Author Topic: Einstein's cure for barking (& other undesirable behavior)  (Read 3172 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
Einstein's cure for barking (& other undesirable behavior)
« on: July 14, 2006, 08:54:13 am »
For several weeks, Einstein had sporadically started barking in the middle of the night (usually just about the time I had drifted off again).  Finally, it occurred to me one night about 2 am, that he HATES water!  I went to the kitchen, grabbed a measuring cup and filled it up.  I went to the front door (where he stands guard against the cats parading by at all hours) -- told him to stop barking (which he ignored) -- then tossed the water on him.  HE WAS SURPRISED!  He tried shaking it off -- then became very submissive. 

Best of all -- he didn't bark anymore that night.  Or the next night.  I was beginning to think I'd taken all the spunk out of him, but occasionally he'll start barking at odd things happening in the neighborhood.  When I tell him to stop, HE STOPS.  I keep the measuring cup on the front porch -- couple of times I've had to grab it to remind him. 

It also works when he's out in the front yard and I'm ready for him to come in the house.  If he balks, all I have to do is show him the measuring cup and he comes running.

I wouldn't ordinarily have resorted to threats, but that bark of his would wake the dead -- specially  when it's completely quiet in the house.  I don't want to reinforce his fear of water either, but I haven't had to actually get water on him again. 

His new attitude toward discipline has greatly improved my life -- and consequently his.  He even moves when I'm trying to get in and out the door. 

I wonder if could start marketing water as a miracle cure for recalcitrant dogs.  :)
Sarah

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Einstein's cure for barking (& other undesirable behavior)
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 09:23:27 am »
Wow... thanks for sharing... I am going to have to test that out on a few dogs I know... I'll get back to you on how it goes!

Then I can give my testimonial on how well your miracle sure works!!! ;) :D

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 09:42:17 am »
I have to say that I keep a water pistol fully loaded in my house.  It only took one time of squirting Kaila to stop her unwanted behavior.  Usually you just have to bump the water gun and then the manners are immediately remembered.  You are looking at it the wrong way when you are thinking of it as a threat.  I look at it as the two minute warning bell. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 09:44:52 am »
I have to say that I keep a water pistol fully loaded in my house.  It only took one time of squirting Kaila to stop her unwanted behavior.  Usually you just have to bump the water gun and then the manners are immediately remembered.  You are looking at it the wrong way when you are thinking of it as a threat.  I look at it as the two minute warning bell. 

I guess I'm humanizing the dog again, huh.

Thanks
Sarah

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 09:49:39 am »
Not at all.  Just with my heathens some days it's like a sporting event around here.  There are moments when it's like being in a rodeo that's out of control.  So maybe it would be the 8 second buzzer.  Not to mention sometimes you just can't warn them verbally.  Like when you are on the phone that really scares people.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

doggylover

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:34:15 pm »
LOL you are so loving...I can see you fretting over the water threat idea.  You did the best thing for you and poor waterlogged Einstein!  I'm sure if he was a people, he would thank you!
 ;)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 12:37:34 pm »
Well if you could see the way he avoids water -- except to drink!  He's TERRIFIED of it.  Which, of course, is why it works  :)
Sarah