Author Topic: OMG!!!! I'm ill!!!  (Read 6160 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
OMG!!!! I'm ill!!!
« on: July 15, 2006, 06:33:43 pm »
Revealed: the man who killed 10,000 dogs
Daniel Foggo
THE secret slaughter of at least 10,000 racing greyhounds by one man has been exposed by an undercover investigation.

For the past 15 years David Smith, a builders’ merchant, has been killing healthy greyhounds no longer considered by their trainers to be fast enough to race. He buries them in a one-acre plot at the back of his home in Seaham, Co Durham.

Last week The Sunday Times covertly filmed Smith on two consecutive days receiving greyhounds from trainers before killing them with a bolt gun, dumping them in the plot and covering over the “graves” using a mechanical digger.

He told an undercover reporter it took him three years to fill the field, at which point he simply started all over again. “Within a year the bodies have gone,” said Smith. “It takes me about three years to get across there and by the time I get there I can start back here again and there are only a few bones left.”

According to Sunday Times calculations and testimony of two racing insiders, it is conservatively estimated Smith has killed at least 10,000 dogs.

The scandal, described as the “canine killing fields” by one campaigner, has shocked the government and greyhound industry, which attracts bets of £2.5 billion a year.

Ben Bradshaw, minister for animal welfare, said Smith’s business was “horrendous” and promised an inquiry into the slaughter and potential health and environmental hazard of such a large-scale dumping of dogs’ bodies. Alistair McLean, chief executive of the National Greyhound Racing Club, which governs the sport, described it as a “euthanasia factory” and promised an inquiry. “This is disgraceful. We categorically don’t endorse this kind of thing,” he said.

The RSPCA has previously expressed “grave concerns” about the fate of up to 12,000 retired greyhounds that go missing every year. A spokesman said: “There is no justification for killing these animals simply because they can’t do their job any more.”

Smith charges owners and trainers £10 to kill unwanted dogs, many only a few years old. One trainer, who asked not to be named, said: “This man kills dogs for 40 licensed trainers and there are at least 10,000 dogs in his field. People in the industry have been going to him for years. Many of the bigwigs knew it was going on.”

Since 1997 anyone has been able to own a bolt gun to kill animals without a licence, although they can be prosecuted if the animals are put down inhumanely or without the owner’s permission. A new code of practice proposed under the animal welfare bill would restrict the killing of greyhounds to vets using “humane” lethal injections.

After being confronted this weekend Smith said he would stop killing dogs, which he said he had done in the past for “humane” reasons.
   Print this article       Send to a friend       Back to top of page

RELATED STORIES
     July 16 2006
Killing field of the dog racing industry

:'(

doggylover

Re: OMG!!!! I'm ill!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 07:30:20 pm »
This is hideous.  I wouldn't have read it had I known what this thread was.  I thought maybe a BPO'r was sick.  This kind of thing gives me nightmares.  Of course, it could have been worse, the dogs could have all been sold to class b dealers who would torture them, then sell them to medical/cosmetics companies to be tortured daily for the rest of their lives. 
In a world where there are no substantial laws protecting animals, where there are sadistic/apathetic/mentally ill people who don't appreciate what 'dominion' means...someti mes swift death is the least bad thing that could happen.  These trainers cared SO LITTLE for these dogs, that they knowingly released them to this sadistic/stupid/mean/heartless/souless man to be done with whatever he pleased.  With nobody caring, with nobody understanding or appreciating the value of life, or of their life as being as significant and valuable as ours...I'm glad they were shot, and not worse.
I'm crying now.     

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:45:31 pm »
There will be a judgment day for the evil that man inflicts on our animal brothers & sisters...I wholly believe that...I would ask God to take pity on their souls but I am not a good enough Christian to do that. >:( :'(

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 09:05:12 pm »
It's sometimes too bad that dogs in the after life would not become avvenging evil spriits to haunt this man to his grave.

But they (dogs) don't know evil in this world or the next.

I agree that some kind of justice needs to happen here.
Everyone knows this is wrong,is there a law he can be prosecuted under.

I mean something more than a fine.

Magic

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 09:24:53 pm »
That makes me so angry  >:(
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: OMG!!!! I'm ill!!! 'doggylovr is gonna be p* off
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 11:40:17 pm »
I agree with everybody else:  there had better be a H3ll and he'd better be on his way there.  There is just absolutely NO reason for this.  It looks like it took place in Britain, and I would imagine it would sicken people there as well.

I really, REALLY don't like people sometimes!!!  And I'm sorry, doggylover, that you got the wrong impression.  That wasn't fair.   I can't read animal cruelity posts either and I should have put a warning in the thread title.  I just was so sickened by the story (on www.drudge.com) and I always feel better after you guys share my outrage! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 08:07:56 am by newflvr »

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 12:55:17 am »
I agree with everybody else:  there had better be a H3ll and he'd better be on his way there.  There is just absolutely NO reason for this.  It looks like it took place in Britain, and I would imagine it would sicken people there as well.

I really, REALLY don't like people sometimes!!!  And I'm sorry, doggylover, that you got the wrong impression.  That wasn't fair.   I can't read animal cruelity posts either and I should have put a warning in the thread title.  I just was so sickened by the story (on www.drudge.com) and I always feel better after you guys share my outrage! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
NEWFLVR, It's ok  ;) next time, in the thread just put 'doggylovr is gonna be p* off'...and then I'll read it so I can share your pain, but I'll be warned.  If it takes away some of the frustration over these things to hear us say we too are outraged, post them, and I for one, will read them.  Sometimes we feel so alone, most people don't get it.  Most people don't get the horror of these things. 
 :'(