Author Topic: Any raw feeders on BPO??  (Read 30529 times)

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Any raw feeders on BPO??
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2005, 10:26:46 am »
Thanks Sofia, I will try that. I just wanted to say your daughter is so cute and looks to be the same age as my daughter who is about to 15 months on the 19th of Nov. I am so interested in.

My sister.  :)  Good Hope is my mother (Deena).  I (Sofia) am the oldest daughter in the family.  Sorry about that.

Sofia

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2005, 11:00:20 am »
Thanks Sofia, I will try that. I just wanted to say your daughter is so cute and looks to be the same age as my daughter who is about to 15 months on the 19th of Nov. I am so interested in.

My sister.  :)  Good Hope is my mother (Deena).  I (Sofia) am the oldest daughter in the family.  Sorry about that.

Sofia

I'm sorry but i think you just really confussed me.

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2005, 11:50:47 am »
yes, there are many groups on raw feeding out there.   did join a few of them.  not a member now.  seems like alot of the groups didnt like the typical newbie questions and would not respond or became a little sarcastic.  one group i joined several of the members didnt allow the mention of kibble and would literally call new members out on bringing up the subject.  i didnt like that so i not a member now.  i did research on my own, read books, etc.  as far a prey model feeding-i just cant bring myself to toss a rabbit to hugo and let him rip it up like a wolf-sorry.  but that's not to say that wouldnt be a great way to feed your dogs-i just havent the heart or the stomach.  if i can be of any help or if you have ques for me, just feel free to post or pm me :)   
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2005, 12:49:47 pm »
After talking to my husband and letting him know all the benefits that I have found so far he has agreed to try it. Now I have to find out where to start. We are also switch our cats to a raw diet as well. I am interested in seeing the difference. We have an eplepitic (sp) 9 year old bealge who is now having problems with his thyrod (sp) and our lab has constant runs, although it is not as bad sense I started giving yogart and cottage cheese a few months ago. I have also interested my mom who has 3 dogs also.

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2005, 02:09:03 pm »
it is said that alot of diseases in dogs and cats can be attributed to their diet and with feeding raw, you may be able to cure them.  i am curious as well to see your results.  you need to be patient though because there may be a period of adjustment which their body will detox from the dog food.  within the first few days/weeks there may be loose stools and vomitting.  you can read more when you do your internet research.  just wanted to tell you this can happen so you will be prepared.  hugo didnt really have alot of problems adjusting.  again each dog will vary from the next.  you will notice right away though coat condition, breath/teeth, less water intake, smaller stools. 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2005, 01:50:48 pm »
Hi There!  I'm really new to raw feeding - have been contemplating the idea for the past 5 or 6 months (even before the arrival of my Leo puppy).  I was wondering if someone had a tip on how much to feed.  I know this is a "go by how your dog looks and feels" type thing - but in general, I've seen so many differing guidelines.  Some say 10% for puppies (is 5 months still a puppy?) until the amt. your feeding equals 2-3% of the ideal adult weight, I've seen 3-4% of the ideal adult weight, and then 2-4% of the current weight?!!?   :-[ :-\ 

Any rules of thumb for me?  Also, I've been feeding mostly chicken quarters, chicken necks, some wings (but wing size freaks me out) and Omas pre mixed (veg, meat, organ & bone).  Bogard is doing really well and going to town, but I need to add some variety to the chicken.  Are chicken backs the best thing to add?  And you give them whole, right?  (Still conceptually seems crazy....but he's LOVING eating for the first time in his little puppy life!) 

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2005, 09:14:46 pm »
Hi There!  I'm really new to raw feeding - have been contemplating the idea for the past 5 or 6 months (even before the arrival of my Leo puppy).  I was wondering if someone had a tip on how much to feed.  I know this is a "go by how your dog looks and feels" type thing - but in general, I've seen so many differing guidelines.  Some say 10% for puppies (is 5 months still a puppy? 5 months is still very much a puppy.  large breeds will be considered a puppy til they are at least 2.) until the amt. your feeding equals 2-3% of the ideal adult weight, I've seen 3-4% of the ideal adult weight, and then 2-4% of the current weight?!!?   :-[ :-\  puppies grow very fast and depending on his activity level, you will have to readjust his feeding amount pretty often.  not sure where to tell you to start.  i would do a meat mostly diet and base everything else on that.  weigh him then i would start no less than 5% of that, mostly being meat.  just my opinion.  you can adjust depending on how hungry he seems and if he is steadily growing.  always be ready to provide more if you think he looks a little "lean" or feed a little less if he starts to get a pot belly.  not sure with leos but giant schn dont need to carry around a big pot belly.  it is better to keep them trim looking  (not skinny but certainly not with a big belly). 

Any rules of thumb for me?  Also, I've been feeding mostly chicken quarters, chicken necks, some wings (but wing size freaks me out) and Omas pre mixed (veg, meat, organ & bone).  Bogard is doing really well and going to town, but I need to add some variety to the chicken.  Are chicken backs the best thing to add?  And you give them whole, right?  (Still conceptually seems crazy....but he's LOVING eating for the first time in his little puppy life!)  chiccken is always a good place to start.  after chicken you can add beef, pork, tuna and other fish, deer, turkey, eggs, duck, lamb basically any kind of meat AND bone.  chicken backs are fine, wings are great,as he gets older you might want to try thigh quarters (which as fairly big and a little intimidating for pups)  necks would be a good thing to give for snacks because of their small size or as training treats.  you can also give hearts and gizzards, and a couple of times a week liver, but my dogs dont like liver.  basically just experiment.  i am not familiar with omas, but chances are is is not cheap and you may find you can make your own "recipe" that will suit your dog and make it more affordable.  dogs really dont need grain but i feed it because they sometimes need a bulk item.  as a filler.  they just like to taste it :)   oh, you can also give cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt.  dont forget you can give green tripe (which i havent-ewwww-sorry) but some people swear by it.   

~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2005, 03:21:07 pm »
Thanks Shellie!  The Oma's is expensive, but I thought I'd try it to start as I having a hard time watching Bogard swallow down whole chicken wings, and when I hold them to try to slow him down he breaks them in 2 and gulps the bone shards....whic h makes me a little nervous about poking his insides or possible trouble passing them.  But from what I've read, the bones (and actually breaking down and eating the bones) is a huge part of the BARF diet. 

So I tried quarters thinking he'd chew slower and he bites off the knobs at the end of the thigh bone and swallows those whole!!  They just look big for him to digest.....but that is normal, right??!?  :-\

The crazy thing is this whole raw switch isn't about Bogard (he loves the food and is sooo much happier eating) it's about my issues with the new foods.

Thanks for the "how much" info too - that is about what I've been giving him.  I want to keep him lean and a bit skinny while he's in his growth period.  He's almost 5 months and only about 45lbs. 

Mandy & Bogard

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2005, 10:20:34 pm »
I think he will slow down once he gets use to being fed raw regularly. 

Offline bogardgirl

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2005, 10:39:02 pm »
I think he will slow down once he gets use to being fed raw regularly. 

I think you're right....I've just never seen him so excited about food (I had trouble keeping 3 cups of kibble/day in him as a pup - he never wanted to eat) and now he's at it with gusto!  cute & scary. 

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2005, 10:07:53 am »
Last night we feed our dogs their 1st raw meal and they loved it. My Beagle looked at us like we had lost our minds at first (like,is this some kind of trick or something). They really enjoyed. My cats on the other hand stasrted this morning aren't to happy. I'm sure they will get over it. I was so excited that I even took pictures, I would post them but I don't want to gross and one out.
Jenn

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2005, 01:41:41 pm »
well good for you!!!  Your dogs will be so appy and you will see a difference in their weight and coats.  My female pom was chunky before we started feeding BARF.  within like 2 weeks Irie actually had a waist line.  My male poms coat which use to be course is now really soft.  They have pretty white teeth and not bad dog breath anymore.  It has really worked for us.  There is a period of detox - I thin my poms - it took about 2 weeks.  They were listless and had the runs for a bit.  But I knew this was happening and i worried but I kep it up.  Now they are doing great.  You will also work out a routine also.  I made such a huge mess at 1st but now it takes me like 10 minutes in the am to juices veggies and add supplements.  At night they just raw meaty bones (what ever is on sale).  I also fast my dogs 1 day a week.  My vet says that it helps them purge the bones they have eaten.  On those days they get lots of water and a regular bone to knaw on.  Anyway, it is worth it.
Timmie

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2005, 08:09:02 pm »
it really is worth it!  SO GLAD TO HEAR YOU GUYS MADE THE LEAP!!!! LOL!  actually doing it for the first time is the tuff part!  after you see the difference, you will not look back!  as far as the "bone shards" go, at first it does seem scary.  afterall we all have been programmed to think that bones are bad for dogs! think of it this way, how many times has your dog inhaled his kibble only to choke on a few peices and "hoik" (cough) it back out.  feeding raw, hugo has never gotten strangled on the bones. 

mandy you mentioned something about the leg quarters looking too large to digest?  the raw meat, no matter how big is way more digestable than the tiniest of kibble pieces.  while it looks large, it will be fine.  and yes they do eventually slow down when eating.  try feeding him more often thruout the day.  maybe he gets too hungry and that added to the excitement of getting to eat chicken may make him swallow whole.  you can always hold the leg and teach him to eat it "easy".  this would be a good way to train him to take things form your hands and fingers in a gentle manner and not take the hide off of YOUR bones! 

Timmie, you are right about dogs getting a waistline!  seems like the raw diet trims them up to the proper size.  i think kibble bloats the dogs and makes them gain "fat weight".  the raw diet puts on muscle instead of fat.
~SHELLIE & HUGO~