Author Topic: Argh !! I am a bad Furkid Mommy ! ! MATTS!  (Read 16161 times)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Argh !! I am a bad Furkid Mommy ! ! MATTS!
« on: July 16, 2006, 12:45:51 pm »
Hello gang...

Is there any such home recipe for detangler/loosen matts. ???

I really hate to shave her... shoot...shoot. ..
It is so close to her skin. 
She got matts on her neck from her collar.
I cut some with sissors, and combed out some. BUT she doesn't want me to touch her tail feather, and butt.

Is human hair conditioners safe to use on dogs?

I knew I should have bought dog hair conditioner, now I have to wait til nex pay  :'(

Any '2 cents' is greatly appreciated.  ;)

doggylover

Re: Argh !! I am a bad Furkid Mommy ! ! MATTS!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:49:00 pm »
When they are super close to the skin, the only thing I've ever found to work is shaving.  I know you can use detangler, and work them out slowly with a comb but I'm sure it hurts the dog, because you are pulling the hair.  I would swallow hard and get the shaver out!
OH OH OH and then post pics!
 :D

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 12:50:30 pm »
 :D :P

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:12:37 pm »
Can you get someone to help hold her while you cut out the mats?...I have my kids each hold a leash...One around the dogs neck & one around their belly right in front of the hind legs...Good luck!...& don't feel too badly...it happens. :)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:17:01 pm »
Oh, I am lucky enough that she doesn't move (when I catch her sleeping).  Just when cutting with sissors, and it is really close to her skin.

Offline Imani's Mom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • My Chinchilla Page
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 05:42:13 pm »
Ok, don't panic.  Also do not get her wet- that makes the mats tighten.   If there is hope for combing for hours to work the mats out, you can coat them with corn starch, work it in, and start working the mats out with your fingers and a comb.  If it is beyond that, have someone hold her still, and cut with very sharp scissors into the mats at a 90* angle to the skin. Yes, straight in toward the skin- it breaks it up, and you will be able to comb the mats out without having large bald or chopped areas of hair.

Weedsport, NY

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 05:53:52 pm »
I don't have any tips, but I agree with doggylover. If you have to shave any, take pics because the members here love to laugh. (Still remembering Dolly's new haircut pics)  ;)
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

DakotaMom

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 06:40:06 pm »
If it is beyond that, have someone hold her still, and cut with very sharp scissors into the mats at a 90* angle to the skin. Yes, straight in toward the skin- it breaks it up, and you will be able to comb the mats out without having large bald or chopped areas of hair.

I have done this and found that it works very well. I have two Leos and have had to deal with matts.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 06:50:36 pm »
Oh nuts... straight down you say... yikes... her neck looks choppy now...
Let me get a pic of her...

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 06:59:37 pm »
Oh nuts... straight down you say... yikes... her neck looks choppy now...
Let me get a pic of her...
It can't be as bad as my sister's Collie, Chopper looks right now...He stayed her while they went camping & he was SO matted on his back legs...He doesn't take kindly to being made matt free so it looks like someone took a weedwacker to his back end now! :-\ I hope my sister at least appreciates the effort! :D :D :D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 10:35:29 pm »
I must be lucky...except for coat blowing season Sam & Pippin are pretty low maintenance... I  jsut have to keep an eye out behind their ears & their fur pants...Honest ly though they are probably getting groomed good every 2 weeks...The rake brush really does for me...I've had to do no cutting on Pippin ever & very little on Sam.

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 12:28:11 am »
Oh boy... I have finished watching TV... now to work on Kuma while she sleeps.... hee hee ::)

Offline BlackGreatF

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2006, 02:30:27 am »
OK, gang... like I promised  :o  :o
Oh boy... I am really bad at this and I think I shouldn't quit my day job.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 02:31:20 am by BlackGreatF »

Offline joonsjolly

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2006, 03:12:08 pm »
I know this is an 'old' thread, but since I'm new here, thought I'd add my two coppers. 

I use Chris Christensen Ice on Ice, and After the Bath with my mop of a Giant Schnauzer... but....

In a pinch you can use Downy. Yes, Downy.  Dilute it just enough so that it will get in the mat, and then use either a mat rake, or ONE blade of a pair of grooming scissors (don't have to ruin your shears, just hold them open.) Take the blade of the shears, and slide it under the mat, against the skin, careful if you are using sharp shears... and then 'saw' thru the mat with your scissors. Then use pin brushes and wide toothed combs to pick out the mats. They should be 'cut' into more manageable sizes, and can be shaved out if necessary, but leaving enough hair to cover the gaps.  When brushing for tangles (not undercoat removal), brushing when the hair/mat is wet, or at least damp is the best for the coat to reduce breakage and frizzies. 

As for the Downy.  I was a pet groomer for many years, and it was one of the tricks of the trade for mats, heavy undercoats, and silky, drop coated breeds.  I never saw or heard of (from owners) any dog having a reaction to using it, even dogs with Cocker Crud or Schnauzer Scales.  You just have to make sure it it rinsed properly, then after rinsing, rinse again just to be sure. We always used just good old original scented, original concentrate Downy. 

Aside from helping with mats and to get the undercoat out, it left them smelling 'sunshine fresh' and 'static free.'

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 03:51:10 pm »
I have never used Downy but have heard of that *groomer trick* I usually use whaever conditioner I use on my hair deluted of course.

Back when I had Collies and it was that time of year when coats are blowing I would just buy the cheapest creme rinse I could find (by the gallons) cause I had lots of Collies then and I would bath them and then just goop that creme rinse full strenght) on from nose to tail and turn them lose for about 1/2 and hour.then I would rinse  and rinse and rinse and rinse.that is the key you don't want to leave any conditioner in their coat. did I mention rinse.

After that I would turn them all loose and with in 20 minutes it looked like it was snowing in the back yard in August. After they were dry they each got their turn on the grooming table and there were few if any matts to deal with and the ones they did have wer not that difficult to comb or cut out.

We all have these things happen,depending on the dog,and their tolerance to the brush and comb shaving isn't a bad thing,and it can be the quickest way to relieve the problem for both dog and person.

The different between a good hair cut and a bad one is about two weeks (for people) a bit longer for dogs .

When I did do grooming,sometimes it was the kindest thing to do as well for the dog,always making them feel afterward like they were the best looking dog alive.And most of them believed it.

Good luck
Tricia and the fur kids.