have kids already or if you are going to have kids. Go look at some info. on them. You will be inpressed/
Good Luck!!!! Keep us posted.
Coonie
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 03:20:39 pm »
We were interested in getting an Akita at one time, and then a big lump of drool came into our life and we have never looked back. We were told that each dog will have its own personality, but in general akitas should be kept with the opposite sex when concerning another dog. I'm sure that the akita owners here will have more input for you.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 03:48:04 pm »
I am no expert here, but I do know that in general Akita's do tend to be quite strong-willed and assertive dogs and you may find that if you already have a female dog, a male fits into the household better.  

Shiba's, despite their smaller body, have the same large personallity.  In my own personal experience, Shiba's have tended to be some of the most stubborn dogs I have ever met.  (Not saying this is a bad thing, just something to note.  And it wouldn't mean that they aren't good with kids...  Heck, some people think drool is a bad thing - I just am not one of them!)   ;D

« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 03:50:01 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 04:09:45 pm »
I dont have any personal experience with these two breeds either. But the kid/dog issue I have had a bit of. We had dogs when first child came, we got more dogs after first child had arrived. We got more children and more dogs and hehe every way has been good. I have never had any problems with the dogs accepting a new baby or a baby accepting a new dog.

I believe that it is pretty much what you make of it. Good Luck and let us know what you decide, gosh....... I admire your patience though, wait a few years to get another dog.  ::)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline rpeeples

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Peeples' Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 09:06:50 pm »
In general Akitas do much better in opposite sex pairings.  Shibas are a bit less consistent but some of them are best in opposite sex pairing as well.  As to children -- ANY dog can be a danger to children.  Some Akitas are fabulous with kids and others are not.  Shibas tend to be more terrier in temperament and can be very yappy and resistant to handling by children.  If you do decide to go with an Akita I would insist upon a breeder that has children OR that has socialized their dogs with children. 

Rachel Peeples, DVM
Heart of Dixie Akita Rescue
hodakitas.org

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 09:38:45 am »
We had an Akita for 13 years and four kids.  He was fabulous with OUR children...act ually helped the youngest to walk at 9 months! and was great about keeping an eye on them for me.

There's a really big "BUT" in here.  They are frightening with those that they don't know.  When my kids had friends over, Teddy would want to attack if he thought "his" kids were in any danger.  "Danger" meaning playing soccer, normal wrestling, basketball.  ANY kind of sport or game where the kids would be knocking each other around.  We ended up having to keep him tied up when the kids had playdates.  It was an awful life for him and I hated to do it.  He tried to attack the meter reader, friends coming to the front door.  He also killed any smaller animal (cats, skunks...very special!) that came his way.  He had been through all the obedience training and was fairly mellow until he hit about age 5 years.  Please REALLY think before you get one to be around children.  Remember that their original purpose was to hunt bears and wolves...NOT a house dog!  Teddy is the reason I now have Newfoundlands - the exact opposite in temperment to the Akita! 

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 01:10:51 pm »
My sister has a female shih-tzu that is petrified of my great dane,Oreo. I don't really think it is a large dog/small dog thing as much as that she was never really socialized with other dogs. She was the queen of the house. So most of the time she hides under tables to avoid Oreo. Other times, she will try to pick a fight. Once she even took a flying leap off the bed to attack Oreo. And, of course, he ran to the other end of the house.

Dogs have a natural way of figuring out the leader of the pack. As long as you and/or your boyfriend hold that role, you should have no problem with additional dogs or children. If your shih-tzu rules the house... well, I can't help you there.

Jason

Luvmydanes

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 03:52:21 pm »
Jason - I want to see more pictures of Oreo...he looks so handsome! Here is Dane as a pup...those were the days. lol

Kandi

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 10:19:38 am »
If I may offer my late 2 cents ... We have both an akita and a shiba inu. IMHO, you should pair akitas with opposite gender, although I have heard of two females akitas being together (they were a mother/daughter pairing, which may have played a role in their getting along). Nevertheless, I would take a lot of care bringing an akita, even a puppy, into your household. Akitas' temperament leanings are toward dominant, high-prey drive, spirited ... if you select a dog with instincts strong in these traits, you may have problems down the road between the dogs (keep in mind, a petite shih tzu may look like prey to a big akita). I'm not saying they won't get along - they may be the best of friends. But you need to know how you should react when you see them fighting one day and the 100 lb. akita has your other little guy in a neck hold. My 30 lb male shiba reigns over our female akita - for now. But it's his "big dog" personality that has the akita fooled. Your best bet is to talk to lots of *reputable* breeders and contact a local akita club for advice.
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline ReesKujo

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 12:05:10 pm »
I have owned Akita's for many years.Some have done well with other dogs of the same sex but I would have to say it was very few.Most of the Akita's I've had incuding the one I have now are same sex aggressive.As for children,mine have always done great with the family children but had little to no tolerance for children outside the family,especially smaller children.Also in general,Akita's will not tolerate any teasing from children.They may tolerate it more from the children in their family but not for long.I never leave my Akita unsupervised with my grandchildren as good as he is with them as I've seen them turn on their own family children when teased.My best advice would be to thoroughly research the breed and find out all you can.Akita's are not a breed for the light hearted or for some one who doesn't have the means to establish the Alpha role and dominance over the dog immedietly.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:37:54 pm »
even though this is a way old post, i do have to agree with reeskujo.  axle is GREAT with our kids, but will not put up with ANYone at the fence.  i am the only one who can walk up to our fence and not get an awesome display of power.  the dogs even act this way with brandon, although it's not a threat, more of a, "hey it's dad lets push him around."  god help whoever walks up there without either of us!  as for kids in general who aren't teasing him, axle is great with ALL kids, and ALL dogs male and female big and small, given that dogs don't get in his face.  we really lucked out with axle's temperament, but we also did socialization every day, and also obedience classes, and axle went everywhere.  he even got to go to the mall back home one christmas ;)  i also have to totally agree with the idea that akitas are not for the lighthearted owner.  it takes a very dedicated owner to raise a well rounded akita, due to the fact of their size they WILL push anyone around who lets them until they learn who's boss in the relationship, but oh when you get one and raise it well!  they make the best all around dogs!  they're so loyal and will do anything to protect you, and make the best snugglers!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline akita_luv

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 12:38:41 pm »
when i got my akita we already had a male dog and my akita is male and i have had no problems also my father-in-law and sister-in-laws dogs are males and come to play all the time with out problems. and as far as kids we had to kids already when we got him and i was pregnant with our third and he took right to baby once he was born. ;D
thank you Brandy
love your big paws and they will be loyal to you!