Author Topic: Any raw feeders on BPO??  (Read 30145 times)

Offline RottiMommyAL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Any raw feeders on BPO??
« on: June 08, 2005, 06:09:47 pm »
 :D
Being new to the diet (not BARF) and new to BPO, I thought I would give a shout out to any other raw feeders!
Hi Ya'll!
What raw sites do you go to?
I like the yahoo group discussion board Raw Feeding.
Anyone else??
Change your pets life.  Feed RAW!

Offline RottiMommyAL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Any raw feeders on BPO??
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 03:15:44 pm »
Wow, sure is quiet in here.
Hello?oooooooooooo? :D

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 04:22:58 pm »
I believe there are other RAW feeders on BPO...Or maybe BARF feeders...I get the two mixed up...What is the difference?..Will you tell me?

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 04:39:06 pm »
Just Love your avatar rottimommy :)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 04:41:04 pm »
I tried raw for a few months but my dogs had other health issues and couldn't handle the raw food.  They both had to have antibiotics to take care of the intestinal problems they got from food.  I buy raw food with out bone and cook it for my big boy and that seems to working out fine.

Offline imogen

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 05:15:09 pm »
Hi There!

I feed raw... well, mostly... kinda.
I have a Greyhound which are notorious for being finicky eaters.
I began feeding cooked meat and veg with kibble and cooked pasta or rice because thats what he had been previously fed (he's an adopted ex-racer) but heard that cooked meat wasn't AS GOOD as raw. I'd been feeding him all of his bones raw and chicken necks raw for breakfast so then it was only a matter of slowly introducing him to the new diet so his tummy didn't get upset.

NOW I feed him:   
Two raw chicken necks and a cup of high quality kibble for breakfast and  to keep him going during the day. (2 bits of toast on the weekends as a treat!)
For dinner he gets raw mince meat (chicken, lamb, kangaroo or beef), a teaspoon of cod liver oil for his coat, a cup of kibble and a cup of cooked chopped veggies. No pasta or rice.
After dinner he gets a raw bone to chew until bed time (usually a rib)

He does get other bits and pieces as treats but these are VERY minimal.
Sultanas
Nuts
Raw egg
Whatever I'm eating basically!

Things I avoid like the plague:
Cooked egg
Cooked bones
Chocolate
Too much fat
Milk (though, sometimes he steals a lick of coffee or milk if I leave a glass unattended! Rrrr!)

He's pretty good and won't eat anything he finds on walks OR eat any poo, which I hear some dogs do!

Thats about it.
He's a very spoilt boy.
Imogen

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2005, 09:33:38 am »
B.A.R.F. has stood for Bones and raw food. Though there are a lot of people who are calling it "Biologically Appropriate Raw Food " now. So a raw diet and barf diet are the same thing.
The diet generally means you do not feed commercial dog food. No kibble, no canned.  Raw bone, raw meat make up the bulk of the diet and it's suplimented with ground veggies.
As you can see by Imogens post though there is a full spectrum between totally raw and totally commercial. There are people on both sides that say it HAS to be all of one, none of the other but I think (as does Imogen) that whatever works for you and your dog is right.
Finns breeder will void his health contract if he is fed any barf foods. But when I get another IW I will use a breeder without the restriction and probably use a combo of both raw and kibble. At the time that I got Finn I had never heard of the barf diet so I didn't care that I couldn't feed it to him. Now I would not buy from a breeder who decided for me what I could feed my dog. (but I have a few other issues with said breeder as well)

Vicki

Offline RottiMommyAL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 04:35:16 pm »
Raw feeding is a species appropriate diet.  Where the dogs digestive system is working to it's fullest potential therefore their other systems (circulatory, immune, nervous.....) are working to their fullest potential.  A chemically processed diet of kibble is un-natural.  The high quanity of carbs and fillers could be harmful.  What could be more natural then a raw diet?  Right?
When the meat is cooked it loses some of the benefical components.  When bones are cooked they become brittle and splinter.
Canids do not need vegetables in their diets.  If greens are needed we all have nice big yards for them to chow on.
The thinking is how a dog in the wild would eat.  Yes, our dogs are domesticated but their digestive systems have not changed with their domestication.
It took me several months to get over the kibble/raw myths.  I am amazed by the results.  I am so thankful for the internet.
I was hoping there were more raw feeders on the boards, seeing we all have big dogs.
I was paying over $100 every 3 weeks on kibble.  Now I spend about $80 a month on raw meat, bones and organs.
It did take the dogs a while to get used to their new diets.  There were your normal trials and tribulations but we prevailed.

I highly recommend to anyone who is interested:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rawfeeding/
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/

The best is to give great big chunks of meat/meaty bones/healthy organs where the dog has to work at eating.  The dog not only has to work at eating it but it exhausts them mentally to try and figure out how to eat it, ie: where to hold it, where to bite it...ect.

Sorry if I rambled.  We started raw feeding 3 months ago and I am so happy with the results of this diet I just want to share it with everyone.
(and maybe even convert a few :P)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 10:00:48 am »
I think I am making the switch to raw. I'm not sure how long it will take, but I am really excited about it. I absolutely love going to the store and buying meaty bones for my dogs! And they really do have to work to eat, and honestly I have never seen Zoot so happy as he is when he's finished eating a meaty bone. He just sits there smiling, I mean a big huge ridiculous doggie grin, like he is fully satiated. After he eats a bowl of kibble all he does is look around the kitchen for more food. But the bones wear him out and make him so happy.

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2005, 11:09:13 am »
I have always fed raw whenever I can.  I mix all sorts of people food along with dry food but I think they like raw best.  We are lucky in that we have a butcher close to us that actually still cuts meat for you.  (his steaks are to die for). Anyway for his good customers, he keeps big beef bones in packets and gives them away for the dogs. I am a big hit when I bring these home.  Niki has a special spot under the tree that she can chew for hours and smile as she goes.

I know that there are a lot of people who spend a great deal of money one particular brand and they will probably throw rocks at me or at least look down their noses.  I buy inexpensive dog food and add to each meal a variety of leftovers as well as different flavors of canned food. I know there are a lot of horrible meat parts and more in inexpensive food but a wild dog eats pretty disgusting stuff too including rotting flesh.   I have watched their reactions to food for many years and am convinced that they, like us, like a variety in their diet. Yes, while watching them, I see they get their greens by occasiionally chewing on grass, then spitting it up.  I do feed raw whenever I can - this is what their stomachs were made for.   I have to say that I feed just like Imogen except for one particular difference.  KANGAROO - wow my dog would love it if I could get it. 
I ate it once in a restaurant - tastes like beef, not chicken.
Peggy
Peggy

Offline RJWALLICK

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 05:20:34 pm »
I have always fed raw whenever I can.  I mix all sorts of people food along with dry food but I think they like raw best.  We are lucky in that we have a butcher close to us that actually still cuts meat for you.  (his steaks are to die for). Anyway for his good customers, he keeps big beef bones in packets and gives them away for the dogs. I am a big hit when I bring these home.  Niki has a special spot under the tree that she can chew for hours and smile as she goes.

I know that there are a lot of people who spend a great deal of money one particular brand and they will probably throw rocks at me or at least look down their noses.  I buy inexpensive dog food and add to each meal a variety of leftovers as well as different flavors of canned food. I know there are a lot of horrible meat parts and more in inexpensive food but a wild dog eats pretty disgusting stuff too including rotting flesh.   I have watched their reactions to food for many years and am convinced that they, like us, like a variety in their diet. Yes, while watching them, I see they get their greens by occasiionally chewing on grass, then spitting it up.  I do feed raw whenever I can - this is what their stomachs were made for.   I have to say that I feed just like Imogen except for one particular difference.  KANGAROO - wow my dog would love it if I could get it.  
I ate it once in a restaurant - tastes like beef, not chicken.
Peggy

BabsT

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2005, 06:19:56 pm »
Raw feeder here...no veggies just raw meaty bones and organ meat...I will never feed kibble...My guy has been on it since 12 weeks and is now almost 8 months old...

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 08:16:19 pm »
Benefits of Raw Diet

Here are some great benefits of a raw, natural diet:

White teeth, fresh breath
Poop Patrol
Yard Stains
Hot Spots
Water Consumption
Doggie Gas
Bloat Prevention? Possibly.
Great Health

White, white teeth and no more doggie breath

Here is one source of bacteria you should worry about-the ones that make their home in the tartar on your dogs teeth that is caused by soluble carbohydrates in a kibble diet. These bacteria and the toxins they produce, can spread throughout the body, invading organs, specifically the heart and kidneys. BARF fed pets have beautiful teeth and breath possibly due to the enzymes in raw food and/or the lack of carbohydrates in the diet. Many people believe it is the chewing action that produces white teeth, but you can get this same benefit when feeding your pet raw meaty bones that have been ground.

Since raw fed dogs do not have tartar, they are not plagued with these bacteria and toxins. And, dogs that were previously fed a kibble diet, can have clean, white teeth sometimes in as little as 2-4 weeks! (This is an observation from people, on the e-lists I belong to, that have taken in rescue dogs and switched them to a raw diet.) I may never have to take Roxy in for a teeth cleaning!

Warning

If your dog suddenly develops bad breath be sure to check the dog's mouth to determine whether a bone has been lodged between his/her teeth. If not, a blood test may be in order to determine if there are any kidney malfunctions. Bad breath is one of the outward signs of kidney or heart disease.

Poop patrol becomes an adventure!

This subject comes up frequently. A dog on a raw diet has fewer and smaller stools. It also has very little smell. Within a few hours, in most cases, the stool will turn white and eventually turn to powder (if you leave it there!) The whiteness is from excess natural calcium. What isn't needed is simply flushed out. Smaller stools indicate the dog is using the food efficiently.

Stools are a good indication of what is going on in your dogs' body. If it's too soft-add more raw meaty bones. Too hard-add more veggies. Most BARFers watch for undigested material in order to determine if probiotics should be added to the diet. When too much vitamin C has been given, diarrhea occurs. Just back off slowly until the stool becomes firm again. The dog itself seems to know best.

Stools are harder which helps the anal glands express as they should. I should never have to take Roxy to the vet to have her anal glands expressed! I am very grateful for that one!

Yard stains

Raw fed dogs produce fewer yard stains. A dog being fed a poor quality kibble can have highly concentrated urine that burns the lawn. My yard has some, but not near the amount that my kibble fed (previous) dogs produced. Adding alfalfa to the dog's diet may decrease yard stains even further.

Hot spots

If your dog suffers from hot spots, a raw diet may be the answer. It may be best to eliminate the hot spots by proper nutrition, rather than pouring on (or in) more medications.

Water consumption

This is not really a benefit, but I just wanted to mention that a raw fed dog does not consume much water! The dog is provided with so much moisture via the raw diet, the need to drink copious amounts of water is eliminated. My kibble fed dogs had an almost unquenchable thirst and drank a lot of water. Roxy drinks approximately one cup of filtered water per day.

Doggie gas (the quickest way to clear a room!)

The odorous gas that some dogs have may be caused by a digestive system that is not functioning properly. When starting your dog on a raw diet, the gas problem can escalate to the point that you want to give up! But, when the flora of the intestines adjusts to the new diet, it virtually goes away. Roxy can be stinky occasionally, but not very often.

Bloat Prevention? Possibly! Bloat seems to be less common in raw fed dogs. Please read up on PREVENTION OF BLOAT AND TORSION IN DOGS. Also, here's some extensive information on bloat: Purdue University

Great Health

I did not save this one for the end because it is less important or not proven. It is the most important, but only proven by us that feed a raw diet. We see the difference but don't have scientific evidence to prove it. Food trials have not been performed because there is no (monetary) benefit in it for anyone. If dog food companies were to provide the food trials, it would result in lower sales for their product. If veterinarians were to provide the food trials, it would result in fewer sick dogs and less money for the doctor. So, for this reason, most will not even suggest you feed your pet a healthy, natural, raw diet.

Those of us that feed a raw, natural diet could not possibly put dogs through a trial of our own. This would mean that we would have to feed some dogs a very poor diet and we would not want to put ANY dog through that!

Dog food companies have gone to great lengths to convince humans that it is right to feed our dogs a food that consists of cooked cereal and rendered meat meals. We, ourselves, are told to eat many raw fruits and vegetables every day. Raw being the key to good health because vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and enzymes are present in their natural form. Why would it be different for our dogs? Their bodies were designed to eat and thrive on raw food. Cereal and cooking have no place in a dog's diet.

SOURCE: http://www.4loveofdog.com/benefits.htm
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 02:26:37 pm »
I am just starting to feed raw...actually making the switch this week.  So we will see how it goes.  Iam excited to get the dogs off the kibble.  I am soon getting a Dane pup who is 3rd generation raw fed.  So I am getting the Poms and the cats started so we will all be on the same page as the new pup.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 10:46:09 am »

I feed raw to my dogs and have been for over 4 years now. One of my breeds is the Bernese Mtn. Dog and every Berner owner I know feeds raw given the significant health issues in this breed. My favorite aspect of this diet is being in the park every night, and my dogs, the biggest dogs, poop these little cocker spaniel size poops while all of the processed kibble dogs are pooping gigantic poops of waste - it is one of my best testaments to digestability and optimal benefit of live enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and minerals.

It may be useful for some to think about digestability - it is in this order from most digestible to least digestible:  !) raw fresh food  2) lightly cooked fresh food 3) cooked or frozen food 4) processed food - although extruded and baked makes a slight difference.

There are no clinical studies that show dogs live LONGER - there is abundant evidence however that their quality of life is better.  I have seen firsthand dogs completely turned around once given fresh raw food from a lifetime of processed food.

Much has already been said so I wont repeat it - except that dogs are not people and have significantly shorter digestive tracts - they are not nearly as susceptible to bacteria growths as humans. Mine eat dirt, lick their butts, and drink dirty water with no issue for a reason.  I could never do that and not get sick.  With that said, it doesn't mean a dog cant get a bacterial overgrowth or the like.  Bad meat, something else they ate, or actually most bacteria overgrowth cases I have seen have been kibble fed dogs.  Kibble has a lot of bacteria in it too, and depending on how long that bag has been sitting on the shelf before you bought it or how well you seal the bag every day, has a lot to do with freshness there too.

Last thing - your doctor, if you go to one, is telling you to eat more fresh raw fruits and vegetables for optimal health - that is for enzymes, amino acids etc - because only fresh raw food is in tact and live and can provide optimal nutrition. Same goes for dogs and cats (and every living species actually) - just that they are carnoviores and require animal protein.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar