Author Topic: Soft Poop Anyone  (Read 27823 times)

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Soft Poop Anyone
« on: June 08, 2005, 06:24:27 pm »
I know this is kinda gross, but I was wondering if any other BPO dogs have soft poop?  Both of our Newfies (Bella - 11 months, Rocco - 3 months) poop is pretty soft - not runny, but not that firm.  Is this normal or ok?  We feed them both Solid Gold Wolf King and Merrick Working Dog Stew (in am, split 1 can between them).  Also, like probably every other Newf, they drink gallons of water a day ::)  Would that cause it?  Any feedback is appreciated.
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
Re: Soft Poop Anyone
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 06:27:09 pm »
Yes, may I have some Grey Poupon with that, please?
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 07:17:47 pm »
Bear is the same....not hard, not soft...easy to pick up I'd say. He is also on Solid Gold and Van Pattens beef stick thingy.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 07:30:37 pm »
Zoey was on wolfking for 6 months, and the longer she stayed on it, the softer it got. It finally got to the point when it was too liquidy to pick up normally, and I decided I had had enough. She is now eating wellness brand and now that she had adjusted to it, her poops are normally again (not stiff or too smooshy).
RIP former BPO

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 06:53:25 am »
I just read that a lot of commercial brands of dog food contain stool hardeners.  Perhaps normal dog feces is supposed to be a bit soft?  They stated that the stool hardeners make people come back and buy that particular brand of dog food, because if stools are soft and have to be "scraped" up people often think something is wrong with the food.
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 07:59:50 am »
I have learned my lesson not to eat and read posts on BPO.
Both my guys have soft but not runny poop.  They are on Science Diet, Large Breed Adult.  It doesn't bother me because it sticks together so it is easy to pick up on walks, it smears on the grass a little.  The backyard stays poopy but after a few good rains it is gone to fertilize the weeds and grass. ;D
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline mitchie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Daisy n' Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 02:55:07 pm »
hello!  how you doin??
try switching to the solid gold MMillenia.  Could be that the bison meat is too rich.  Or check the portions.
When Phoebe was a puppy I used her stool consistency as an indication of when to reduce the number
of feedings a day from 3 to 2 and also the amount.  sometimes the hot weather gives them a little upset
belly.    I just love those newfs!!!

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 08:20:16 pm »
my guys are soft semi soft on wysong
no biggie.
they are worm free so it is easier to hose into the ground
good fertilizer
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 09:09:23 pm »
It's funny this came up tonight!!!  I actually was thinking about it when I was cleaning up after Chester and Cowboy and I thought I can always tell whose is whose.  Chester, the puppy, has Eagle Pack large/giant breed puppy food with a bit of the broth from Cowboy's food.  Chester must poop about 8 - 10 times a day!!! and it's soft-ish and can be hard to pick up.  Cowboy has only fresh cooked meat and veg (various meats or fish) and he poops twice a day....about the size of a Castro cigar...and the same consistency. (I know...EWWWWW!)  I can't wait until Chester can be switched (24 months, I think!) to big boy food.  SO much less to clean up.  I think that the real food (meat & veg) must be better utilized so there is less waste.  Hmmmm.  The things we think about!!!!

....and ONLY this group could understand!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 09:49:15 pm »
No thanks I had nachos instead :)
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2005, 10:12:39 pm »
I am so glad that I am not the only one who has a Newf with an upset belly. I didn't know that about the upset belly in the heat thing. Thankks for telling me that.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2005, 04:54:04 am »
Our guys switch on poopies.  They get kibble and homemade switching breakfast to lunch.  Mainly their poops are uhm...normal?   :D
Not soft and not hard.  If they are given fish more than once a week then the poo's will go a little softer.  So we try not to give fish more than once a week.  Chicken all is good.  Green beans, broccoli, oatmeal, fruit...all is good, and kibble all is good.  Just fish more than once a week will cause softer than usual.

Oh and lots of water!!!

Luvmenewfs

BabsT

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2005, 05:26:22 am »
I feed raw and have boston terrier sized firm poops LOL  I wouldnt put it by grocery store brands to put stool hardner in there....

Offline kitty

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005, 07:19:08 am »
i am a newfie breeder in pa and have encountered this problem....it might be worms...differ ent kinds of worms can cause soft BM's..take a sample to your vet. good luck!   KITTY

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005, 09:12:02 am »
Cowboy has only fresh cooked meat and veg (various meats or fish) and he poops twice a day....about the size of a Castro cigar...and the same consistency. (I know...EWWWWW!)  I can't wait until Chester can be switched (24 months, I think!) to big boy food.  SO much less to clean up.  I think that the real food (meat & veg) must be better utilized so there is less waste.  Hmmmm.  The things we think about!!!!
....and ONLY this group could understand!

Ok, I have to know what type of cooked meats and vegies will give us the castro cigar poop.  I have been having problems with Sugar Bear soft to runny stool for the past 6 months on and off.  We have checked everything with the vet and it is still soft. He is now on Lactobacillus-Acidophilus and it is helping some but the does have the gel stuff in his poop on most days.

Lisa
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 09:02:42 pm by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)