Author Topic: Advice needed: moving with a cat  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Advice needed: moving with a cat
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:09:17 pm »
Our big move is just a few weeks away!  :) We're relocating to northeastern Oklahoma from Phoenix...a 16 or more hour drive. :P

We plan to take two days to drive it, with an overnight in a hotel along the way.  Sasha and Bella will be bored but ride very well.  Our kitty, however, hates traveling and we're not sure about an overnight at a hotel.  Currently, our best idea is to get two hotel rooms: one for my husband and the newfie girls and one for the cat and me (that way the cat won't escape when the girls go out to potty). 

Anyone have suggestions for moving a cat? ??? 

doggylover

Re: Advice needed: moving with a cat
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:15:32 pm »
Our big move is just a few weeks away!  :) We're relocating to northeastern Oklahoma from Phoenix...a 16 or more hour drive. :P

We plan to take two days to drive it, with an overnight in a hotel along the way.  Sasha and Bella will be bored but ride very well.  Our kitty, however, hates traveling and we're not sure about an overnight at a hotel.  Currently, our best idea is to get two hotel rooms: one for my husband and the newfie girls and one for the cat and me (that way the cat won't escape when the girls go out to potty). 

Anyone have suggestions for moving a cat? ??? 
We can't have cats because Hubby is allergic to them and Badger is deathly afraid of them....Do you have a crate for the kitty?  I would think a crate with her familiar things in it might be less scary for her. 
Good luck with the trip!
 :D

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 01:23:00 pm »
I agree, i have moved with four cats, its a h*ll of a job. but crate the cat. and put a harness/leash on so that when u stop for potty breaks, u can let her out too... its best that way... :) good luck
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 01:27:10 pm »
You should set up a large crate for the cat or lock her in the bathroom in the hotel with her litterbox, food, water dishes and something with your and maybe the newfies(if she likes them) scent to make her feel better. Also a small crate for traveling in the car.

And once you get to your new home, lock her in a bedroom for about 3 days so she won't freak out about the new surroundings.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 01:45:05 pm »
Wow, you all are great!  We've only moved poor Dinkers on one day moves before, never overnighters.  I like the idea of using a big crate or the bathroom for overnight...th at seems pretty secure.  We have a little crate for in the car.  With the newfies in the car, Dinkers was pretty calm...without them he was so scared and unhappy! :-\

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 03:56:49 pm »
In the new place I would recommend getting a Feliway plug-in. It emits a calming pheromone that really helps cats chill out. It also somehow keeps them from marking territory. We bought it because our kitties stopped using the litterbox, and wonder of wonders, since we plugged that thing in they are back to using the litterbox. It's like a miracle.
You can get it at Petsmart I think, or Superpetz, probably any big pet store.
 :)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 03:14:39 pm »
keep her (gender?) in the crate while in the car, but let her out while you can supervise her in the hotel. the plug-ins are very mild i have heard, so make sure to bring her stuff from home and let her have it both in the car, and in the hotel. if one of the dogs filp out diring the trip you may have to separate them from the cat (and vice versa) because they will pick up on all the emotions (good or bad). be safe and good luck!! hope all goes well on your trip!!

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 04:49:34 pm »
I wouldn't try letting her out on a harness. A friend's family did that and the cat was so freaked out she wiggled out and got away. They were actually able to find her (several hours of driving back and forth on weekends with flyers and stuff).

Anyway, keep her crated in the car and bring extra towels for the crate in case she has an accident in there. When at the hotel at night, keep her either in a big dog crate with her litter, food, water, and bedding or in the bathroom with the door shut. Just having her in a separate hotel room may not be enough-many cats will try to make a run for it. Actually, most cats have a "different" personality when stressed; you can have hand-raised kittens take on feral attributes and feral cats so scared that they'll actually sit still for you to pet them. You never know how cats will react in new surroundings unless you've been there/done that with them before (and even then, they may just surprise you).

When you get to the new house, aside from having your stuff around to comfort her, I would keep her in a certain bedroom (preferrably yours or a child's-whomever she's most comfortable with) for a week or so. It makes them more comfortable. It all depends on the cat, of course-I have one that thinks, within five minutes of being somewhere, that he must live there now, so oh, well, might as well claim his spot on the couch. He's weird, though (he can go to petsmart with me and be fine-I think he was a big, lazy dog in another life-he's less territorial than a cat and more pack-oriented like a dog almost).

I've transported cats many, many times (I used to be very active in rescue, particularly cat rescue). If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 07:54:05 am »
If your kitty is up to date on its shots you vet can give you a mild sedative too.  I think one works about 8 hours.  He will take a nice nap...however, since you are going for two days it make make him up at night.  So that may not be the best of ideas.  I would ask your vet for any ideas too.
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 09:12:48 am »
Hehe ;D The first time we moved, our vet gave us some sedatives for the kitty.  My husband drove the cat and our first newfie from Arizona to California, about 8 hours.  Our poor kitty didn't sleep at all...he just yowled the whole way.  I think being drugged scared him too, plus, since he was drugged he made the strangest noises! :P  My husband was miserable too!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 09:31:49 am »
 :o oh no!! I hope it works out better this time. 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."