Author Topic: Double coats and shaving  (Read 12476 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Double coats and shaving
« on: July 14, 2006, 08:43:48 am »
The other night I was watching the dog show on Animal Planet.  One of the judges was talking about double-coated dogs and why you shouldn't shave them because the outer coat of hair helps them regulate their temperature. 

I've kept Einstein shaved since early Spring, but lately I'm noticing he pants a LOT, even in the house (I keep it at about 78 degrees during the day).

Has anyone ever heard of any research done about this?  Should I let his coat grow out so he can stay cooler?

Sarah

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Double coats and shaving
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 09:38:17 am »
You are going to get alot of different opinions on this one. I personally don't shave, neither of my dogs have long fur, but both of them have a double coat. Hutch is a smooth Saint, so really it would be silly to shave him, but Abbey on the other hand has the thickest coat ever. My personal reasons for not shaving is that if a coat can insulate from cold, then it can insulate from the heat as well. I don't want my dogs to get sunburns, and we have alot of flies where we live, and there coats protect them from these as well. There are a couple of websites that you can check out that are about clipping double coated dogs that I found

http://www.sibesrescue.com/tip-shave.asp

www.ccndr.org/library/shaving.htm

http://beardie.net/hobo/advice/summerclip.htm

Alot of people say that their dogs seem happier when they clip them, maybe they are, maybe they enjoy the feeling of a lighter coat, but that doesn't necessarily mean a cooler coat. When Abbey was spayed all of 2 and a half years ago, you can still see to this day where the vet had to shave her, it never grew back in properly. I do know that it is rare that it won't come back in properly, but it can happen. I think that it is a personal decision. We all know our dogs best and do what we think will benefit them the most, and that is what is most important.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 10:08:41 am »
I asked the same question of Cowboy's breeder and she said shaving is a no-no.  It does help protect them from the heat, insects, sun (sunburn!), and cold.  Cowboy's belly has been shaved several times for ultra-sounds :(, and the fur has grown back much coarser and not at all like the texture on the rest of him.

That said, I think you have to do what you think is best.  I keep the Newfers cool by giving them ice frequently during the day, keep them in the house during the hottest times and hose them off if they seem too hot.

Can't WAIT until fall!!!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 11:29:18 am »
Their coat is made to protect them from the sun and bugs. It also helps regulate the body temperature. I personally don't shave Kiah. She does pant a lot in the summer. Just make sure the dog has plenty of water and shade.

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 12:39:01 pm »
Their coat is made to protect them from the sun and bugs. It also helps regulate the body temperature. I personally don't shave Kiah. She does pant a lot in the summer. Just make sure the dog has plenty of water and shade.

The panting is what made me question the shaving thing -- even shaved, he's panting a lot.  Another reason to have thick-furry dogs above the Mason-Dixon line, I guess.

Sarah

SA_horses

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 02:09:19 pm »
My two cents:

Shaving is a big no-no except when necessary medically, and that is not normally the whole-body either.

However, clipping is a different matter entirely, and I think that is what most of you are referring to.  There are varied opinions on this issue.

I like this article: http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/hairlength.htm
It has a good explanation of how clipping affects a dog's ability to tolerate heat.

Sofia

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 03:10:44 pm »
I've heard that double-coated dogs should not be shaved. Zoey is not shaved nor do I plan on ever shaving her. Her fur is meant to protect her from the snow and heat. That's the way her fur was made. But Dolly is long-haired and is fairing much better now that she has been shaved for the summer than she did before. I would say, just in my opinion, if the dog has long, bushy hair like on Australian Shepherds, Old English Sheepdogs, etc. I think it is best to shave them for summer. But dogs with insulating fur like Huskies, Malamutes, etc. should not be shaved. That's all my opinion only though.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 10:23:01 pm »
I would not shave Samson & Pippin...I wouldn't even clip them much because Jackie (Pippin's breeder) threatened me bodily harm if I did. :-\ :D

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 06:13:48 am »
Oh... I would never shave my two...  Zero is a desert dog and well he is thick coated... it blows in the summer but he is still thick coated... and chara is beyond thick coated... the fur is there for a reason IMO.. panting is a sign that your dog is regulating his body temperature... it is when he is non responsive, distressed and looks lethargic that over heating is an issue...
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

GR8DAME

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2006, 06:46:24 am »
No opinion here, as all my dogs are hairless compaired to yours, but I can't resist so a quick apology to smsmith for the thread hijack.
Babs, I LOVE your avatar!!!!!!

We now return you to your regular programming... .
Stella